**Emma Marshall**

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• **Emma Marshall**

LMA/MJ/SP/C/NE 624, Box 5 Case No. 16. North East Middlesex district, Roderick Macdonald, coroner.
    From request for warrant to hold an inquest, coronerís officer T.J. Inman, 115 Mare Street Hackney, 13th Feb. 1889: Deceased was discovered at 10.20 A.M. Tuesday 12th inst. By a person who was shooting birds, who informed police, by whom the body was taken to the mortuary.
    Inquest taken in Hackney, at the Mermaid on 14 February 1889. Deceased was Emma Marshall of 21 Ellesmere Road, Old Ford. Wife of Isaac Marshall, a porter. Died 12 February 1889, found near the White Hart, Temple Mills.
    First page
    re Emma Marshall age 40, wife of Isaac Marshall of 21 Ellesmere Road Old Ford found dead on Hackney Marshes Tuesday 12th at 10 a.m.
    Isaac Marshall a porter of 21 Ellesmere Rd. I have identified the body. The deceased is my wife. I last saw her alive at 7.30 A.M. Monday at home. She has been strange in her manner for a few weeks. I had no doctor to see her. I was informed by my landlady & little boy that she had gone to her brothers at 7 P.M. Next morning I went to work. In the evening I went in search of her. I found she had not been at her brotherís house. I communicated with the police. We did not live happily lately as she had taken heavily to drink.
    Angus Kennedy of George Park Road Church Road Leyton, a brick maker. I was walking the Hackney Marsh by the side of the White Hart on Wednesday Tuesday at 10 A.M. when I saw something in the ditch. I saw it was the body of a woman lying on her back with the stocking off the left leg as far as the ankle. [With] legs exposed as far as the knee dress undone exposing stays. The clothes were not disarranged. I communicated with the police.
    Benjamin Hornett, of 5 White Hart Cottages Temple Mills a sausage skin manufacturer. On Monday Tuesday at about 1.15 A.M. I left my brother in law at his house close to mine. I saw a woman sitting in the bridge going over a ditch in Mr. Rogers fields. She said it was very cold. I said yes. She asked the way to Bow. She said she was took with a pain in her side. I went away + and saw somebody [coming] after me. I saw somebody [go] past the [illegible] over the bridge as I [was waiting] to be let in at my own door. I saw the individual walk over to Mr. Rogers fence. I thought she was a detective.
    Second page
    P.C. 33 JR Benjamin Riches. At 10.20 A.M. Tuesday Mr. Kennedy told me he had found deceaseds body. I had it conveyed to the mortuary.
    Inspector Bond who has visited the spot and made inquiries. She had a ring on her finger.
    I, John Bradshaw White, Doctor of Medicine of 16 Portland Place, Clapton, was called by the Police on February 12th to inspect the dead body of a woman at the Hackney Mortuary. The body was cold and rigor mortis had set in. There were a few [reddish?] abrasions on left knee and a slight reddish bruise mark on front of right thigh.
    Last evening I made a post mortem examination. The body appears to be well nourished. The brain was congested but otherwise healthy. The lungs were healthy but congested. The heart was soft + its muscles degenerated. There was evidence of old standing pericarditis. The bowel was congested. The kidneys so very much. also the liver which bore evidence of fibrous disease. The cause of death was exposure to cold with a weak heart.
    Verdict: Exposure to cold accelerated by a weak heart. Partly natural.
    To Join JTR Forums, Contact :
    Howard@jtrforums.com

Page One

Once again, many thanks to Dave O' Flaherty for sharing his material

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Page Two

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Page Three

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

More tomorrow....
          Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks Howard.

That last photograph, which ends with "I thought she was a detective" is part of Hornett's testimony. I had wondered whether it might have been a reference to Detective Sergeant Robinson's disguising himself as a woman the previous year.

Anyway, kind of an odd case. I take it that Emma died while she was working as a prostitute and that her last john just left her there.

Dave

Comment

Page Four

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Page Five

Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
                X