The Donovan Case In October 1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Donovan Case In October 1889

I think this case might be of interest to those embroiled in the "Tumblety bail" arguments.

Daily News
    November 12, 1889

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

My mistake...it should have read Donovan, not Goodman, in the threadstarter.

I tried the Old Bailey...but didn't see this case.
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

One maybe worth hunting down in regard to bail conditions etc. if possible How, is the story of James Hunt and Alfred Frederick Myerson, both on gross indecency charges at the Old Bailey on 19th November 1888.

Comment

Something About November....

Thank you Debs...I tried locating this Ellen Donovan for this offense to no avail, yet. I didn't sic Nina on her through the censuses....

The Hunt/Myerson affair that you mention is worth looking into....

What caught my attention in the Donovan/Caldon story was the mention of this Donovan woman being "charged"...and then granted bail by Mr. Saunders.
        It does present some possibilities for future discussion....and the funny thing is, is that I'm sure you've seen this article before....I must have seen this one 20 times in the last 2 years.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

1888 seems to have been a busy year at the Old Bailey for gross indecency cases.

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
            Thank you Debs...I tried locating this Ellen Donovan for this offense to no avail, yet. I didn't sic Nina on her through the censuses....

The Hunt/Myerson affair that you mention is worth looking into....

What caught my attention in the Donovan/Caldon story was the mention of this Donovan woman being "charged"...and then granted bail by Mr. Saunders.
            It does present some possibilities for future discussion....and the funny thing is, is that I'm sure you've seen this article before....I must have seen this one 20 times in the last 2 years.
            I obviously didn't read the article properly then if that's the argument!

Comment

Debs:

The way it appears to me is that this Ellen Donovan was charged for complicity in her stepmother's death...but granted bail.
              I believe one of the arguments that pro-Tumbletyites make is that Tumblety was charged for complicity in the Whitechapel Murders....but granted bail.
              Some argue against him being granted bail, while this example of Donovan & the stepmother....unless I am misreading it and I might be...shows one could get granted bail.
              I don't for a nanosecond suspect Tumblety and he's on the bottom of any and every suspect list that someone could provide for perusal....he's as safe as milk as far as I'm concerned.
              But this example of someone being charged with the complicity in the death of an individual and then being granted bail is something I thought might be of interest.
              Apparently I was mistaken about that since no one has commented on the issue other than you.

Thanks for the reply,Debs.
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, I'm so dim, I thought the argument wasn't about being charged about the WM? It was about being bailed 'twice' on the one charge of gross indecency?

Comment

Debs:

I wasn't referring to Tumblety's charge of gross indecency....
                  I thought that this article on Donovan and Caldon, the dead stepmother, displays a case of someone receiving bail, although they are charged with complicity in the death of an individual or individuals.

People have been arguing about Tumblety not being granted bail IF he was charged with complicity in the Whitechapel Murders.

I just thought that this case proved that someone could get bail...and Donovan did...if they were charged with something relative to the death of a person.

I'm also not arguing whether he, Tumblety, did or didn't get bail as some people have been discussing...rather that this might be a good place for discussing that issue.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                  X