Dr Killeen of Brick Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dr Killeen of Brick Lane

I’ve put this together at warp-speed to kill some time during lockdown, so it’s very much an ongoing project (E&OE). I’m still something of a novice when it comes to Irish research, but I’m gradually getting to grips with its idiosyncrasies.

Timothy Robert Killeen was born on the 5th August, 1864 in Cloonfeagh townland, near Ennis, County Clare. His parents were Michael, a farmer, and Mary (nťe Frost). He was baptised on the 10th August at Kilmaley church, his sponsors being Michael and Ellen Frost. The baptism record appears to have his surname as Kelleen.

Griffith’s valuation of 1855 shows Michael Killeen occupying a house, offices and 272 acres of land in Cloonfeagh leased from one Thomas Crowe. Michael is also shown as leasing a house to a Patrick Conway. Killeen and Conway were the only residents recorded in Cloonfeagh, which was a small rural townland consisting of just 272 acres.

As a farmer of 272 acres, and as Patrick Conway’s landlord, Michael Killeen would have been a man of some substance, at least by local standards, but perhaps not in a position to independently finance his son’s education in Dublin. The 1890 medical directory, presumably compiled in 1889, shows Timothy Killeen as having returned to Cloonfeagh after his brief spell in London and recorded his medical qualifications as:

Licentiate of the King and Queen’s College of Physicians in Ireland (1886).

Licentiate of the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland (1885).

Licentiate of Midwifery, Coombe Hospital, Dublin (1887).

Also mentioned are the Catholic University, and St. Vincent’s and Mater Misericordiae hospitals in Dublin.

Killeen’s time in London had been very short, and as a consequence there is very little evidence of his time there. The Tabram case is obviously the highlight, his name (albeit often mispelt even by the most prominent of the local papers) appearing in print in numerous publications throughout the country. In addition, Killeen appeared in the London press in connection with the deaths of two infants in 1888, the details of these cases can be found in posts 145 and 160 here:

https://jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=33831

The address from which Killeen was called to the Tabram murder scene, 68, Brick Lane, was also occupied by a GP named Septimus Swyer, a physician who had practised in the area for many years. I think it’s unlikely that such an inexperienced doctor as Killeen had independently set up his own practice at the same address as Swyer, it being more likely that he joined Swyer’s practice, either with the intention of forging a career in London, or simply as another stage in his medical education. How long Killeen remained in London is unknown. We can only be certain that he was there between August and October, 1888.

Having returned to his childhood home by 1889/90, Killeen seems not to have ventured too far from Cloonfeagh for much of the remainder of his life. The medical directory for 1895 describes him as the Medical Officer and Medical Officer of Health for the Killaniv Dispensary District and notes that he was ‘late Ass. Surg. Childr. Hospital. Dub.’ Thereafter, until his death, he seems to have remained in Clare and continued in the position of MOH for the district of Killaniv.

The 1901 census shows him living with his parents, three unmarried siblings also in their thirties, and a family servant in Cloonfeagh. His occupation is recorded as a physician surgeon.

Just as in London, Killeen seems to have operated under the radar in county Clare, a handful of appearances at the Ennis sessions being the most interesting records of his activities on his home patch I’ve been able to find. And of those five sessions records only two of them are in connection with his professional life. The other three concern summonses for keeping unlicensed or unmuzzled dogs. Killeen was clearly a dog lover, his name appears in the Irish dog licence registers more than any other records I have found so far.

On the 30th November, 1905, Killeen married Mary Ann Daly, a farmer’s daughter, in the church of St Saviours, Limerick. The couple went on to have three children:

Mary Ellen Margaret - 1907
    Edward Michael - 1908
    Patrick Joseph - 1910

In 1911, Killeen was living in his widowed mother’s household in Cloonfeagh with his wife and three children, his occupation being recorded as ‘Dispensary Doctor LRCS and P I’. His mother is shown as the only member of the household who spoke both Irish and English, all the other members speaking only English. Two servants are recorded.

Timothy Killeen died ‘of a faver’ (Influenza) on 24th February, 1912 at Cloonfeagh. His wife was present at his death. In his will he left £302, his sole executor being Michael Daly, a farmer and presumably an in-law of some kind. I have not (yet) been able to find an obituary or even a death notice for him in the Irish press. Nor have I so far discovered where he was buried.

In putting this info together I found the chapter on Killeen in Amanda Harvey Purse’s ‘Martha’ very useful. As I say, this is very much a work in progress. If anyone feels the urge to chip in, I’d be overjoyed.

Thank you, Gary. Nice overview of his life, well presented. I cannot add anything though, hopefully others can chip in.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
      Thank you, Gary. Nice overview of his life, well presented. I cannot add anything though, hopefully others can chip in.
      Thanks, Kattrup.

Iím not sure what more there is to find, unless his college records are available, which I doubt.

His father, Michael, appeared at the local sessions on dozens of occasions, both as a complainant and a defendant, for various reasons, including what seems to have been a family tradition, not licencing his various dogs.

I recently saw a 2019 obituary for a Killeen of Cloonfeagh online, so it may be that TKís family are still in the area. In the 19th century Cloonfeagh consisted of just the Killeenís farm as far as I can tell. Nowadays, because it is close to the town of Ennis, it has become slightly more populated.

Comment

The Casebook wiki references a medical directory for his 1887 listing: Kilcornan House, Kilkishen, County Clare.

Comment

I missed the fact that the 1901 census shows that Michael Killeen, Timís dad, was also an Irish speaker. Iím trawling through the Ennis session records at the moment, Michael seems to have had a season ticket.

Comment

The Casebook wiki references a medical directory for his 1887 listing: Kilcornan House, Kilkishen, County Clare.
            Thanks, Kattrup.

The medical directories for 1888/9 would be useful to narrow down his time in London. We have him in Dublin in 1887 and back in Clare by 1889/90. In between we are reliant on press reports which show he was in London between August and October, 1888.

The Autumn of Terror!

I’ll look up Kilkishen. Thanks again����

Comment

Kilkishen is on the other (SE) side of Ennis near Sixmilebridge, which is where Killeenís mother was born.

Comment

Viewing the death certs online is a poignant business - case after case which Killeen has signed, until his own death....

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  The medical directories for 1888/9 would be useful to narrow down his time in London. We have him in Dublin in 1887 and back in Clare by 1889/90. In between we are reliant on press reports which show he was in London between August and November, 1888.

The Autumn of Terror!

I’ll look up Kilkishen.
                  Maybe you should look up unsolved murders in County Clare, too.

He arrives in London. Murders start. He leaves London. Murders stop.

AND he’s from close to Limerick, whence MJK is said to come.

Surely no coincidence!!! (I am joking; I’m sure someone has done a thread about him as a suspect at some point)
                  Last edited by Kattrup; May 29, 2020, 07:02 AM. Reason: Just kidding

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                    Viewing the death certs online is a poignant business - case after case which Killeen has signed, until his own death....
                    Just in case youríe not joking... tell me more.

It might be interesting to get a copy of the Israel childís death to see how that compares to Killeenís notes.

Comment

Maybe you should look up unsolved murders in County Clare, too.

He arrives in London. Murders start. He leaves London. Murders stop.

AND heís from close to Limerick, whence MJK is said to come.

Surely no coincidence!!! (I am joking; Iím sure someone has done a thread about him as a suspect at some point)
                      And he had Irish-speaking parents - a Fenian, surely.

Comment

Here you go :
                        Attached Files

Comment

Excellent, Rob.

Thank you!

Comment

Where did you find that, Rob?

Comment

Gary, here's the marriage.

This stuff is available at
                              https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy....vil-search.jsp
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X