Paranormal Historian Blog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paranormal Historian Blog

Good day all, and to all a good day. I have finally set up my Paranormal Historian Blog and will be sharing my work here, this is two fold.

1. To share with the members of JTRForums.Com, who have been supportive in all my endevours. This is my way of giving them exclusive access to my research and work.

2. To stop simple minded copy and paste thiefs who cannot formulate their own ideas, and so seek fit to steal everyone elses.

The fiend in bandages. "Cannibal" victim had his revenge

Only four men escaped when the British square-rigged yacht Pierrot capsized in the Atlantic in July 1884. Huddled in a battered dinghy, they drifted for 25 days. Near death from starvation and exposure, Captain Edwin Rutt then made a last desperate suggestion. Lots should be drawn to determine which of the four would be eaten. Two of the sailors agreed with Rutt, but 18-year-old Dick Tomlin, the youngest crewman, protested that he would rather die than eat human flesh. Tomlin's resistance sealed his fate. At the first opportunity Rutt crept toward the sleeping boy and drove a knife into his neck. The mate Josh Dudley and seaman Will Hoon had no reservations about cannibalism. When they were rescued by the yacht Gellert four days later, it was the slain boy's flesh that had sustained them. The horror-stricken master of the Gellert rejected the idea of burial at sea. Hidden away underneath a tarpaulin, the body of the victim accompanied the three survivors to the Cornish port of Falmouth. All three were condemned to death for murder on the high seas. But the Home Secretary decided that there had been horror enough and commuted the sentence to six months imprisonment. No one could have known that the horrors were only beginning. When the three men were freed from jail, they found little future. To keep body and soul together, Josh Dudley found work as a drayman. Two weeds later his team of horses saw something that frightened them in the middle of a foggy London street. Bolting, they tossed Dudley to the cobblestones when his head shattered. Witnesses said the thing in the fog had been a figure swathed from head to foot in bloodstained bandages. After Dudley's death, the figure mysteriously vanished. With fear beginning to take root, Captain Rutt went to the Soho slums and sought out Will Hoon. He found the old seaman far gone in drink, a sodden derelict in desperately bad health. Rutt told Hoon that some vengeance-crazed relative was masquerading as Dick Tomlin's ghost, and he urged Hoon to help him ferret out the plotter. But Hoon wanted only more gin, and in a last delirium, he was taken to the charity ward of a hospital where he died in a screaming fit. Witnesses said later that another patient "dressed all in bandages" had been holding Hoon down, apparently trying to soothe him. Then the patient vanished. Now in a state og abject horror, Rutt went to the police. They scoffed at his tales of a "figure in bandages". But in view of the captain's mental condition, they offered him one night of lodging in a cell. Rutt went gratefully to the cell, checking twice to be sure he was locked in. It was a cell block for the disturbed in London, and screams in the night were not uncommon. But when at 3 am the police heard the captain, some distinctive quality in his cries brought warders running. They unlocked the door and went to his bunk, where Rutt lay with his knees scissored upward and his dead eyes like marbles. Clenched in his fingers the shocked bobbies saw shreds of cotton. And bloodstained gauze. -

The story featured in the following publications,

The World's Greatest Ghosts, Roger Boar and Nigel Blundell,1983, Octopus Books, 1991, Hamlyn Publishing, re-printed in 1984, 1987, 1988, 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1994.

The Weekly World News, October 6th 1981, Vol. 2, No. 52

The story had me interested for years, so much so that I had wanted to create a screen play based on the events as they unfolded, sadly, Universal released The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser, and the idea was scrapped. Then in 2011 I was asked to tell a ghost story and the first that sprung to mind was this very story. I told it to a captivated audience and then afterwards asked if anyone actually believed it. No one did, and I started to think that maybe it needed researching a little more. We are lucky that names, dates, and ship names are mentioned, so here is my research.

We know, at least based on the story, that the Pierrot capsized in "July 1884."

A thorough search through a list of shipwrecks for the year 1884 fails to include any mention of the Pierrot.

A thorough search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online failed to find a Pierrot capsizing in 1884.

A thorough search of the Australian Newspapers online failed to find a Pierrot capsizing in 1884.

A thorough search of the New Zealand Newspapers online failed to find a Pierrot capsizing in 1884.

A thorough search of the American Library of Congress Newspapers online failed to find a Pierrot capsizing in 1884.

We know, at least based on the story, that the Captain of the vessel "Pierrot" was Captain Edwin Rutt.

A search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online failed to find any mention of Captain Edwin Rutt, Edwin Rutt.

A search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online found a Captain Rutt.

The Morning Post, October 14th 1836, and The Bristol Mercury, October 15th 1836, mentions a Captain Rutt and his entire crew perishing when their large vessel was wrecked at Torbay near Plymouth. The report was also featured in

Jackson's Oxford Journal, October 15th 1836,

The Champion, October 16th 1836,

The London Dispatch and People's Political and Social Reformer, October 16th 1836,

The Champion, October 17th 1836,

The Brighton Patriot and South England Free Press, October 18th 1836,

The Bury and Norwhich Post, and East Anglian: Or, Suffolk, Norfolk, Essex, Cambridge, and Ely Intelligencer, October 19th 1836,

The London Dispatch and People's Political and Social Reformer, October 19th 1836,

The problem is, this report states that everyone perished, including the Captain, and it predates the alleged incident by 48 years.

A search of the National Archives showed no sign of any records pertaining to Edwin Rutt.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at Ancestry for Edwin Rutt found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at FreeBMD for Edwin Rutt found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

A search of the 1880 American Census, and the 1881 British Census revealed no Edwin Rutt working in the sea going trades. In fact, most were too young.

We know, at least based on the story, that one of the crew members was called Dick Tomlin. As Dick is a version of Richard I will search for both names.

A search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online found no mention of Dick/Richard Tomlin.

A search of the National Archives showed no sign of any records pertaining to Dick/Richard Tomlin.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at Ancestry for Dick/Richard Tomlin found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at FreeBMD for Dick/Richard Tomlin found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

We know, at least based on the story, that one of the crew members was called Josh Dudley. As Josh is a version of Joshua I will search for both names.

A search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online found no mention of Josh/Joshua Dudley.

A search of the National Archives showed no sign of any records pertaining to Josh/Joshua Dudley.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at Ancestry for Josh/Joshua Dudley found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at FreeBMD for Josh/Joshua Dudley found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

We know, at least based on the story, that one of the crew members was called Will Hoon. As Will is a version of William I will search for both names.

A search of the 19th Century British Newspapers online found no mention of Will/William Hoon, near the period in question.

A search of the National Archives showed no sign of any records pertaining to Will/William Hoon.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at Ancestry for Will/William Hoon found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

A search of the Births, Marriages and Death Records at FreeBMD for Will/William Hoon found no matching death records for 1883/1884/1885/1886/1887/1888/1889.

We know, at least based on the story, that the ship that rescued the three men and the body was named the Gellert.

Several 19th Century British Newspapers show that a ship named Gellert was stationed in New York over the period in which the incident occured.

We know, at least based on the story, that the case was brought before the Home Secretary.

Sir James Graham, Bt, was the Home Secretary from September 6th 1841 until June 30th 1846.

It looks as though this was nothing more than a fabrication from start to finish, but who created the story is unknown!

Copyright: Mike Covell Sunday November 13th 2011.

Copies of this blog have been posted at the Paranormal Gateway and JTRForums.com. Any copy and pasting will result in legal action.

Comment

The Ghost of Jenny Brough Lane.

In 1987 a family were residing on the Jenny Brough Lane, on the outskirts of Kingston upon Hull, when they were woke up at 3.00 in the morning by the sounds of a girl screaming. The homeowner was quite rightly concerned, and got up and dressed, and went off to investigate. Why he never rang the police is beyond me, but still, I guess given the fact that someone could need help right away, I think we would all try to offer help.
      He decided to walk from one end of the lane to the other and back, trying to establish where the incident occured, but he could find no source, nor any person. He did hear more screams, and many of them seemed to originate all around him, then they stopped as soon as they started.

Other family living on the lane have also reported screams, and many believe the ghostly voices are those of Jenny Brough, with local folklore stating that the lane was named after her.

It is unknown whether this is true, and nobody actually knows who Jenny Brough is, furthermore, it is unknown how she died, or whether she was murdered. Some theorists believe she was drowned in a local pond, which sits behind the trees that run parallel to the lane.

Many people would have the story end there, but I hate that, it all sounds like another local ghostly legend and one that needs researching.

The facts of the matter are, a thorough search of the entire collection of 19th Century Newspapers online showed no such name. A thorough search of the 16th and 17th Century Burnley Collection also failed to reveal the name, as did the archives for the Times Online, Daily Mirror, Sun, Express, and several other national newspapers.

A search of the entire collection of Yorkshire, English, and British BMD also failed to turn up a Jenny Brough being born, marrying, or dying in the area.

Ancestry, Find My Past, and local records at Hull History Centre also drew a blank with no records of a Jenny Brough being born, marrying, or dying in the area.

And before anyone mentions the obvious, I also searched for Jen, Jenn, Jenny and Jenni and still failed to find any evidence of her ever living or dying in the region.

Copyright: Mike Covell Sunday November 13th 2011.

Copies of this blog have been posted at the Paranormal Gateway and JTRForums.com. Any copy and pasting will result in legal action.

Comment

Site: http://paranormalhistorian.webs.com/index.htm

Comment

Working...
        X