Paper read by Dr. G. Brown 1903 re: Whitechapel Murders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paper read by Dr. G. Brown 1903 re: Whitechapel Murders

Has anyone seen this published anywhere?

British Medical Journal 1903

I guess it was not published. Too bad.

Scientific and Learned Societies of Great Britain

Comment

Hi Jerry.

The Medico - Legal Society still exists and might well be able to help you.

https://www.medico-legalsociety.org.uk/journal/

Rgds
      John

Comment

Hi Jerry,

The Lancet, 21st February 1903.

Click image for larger version

Name:	THE LANCET 21 FEB 1903.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	121.0 KB
ID:	558786

Regards,

Simon

Comment

Thank you John and Simon.

Comment

insane slaughterer

Hello Simon. Thanks for posting this.

An insane slaughterer? Hmmm.

Cheers.
            LC

Comment

Hi Lynn,

Not quite as wacky an idea as a Polish Jew or barrister-at-law.

I hope you and Deborah are well.

Regards,

Simon

Comment

So, the murderer could not have been motivated by robbery or jealousy owing to the "depraved" status of the victims? Is that a typo/mishearing of "deprived", or did "depraved" mean something different back then?
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  did "depraved" mean something different back then?
                  Apparently not, having looked it up. Must have been a typo or a mishearing of "deprived".
                  Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                  (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

How can you be jealous of deprivation?

I think this has something to do with what Iím talking about regarding Envy in the other thread. Nice find. Good eye, Sam. I didnt pick that up when I read it.

Comment

Originally posted by San Fran View Post
                      How can you be jealous of deprivation?
                      I guess what he meant is that a person motivated by jealousy is unlikely to target a deprived person, of whom nobody is likely to be jealous.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

[QUOTE=San Fran;345384]How can you be jealous of deprivation?

Jealous of a simple and relatively uncomplicated existence perhaps is what was meant , definitely not a new phenomenon . Although I believe the wrong word was used to express the true meaning of the statement . Perhaps ( at the time ) for lack of a better one .

Comment

Okay Sam, I get what you mean. It says "considering their depraved state." But it's confusing with there being at least five victims in their estimate. How could he be jealous of five different women at the same time even if they weren't in a depraved state and "too depraved" or unattractive to be jealous of.

Parodox, interesting answer to my question. I thought it was suggesting someone could kill out of jealousy of a non-depraved state, the killer being depraved or deprived.

Comment

It's not a case of his being jealous of five different women at the same time. The implication is that some killers are jealous of something that their victims possess: money, health, success, status, etc. However, according to Brown, the Ripper didn't fall into this category because his victims didn't possess anything to be jealous of, on account of their state of chronic deprivation.
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Don't you include jealousy of a romantic rival, which F. Brown doesn't think there could be, because they're prostitutes so there's more than just the problem of a single rival? Or maybe he was lumping Robbery and Jealousy or Greed and Jealousy together.

Motives and Reasons, Jealousy and/or Unrequited Love, Envy Jealousy and Homicide
                              https://www.jtrforums.com/showthread...412#post345412

I think he was going through all the Motives he could think of for Homicide in general, Serial or single murder -

Greed, Lust, Jealousy....and he singled out Sadism. I think he was right in excluding Lust Killing but Sadism makes no sense since they were strangled. Maybe he didn't know about that.

Comment

Working...
                              X