Dr Killeen of Brick Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
    The entrance portico was left behind as a sort of memorial.
    Would have been better to scrap the portico and preserve the records [/ARCHIVIST]
    It seems they may have been destroyed when the hospital was relocated 1967...possibly the Irish national archives just havenít gotten round to registering them.

Comment

Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
      Would have been better to scrap the portico and preserve the records [/ARCHIVIST]
      It seems they may have been destroyed when the hospital was relocated 1967...possibly the Irish national archives just haven’t gotten round to registering them.
      I’m with you there. The portico looks like a bus shelter now.

I don’t know if you saw the 1888 BMJ letter I posted on the other thread. The correspondent suggested that the ‘master’ of The Coombe was less than rigorous in awarding the LM qualification that Killeen had achieved there in 1887. He (the correspondent) seems to have been motivated by someone who was practicing medicine having only the LM qualification, so his wider point about how easy it was to obtain an LM might not be valid, though.

Killeen’s motivation for choosing the The Coombe may have been entirely honourable - a desire to serve the poor women of Dublin. Indeed, he may have been similarly motivated in choosing to relocate to Spitalfields shortly afterwards.

Comment

Apologies for this diversion. Thanks to Rob’s link, I was able to find the death cert of my great grandmother Mary Ann Barnett in the context of the full page of the register. Of the 10 deaths on the page, 8 of them were of infants who had died in the Coombe Hospital - all registered on the same day, 21st July, 1942.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
          Apologies for this diversion. Thanks to Rob’s link, I was able to find the death cert of my great grandmother Mary Ann Barnett in the context of the full page of the register. Of the 10 deaths on the page, 8 of them were of infants who had died in the Coombe Hospital - all registered on the same day, 21st July, 1942.
          The ages of the 8 individuals preceding MAB in the register were:

30 mins
          5 weeks
          1 day
          1 day
          36 hours
          15 minutes
          20 hours
          One week

Edit: I’ve just noticed that only two of them have Christian names. The other six were recorded as ‘Baby’ something or other, presumably because they had died too young to be baptised.

Comment

Help required.

Calling all proper researchers...

I came across this on the BMJ site, but when I try to access it I’m presented with a page that has no mention of Killeen. It would be interesting to find out what the subject of Killeen’s correspondence with the BMJ was in 1889. It apparently came from Ennis.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9E8ED164-AFE2-4154-844B-D901FD903828.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	561209

Comment

This notice in the BMJ of 19th June, 1886 shows that Killeen had obtained a licence to practice medicine but not midwifery. This is presumably why he had to apply to The Coombe to obtain his LM. Did he fail the midwifery module at K&Q’s?

Name:	01683B4C-61C5-4580-A887-ECAE7BF3BEE7.jpeg
Size:	348.5 KB
ID:	561210

Comment

Hi Gary

If you use the find function on this site, he's mentioned as having sent them a letter - along with about 200 million other people. P 1260.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...04364-0055.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                  Hi Gary

If you use the find function on this site, he's mentioned as having sent them a letter - along with about 200 million other people. P 1260.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...04364-0055.pdf
                  Thanks, Rob. Itís a shame that we canít see the actual letter, but the fact that it was written from Ennis (presumably Cloonfeagh) in 1889 narrows down his London period a bit further.

Comment

It's a hell of a lot of letters - about the same as How gets from creditors.

Comment

This is an extract from one of the February, 1888 BMJ articles mentioned by the doctor who criticised the Coombe:

Name:	09FCB989-6489-41AC-AF56-F3A45ABA3881.jpeg
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	561211

It is usually thought better that the officers of the lying-in hospitals [e.g. the Coombe] should not perform post-mortem examinations. In each of the ten general and six special hospitals there could not be a teacher of pathology.

Killeen was seemingly disadvantaged, not only by his lack of professional experience, but also by where he obtained his medical training.

Comment

Here's some info on Dublin medicine :

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...entury&f=false

Comment

http://www.hibeach.net/swyers.html

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                            Thank you! The case of the cat in the doctor’s shop is very funny.

For the record, Swyer appears in the electorals at 68, Brick Lane in 1887/8/9. There’s no sign of Killeen.

Comment

Iíve obtained Killeenís Medical Directory entries for 1888 and 1889.

1888:
                              Killeen, Timothy Robert, Clonfeigh. Ennis Co Clare. L.K.Q.C.P.Irel. 1886, L.R.C.S.I. 1885, (Cath. Univ. Dublin)

1889:
                              Killeen, Timothy Robert, Clonfeigh. Ennis Co Clare. L.K.Q.C.P.Irel. 1886, L.R.C.S.I. 1885, L.M. Coombe Hospital Dublin 1887,(Cath. Univ. Dublin)

Itís noteworthy that the 1888 entry doesnít reference his 1887 LM, which may have been awarded after the directory was compiled.

It seems likely, therefore, that he was only in Whitechapel during 1888. We have evidence that he was there between August and November of that year, but exactly when he arrived in London and when he returned to Ireland is still unclear.

Comment

Another small mystery is the Kilcornan House, Kilkishen mentioned as Killeen’s 1887 address by Kattrup. If you google it, you get a map showing the location of an actual house. But there doesn’t seem to be anything about the house online.

Elsewhere, I discovered that Kilcornan House was a townland name that appears on some OS maps.

What was it in 1887, and why was Killeen there?

Comment

Working...
                                X