• Show
Clear All

Philadelphia Inquirer
    October 2, 1888
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Hi How,
      As a follow up to the Columbus Daily Enquirer - October 2, 1888 item, here's a couple of follow ups. They are regarding the East London Trade and Labourers' Society's Vigilance Committee, which I think is the one that our old friend Albert Bachert was involved with.

Dave
      "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

How about that Dave ! It looks like you located yet another vigilance committee...the East London Trade.

Has anyone else seen mention of them before ?
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Hi How,

This is where things start to get complicated and I think it deserves its own thread.
          To put it simply, and this is only my opinion, the aforementioned and the Whitechapel Working Men's V C were the same thing. Bachert is involved through his relationship with Tom Lemon and Sam Peters - who ran a, possibly, Tory backed unemployed association about which there was a big scandal in 87-88.

I think Debra Arif has some stuff on these gents, and I have found some, which also provides a link to Wm Lind and the Trafalgar Temperance Hotel.

As I said, it's really a subject on its own, as it covers politics, possible fraud, vigilance committee's, high profile court cases etc.
          Dave

Comment

Good morning Dave,

I made a thread on this very subject. It is under Victoriana, Places, Trafalgar Temperance Hotel. Here is the link to it. (click) And you contributed to the thread, Dave, which I thank you for.

You mention Albert Bachert in connection with Kelly, Peters, Lemon, Lind, the Trafalgar, etc. In my research I did not find a link to Bachert to these folks, who were "Free Labour." Could you please share what you found that links Bachert to them.

Roy

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post

I think Debra Arif has some stuff on these gents, and I have found some, which also provides a link to Wm Lind and the Trafalgar Temperance Hotel.
              No not me Dave. All I knew was that they were some sort of double act until you filled me in a bit and then How re-sent me the issue of Rip with Neil's article in it. I had wondered about a link to Bachert though.

Thanks for posting that link to your great thread Roy. I had missed it previously.

Comment

Hi Roy,
                I lost a lot of stuff in a computer crash recently, so I'm still trying to recover bits and pieces. However, as a taster, this indicates an early connection between Bachert, Lemon, Kelly and Peters. This was from a report on the Trafalgar Sq riot. As you know, Albert was an arch Tory. I'll work on it over Xmas and hopefully find the stuff I lost.

As I said in my last post, this is only my opinion, but I think there is a connection going back to at least 1886.
                Attached Files
                Dave

Comment

Lost In London

St.Louis Republic
                  October 21, 1888

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post
                    ... this indicates an early connection between Bachert, Lemon, Kelly and Peters. This was from a report on the Trafalgar Sq riot. As you know, Albert was an arch Tory. I'll work on it over Xmas and hopefully find the stuff I lost.

As I said in my last post, this is only my opinion, but I think there is a connection going back to at least 1886.
                    I see Dave. Thanks for that. If it's OK with you, I'm going to take this article and post it with credit to you under the abovementioned thread - Trafalgar Temperance hotel and we can continue the discussion there.

And yes I look forward to your continued finds.

Merry Christmas,

Roy

Comment

I'll get back to news reports from 1888 ( August-December) at a later date.
                      I'm starting a thread for 19th Century US News Reports for 1889.

However...please,by all means, continue to discuss the ones on this thread or Dave's finds if you wish. Thank you.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

RE; Post # 24 from Wheeling Register

RE: Post 24, from the Wheeling Register, posted by How. This is a report of a letter sent by "Jack the Ripper's pal," who reported meeting a Bavarian, on a ship returning to Great Britain, from the US, who claimed that he was JtR. I also found a copy of this news item, in the Salt Lake Daily Herald, for Nov. 27, 1888.

Comment

Working...
                        X