Dr Killeen of Brick Lane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Gary

There are 18 results for Kilkishen Townland in 1901 census. There are 67 for Kilcornan Townland.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      Hi Gary

There are 18 results for Kilkishen Townland in 1901 census. There are 67 for Kilcornan Townland.
      Yes, I read that Kilcornan Townland was once called Kilcornan House Townland. I think Kilkishen is also a parish(?) or an electoral district(?).

So was Killeen living in a house named Kilcornan House, or somewhere else in the townland that had once been known as Kilcornan House?

Comment

I suppose the rather large-looking pub online is not the original KH building.

The Galway KH tends to get in the way when searching.

Maybe contact these people?

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coc...y/genealog.htm

Comment

I suppose the rather large-looking pub online is not the original KH building.

The Galway KH tends to get in the way when searching.

Maybe contact these people?

http://www.clarelibrary.ie/eolas/coc...y/genealog.htm
          Is the pub in Clare? There is a KH pub in Limerick.

Comment

https://www.myhome.ie/commercial/bro...merick/4331974

Comment

Yes, thatís in Limerick. Not our KH.

Comment

I'll take your word for it.

Comment

Judging by his numerous appearances in court, Timís dad, Michael, was a bit of a tartar. In addition to the punch-ups, we see him trying to evict tenants and prosecute them for leaving his employment. On at least one occasion an employee sued him for unpaid wages, on another he was fined for being drunk in charge of a horse and cart. And then thereís the bloody dogs! What was it about the Killeens that they thought they were above the law in that respect, even when there were rabies scares?

If we want to get a handle on Timís psychological development, we might want to investigate Michael a bit further. A bit like Ma Lechmereís influence on her son. 😉

Comment

I'll take your word for it.
                    I wouldnít.

Iíve emailed the Clare Library people, thanks for that link.

Comment

Maybe his dad was proud of him for becoming a doc. Or maybe it was a case of 'cow dung not good enough for you, eh?'

Comment

Maybe his dad was proud of him for becoming a doc. Or maybe it was a case of 'cow dung not good enough for you, eh?'
                        I wonder if Tim operated as MHO/registrar out of the family home?

Presumably thatís still there. Has anyone lifted the floorboards?

Comment

He was at his family's home in 1901 and 1911. Interestingly his brother James, aged about 30 in 1901, had no occupation. Maybe it was a rather small farm.

Comment

In 1911, the Killeens had two servants living in. For their household, 11 ‘out-offices and outbuildings’ were recorded. Theirs was a second class house with 5/6 rooms. They also had a tenant, Patrick Devitt, living in a smaller house nearby. In 1901, they had had a 17-year-old servant named Patt Devitt in their household, presumably the same person. Devitt’s house was 3rd class and had 2/3 rooms.

An 1876 list of Clare landowners shows Michael Killeen with 340 acres in Clonfeigh.

Comment

There is some interesting additional info on the 1911 census. These are the 11 outbuildings recorded:

Stable
                              Coach House
                              Harness Room
                              Cow House
                              Calf House
                              Dairy
                              Piggery
                              Fowl House
                              Boiling House
                              Barn
                              Turf House

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                                There is some interesting additional info on the 1911 census. These are the 11 outbuildings recorded:

Stable
                                Coach House
                                Harness Room
                                Cow House
                                Calf House
                                Dairy
                                Piggery
                                Fowl House
                                Boiling House
                                Barn
                                Turf House
                                Hereís a thought, although Tim may not have had much exposure to human dissection through his medical training, he may have watched/helped his father butcher pigs on occasion.

Comment

Working...
                                X