Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Mystery of the Dyatlov Pass Campers

http://www.environmentalgraffiti.com/news-dyatlov-pass

Strange story indeed. I wonder did they get delusional due to hyperthermia.

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...tain-1959.html

Comment

CRACKED on the Case

http://www.cracked.com/article_16671...solutions.html

Comment

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...planation.html

Comment

Tried to watch a Renny Harlin directed film on this story...but it was like watching a training film on spleen transplants....very boring.
            To Join JTR Forums :
            Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Update, 2019

Youtube kept offering me videos on the Dyatlov Incident but I would not watch until recently because I erroneously assumed it was about UFO´s or about people stranded in the mountains who had to eat each other. (Considering the latter, we have the Donner Party in our western history.)

Anyway, the Dyatlov Incident was about nine ski/hikers quite a few kilometers north of Ekaterinburg, Russia, in the Ural Mountains right in or next to Siberia. These young men and women were highly trained and provisioned for what we might now call Nordic camping or Nordic adventure.

On the nights of February 1-2, 1959 they camped near the crest of a mountain the natives call Dead Mountain. It appears they were retiring for the night though a couple of them may have been viewing glowing orange orbs in the sky and taking pictures of them.

At some point those inside slashed a hole in the side of their tent and all nine went--walked or ran depending on the source-- about 2,000 meters down the mountain to treeline. Some left the tent barefooted or with only socks on their feet and little more than underwear. It is said there was a howling wind and the temperature was around -25 C. What could possibly go wrong?

They all died. Some froze to death and some had peculiar injuries which were probably causes of death.

The Soviet military entered the investigation and nobody knows if there was a cover up. Keeping that story short, the Dyatlov Pass area was closed to the public for four years after the event. Since then many people have combed the area looking for clues.

This year, on the 60th anniversary of the tragedy, the Russian government has announced they will reinvestigate several main points. If this link works, there is good information here: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-02-...eaths/10784574

The new Russian probe will apparently limit itself to ¨natural phenomena¨. Russian prosecutor Alexander Kerennoi was quoted in the article linked above that, ¨all of the deaths are somehow connected with natural phenomena.¨

The same article claims that chief justice Andrei Kuryalov in Ekaterinburg, has released old files not previously made public.

Author Keith McCloskey (website=> www.kiethmccloskey.com ), wrote a good book and has done a lot of interviews over several years. These interviews are available on youtube.

There are a lot of theories about what happened but I think McCloskey´s approach and findings are likely to be the most accurate.

It would be fascinating if a modern forensics team could go in there and do a complete investigation, everything possible. (It looks like families will not allow the victims to be disinterred.)

~~~~~

(Personally I would not waste time wondering about radiation allegedly found on some clothing belonging to the hikers. Two of them were university students studying nuclear physics. The nuclear industry was less careful back then and the Soviets also had a number of accidents.)
              The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I take it animal activity has been ruled out. Thinking of bears, wolves maybe.

Comment

I read somewhere that hypothermia was involved. One of the effects of hypothermia is that the victim feels hot. This is because as the body core temperature drops the surrounding air feels a lot warmer. As a result those suffering from hypothermia tend to discard clothing hence the victims wearing very little clothing. IIRC the damage to the tents and the bodies was due to wild animals scavenging.

Comment

PLEASE GO TO POST #12 ABOVE. I will leave my original post here since it is a reply to questions. I believe a Swedish expedition has solved the mystery and the real story is so heroic that I have been scurrying around deleting comments I made in various places. That said, I stand by my comment about the Soviets and nuclear issues. My source is my late husband--much older than me--who was a nuclear physicist. The Swedish site linked in Post #12 above says something similar concerning traces of radiation said to be on some clothing belonging to the nine dead ski-hikers in 1959. The Dyatlov Incident is apparently a sensitive issue and as a serious writer and researcher I never want to disseminate inaccurate or unnecessarily inflammatory information so I have given my source. The early history of the nuclear industry both here and in the Soviet Union is very scary.

Hi Phillip and String: Animal predation or cause should be ruled out IMO. McCloskey also rules this out because of lack of bite marks or severe maiming of the remains. IMO there was some sign of postmortem scavenging by wildlife and also in my opinion, the tongue missing from one woman was the work of animal scavengers.

Some theorists cannot refrain from blaming yeti--formerly called the Abominal Snowman--but there is as yet no proof that yeti even exist and the bodies did not appear savaged by animals. (Our northwestern counterpart to Yeti is bigfoot, a.k.a. sasquatch, fondly shortened to ´squatch if you are hunting them on a lucrative TV show. I can wax eloquent on this subject if anyone wants information. In short, I do not believe they exist.)

Hypothermia caused many of the deaths in the Dyatlov Incident but IMO it was not the cause of the incident. Paradoxical undressing occurs when blood which has been protecting vital internal organs rushes to the surface areas, causing a person to feel too hot.

At first glance the incident looks like there was mass insanity in the group. I wondered if they had found some mushrooms under the snow, consumed them and found them to be toxic. Another thought was ergot poisoning which would require tainted grain or bread.

After listening to over half a dozen long podcasts with McColskey and some others, the scenario I find more likely is that two or more hikers were outside the tent looking at and photographing strange, orange orbs in the sky. They were fully dressed. Whether these orbs were military, such as parachute bombs, or unidentified natural objects*, the guys outside gave warning to those inside to get the hell out, NOW!

*(Should we invent a new term: UNO for Unidentified Natural Object? Or UNFO for Unidentified Natural Flying Object. I am really tired of UFO´s and space aliens getting blamed for everything, and am certainly tired of reading about them building the pyramids and many other things.)

The 2019 Russian investigation will look at natural causes. It might be worthwhile at this time to recall the Tunguska blast--now called the Tunguska incident--which happened in Siberia in 1906. A few years ago another comet fragment soared through Chelyabinsk, also in Siberia and not too far from Dyatlov Pass. Do asteroids and comet chunks have an affinity for Siberia? More likely, IMO, the outer space pattern for these items lines up with Siberia at this time.

Some actions that look crazy in the Dyatlov Incident actually make sense. For instance, their Soviet military tent closed with buttons. (Apparently zippers were not yet invented in the Soviet Union. The actual explanation is that soldiers could sew on buttons if one came off. I would also theorize that metal zippers from those days could freeze up in Russian winter conditions. Velcro was not yet invented anywhere though God had already invented the cocklebur upon which Velcro is based.)

So a fast, life saving exit could necessitate slashing the tent wall. Pictures of the tent show the slashes, I think, near the front opening but on the side. It looks like a strong downward slash from top to bottom and a horizontal slash near the top.

But what could have been so threatening that experienced arctic campers would leave without clothing and especially boots? At minimum, why not grab as much as possible, including a sleeping bag or two, while running out? I have camped out in winter at very low temperatures but not in as bad conditions as were had at Dyatlov Pass. You cannot risk even moments improperly exposed to windchill, snow, etc. Feet must certainly be protected yet some of the campers seem to have run out into the night barefooted or in stocking feet.

(Of course there is a conspiracy theory that the campers died at the tent site and bodies were moved by the military, etc. This is actually possible.)

The campers were not necessarily running away, but rather running to a base camp and cached supplies at treeline about 2,000 meters downhill. That was where they built a fire under a tree, etc.

Six of them died of hypothermia. Three seemed to be headed back to the tent. Three died in a ravine, described as about 9 meters deep. Some accounts suggest this was used as a deliberate snow shelter and others suggest these people were going farther back into the trees and fell into the ravine. These people were severely injured with broken ribs and other damage.

I don´t see why the injuries to these people could not have happened by falling into the snow covered ravine, perhaps falling on top of each other. The Soviet investigators compared the injuries to those sustained in a car crash. Soft snow can fill deep features in the landscape and if you jump into or fall into such depressions it is the same as falling off a roof. I have known people severely injured in this way.

So, did the campers fear something falling from the sky on top of them? One Soviet investigator said there were burn marks over the tops of some trees in the area. Does Tunguska or Chelyabinsk come to mind?

Comment

There is a recent short video here=> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lu9L0Q0S0Gg

It is in Russian but the pictures are self explanatory. At 5:23 is the location of the three bodies of those appearing to return to the tent. First to the left is I. Dyatlov.

There are a couple forensic photos that I cannot figure out and the presenter is talking too fast for me to get an idea since I am far from fluent in the language.

Anyway, there are some great location pictures from 1959 and recently, along with various diagrams.

Comment

Here is a reasonable and well researched solution to the mystery with comparison to a similar event in Sweden in 1978. A Swedish expedition spent the 60th anniversary night on the mountain, February 2019. Their conclusions tell a tale of extreme heroism and deliberate and intelligent actions by the nine ski-hikers in 1959. The site linked below--yes it works--answers all questions except the lights in the sky which probably have no part in the main story.

https://dyatlovpass.com/swedish-russ...ion-2019?lid=1

Comment

National Geographic article. Convincing solution using data from crash-test dummies

Has science solved the Dyatlov Pass incident, one of history’s greatest adventure mysteries? (nationalgeographic.com)

Comment

Working...
                          X