No announcement yet.

20 British foods Americans have probably never heard of but really should try

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20 British foods Americans have probably never heard of but really should try

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/exp...hould-try.html

Other popular British delicacies are jellied eels (How has an account with the Sargasso Sea), tripe (animal stomachs) and faggots (pig offal).

Comment

What about the old Kate and Sidney pud? Here it is with chips and mushy peas:

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	556791

Comment

Or the Arbroath Smokie?

Comment

(Lamb) chop toad is a very nice variation on the toad-in-the-hole theme.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
            Other popular British delicacies are jellied eels (How has an account with the Sargasso Sea), tripe (animal stomachs) and faggots (pig offal).
            You can keep the eels and tripe, but the faggots with peas and mash - luvverly.

Comment

Didn´t David Frost once say that in hell, the British handled the cooking...? On the other hand, he also said that in that same hotspot, the Swedes took care of the television entertainment.
              "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

Originally posted by Christer Holmgren View Post
                Didn´t David Frost once say that in hell, the British handled the cooking...? On the other hand, he also said that in that same hotspot, the Swedes took care of the television entertainment.
                Wouldn't that be horrible - roast beef and Yorkshire pud every day for eternity?

(I can't wait!)

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                  Wouldn't that be horrible - roast beef and Yorkshire pud every day for eternity?

(I can't wait!)
                  I think there is a chance the roast beef would get overdone, considering the premises...
                  "In these matters it is the little things that tell the tales" - Coroner Wynne Baxter during the Nichols inquest.

Comment

roast beef

Hello Tim, All.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v5lhjYzbfco

Cheers.
                    LC

Comment

I'm surprised you posted that, Lynn, given the starving Scot bottom right corner.

Comment

Mr. 'Udson

Hello Robert. Thanks.

Well, I recall the line delivered by Mr. 'Udson (Gordon Jackson) in the inaugural episode of "Upstairs/Downstairs": "Pride? My grandmother was a proud woman. She died of starvation."

Perhaps that Scot is a proud laddie?

Cheers.
                        LC

Comment

Hi Lynn

Well, although Mr 'Udson could come across as a bit servile, I remember a trade unionist once mocking him for being a lackey. Mr 'Udson asked him what he called his boss at work, and wondered how long the trade unionist would keep his job if he didn't call his boss 'sir.'

I also remember one time when Mr Bellamy was away, young Mr Bellamy asked his girlfriend round and told Mr 'Udson to fetch the best wine from the cellar. Mr 'Udson refused on the ground that only Mr Bellamy snr could issue such an order, and persisted despite the threat of dismissal. When Mr Bellamy returned he backed up Mr 'Udson.

Of course, once Mr 'Udson became Mr Cowley, all fear of starvation evaporated, since Mr Cowley lived entirely on malt.

Comment

TV producer

Hello Robert. Thanks.

Of course BEFORE all that, he was a humble TV producer doing a programme at Westminster Abbey. (Quatermass Xperiment)

Cheers.
                            LC

Comment

I'm partial to homemade sausage rolls and also Devonshire teas with scones, strawberry jam and clotted cream. Lovely!

Comment

Working...
                              X