• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
    Thanks Collin, ...
    You are most welcome, John!

Comment

Bump up in order that others peruse Colin Roberts' jurisdictional map of the area.
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Just like to point out that part of our frustration with the Coroners (both of them) is that, because of the loss of so many police and ME records, we have to rely so heavily on the inquest testimony for even basic facts about the case. Both Baxter's wild speculation and Macdonald's race to the findings both present modern researches with frustration obstacles, but at that time they both could be said to have done just what they were tasked to do. If the other records were still extant, the inquest records would likely be of minor significance in comparison.
        "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Comment

If the other records were still extant, the inquest records would likely be of minor significance in comparison. --Magpie

Thats the way it goes, isn't it Mag ? The relevance of the Inquest reports is or has been magnified by the absence of other data pertinent to the WM.

It would be something though,thinking out loud, if there was evidence within the missing files which was not brought out specifically at the Inquests...such as Schwartz's revelations in early October. It would so much to our advantage to know all of what he had to offer right from the horses mouth.
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Just a quick word about Miller's Court. It wasn't that Baxter thought that it was inside his district, it was that he foresaw that Mary Kelly's body was going to be sent to Whitechapel in order to throw the cost of her burial upon the ratepayers there instead of the ratepayers in Shoreditch. Baxter apparently interpreted the Coroners Act 1887 in such a way that he felt he was required to hold an inquest upon her body. So he visited Miller's Court in preparation for his own inquest. This second inquest was averted when subscribers paid for Kelly's burial and so her body never came into Baxter's territory (and without a view of the body by the coroner and jury, his inquest couldn't be legally valid).

So double inquests for Mary Kelly were narrowly averted. I don't think that people are generally aware of how close Mary Kelly came to having two inquests, purely because of geography and political boundaries. This scenario actually occurred in March 1889 when the body of a women named Louisa Ellesden actually did trip across the boundaries of Macdonald and Baxter's districts. The Home Secretary, who didn't share Baxter's interpretation of the Coroners Act, roundly criticized him for his inquest for Ellesden, held after one by Macdonald. I believe this was part of the reason why the coroners districts were realigned in 1894 so that they lined up with the boundaries of the sanitary districts and places like Spitalfieds were returned to Baxter's districts. The 1888 Order in Council did not anticipate this sort of problem.

In my opinion, Baxter's true value, or that of any coroner, is directly related to how many times an individual references one of his inquests and finds something useful there.

Cheers,
            Dave

Comment

The Pipeman returns !

Thanks for that Dave. Hope all is well and belated happy birthday ( We all wished it on you a while back...)
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Thanks, man. I missed seeing those wishes, but I surely do appreciate them!

Cheers,
                Old Man O'Flaherty

Comment

Dave:

I put together a thread of some Baxter stories in this Forum. I'll go get the link in case your house is as smoked up as mine is ( Still puffin' away over here,pardner...).

Back in a second.

I'm back...

http://www.jtrforums.com/showthread.php?t=8772
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by John Savage View Post
                    Thanks Collin, when it comes to maps you're the man.

Rgds
                    John

Agreed-maps like other records can sometimes be inaccurate and if they are you can rest assured that Colin will probably discover the flaw!
                    I am really reassured to see such a rigorous approach as Colin"s to research and to an equally rigorous examination by him of historical information and our interpretation of it.

Kind Regards
                    Norma

Comment

Working...
                    X