Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

List Of Lodging House Owners ( October 6, 1888 )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• List Of Lodging House Owners ( October 6, 1888 )

I don't recall seeing the list of lodging house owners presented in this article in the Gazette all together in one place anywhere . Casebook has an article from the same paper and on the same date, but not this one. If someone has already put together a list of these people elsewhere, please let me know. Thank you.

St. James's Gazette
    October 6, 1888

To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

The king of tbe Lodging House owners was Oyler, the Spitalfields fruit merchant who later moved to the market gardens of Cheshunt, very close to where Amos Simpson's son lived. Their business operated out of Spitalfields until the market moved to Leyton. Continuity in an age of change.
    He must surely have been the capo di tutti capi of the Lords of Spitalfields.
    Pizer must have stayed at his notorious lodging house in the Great Peter Street slum in Westminster. This was between the Nichols and Chapman murders.
    Of all the lodging houses in all the world he had to walk into that one.

Comment

The king of tbe Lodging House owners was Oyler, the Spitalfields fruit merchant.....He must surely have been the capo di tutti capi of the Lords of Spitalfields.

He must also have been the capo di tutti frutti.

Comment

It must have been impossible to enforce the rule about only married couples sharing a bed or a room. As loose as was what constituted marriage in those days, the word or the couple must have sufficed. Thus Kate Eddowes Conway became Mary Anne Kelly, for example. I wonder if Mary Jane Kelly was ever Mary Jane Barnett, or Marie Janet Barnett, when they stayed in lodging houses prior to Millers Court? Maybe she was Mary Anne Barnett...
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
          The king of tbe Lodging House owners was Oyler, the Spitalfields fruit merchant.....He must surely have been the capo di tutti capi of the Lords of Spitalfields.

He must also have been the capo di tutti frutti.
          Looking at his photo, I'd say more like Capo Di Monte:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	25.4 KB
ID:	557350

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
            It must have been impossible to enforce the rule about only married couples sharing a bed or a room. As loose as was what constituted marriage in those days, the word or the couple must have sufficed. Thus Kate Eddowes Conway became Mary Anne Kelly, for example. I wonder if Mary Jane Kelly was ever Mary Jane Barnett, or Marie Janet Barnett, when they stayed in lodging houses prior to Millers Court? Maybe she was Mary Anne Barnett...
            I sincerely hope not!

Comment

No wonder the ancient brotherhood of knackers did for her - fancy using and abusing one of their trade names.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                I sincerely hope not!

Might be worth considering when we search court records....
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                X