Fish Pie---?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael Banks View Post
    Try this one Anna. It looks like you might need a spare week though!

http://bunscuffle.co.uk/2015/12/hest...hals-fish-pie/
    Thanks, Michael. That seems like too many ingredients. Meaning I think it could be accomplished with less. I think some of the simpler recipes sound better though the presentation on this one is cute, sand and foam and all.

If I want to spend a long time with fish I will make kulebyaka with a fancy pastry crust. Tomorrow I will plank a salmon again. I am caring for a sick person who will always eat this salmon and it is very healthy so I am fixing a lot of it. Maybe I'll try some leftover salmon in a small fish pie.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Hi Anna,

I used to make a version of fish pie, to my own recipe. I put some peas in the bottom of a large Pyrex dish, peeled some large shell-on prawns and put them on top with two or three hard boiled eggs, halved. Meanwhile I poached a mixture of haddock and cod fillet, smoked and unsmoked, in milk for a very short while, then arranged the fish over the peas, prawns and eggs. Then I made some rich cheese sauce and poured that over the fish. Finally I made a load of mash with plenty of butter and milk, spread it evenly on top, dotted it with butter and added some grated cheddar cheese, before whacking it in a hot oven for about half an hour until golden brown and bubbling.

Delicious, with salad and crusty bread or some green veg.

I didn't make it for years when our daughter was small, as she didn't like peas, prawns or eggs! She loves 'em all now, but her young man isn't keen on fish and can't tolerate milk or cheese!

I must make it again soon for Mr Brown of Sidmouth - and keep Monty Brown out of the way.

Love,

Caz
      X
      I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Seems like an awful lot of work.

Comment

Compared with phoning for a Chinese, Robert, yes.

But it was something I could actually cook, which always looked and tasted good. Easy enough, but not exactly fast food. The worst thing was the washing up of all the different saucepans. But I have my trusty dishwasher these days - and I don't mean Mr Brown.

My other talent is for roast potatoes. I find them so easy to get right every time [using goose or duck fat], yet I rarely enjoy what others produce, especially in pubs and restaurants. They never taste like they have come straight from oven to plate, which in many cases they probably haven't.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

I find them so easy to get right every time [using goose or duck fat],

I think the ones I used to cook must have been pre-fatted, out of the freezer.

I like spinach. Runner beans are notorious gravy drippers. Peas develop a mind of their own once you get past 50. Sprouts are very easy to eat....

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
              Peas develop a mind of their own once you get past 50
              Well, just put 49 of them on your plate. Problem solved!
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Caz: Do share the roast potato recipe with duck fat! I cook duck l'orange a couple times a year but we never know how to use the duck fat. That is not something that is done in the US. (Here, lard and bacon fat are the big things.) I can find recipes but do not have experience using it.

Comment

You're on a roll, Gareth.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                    Caz: Do share the roast potato recipe with duck fat!
                    Seconded. And, Caz, do you par-boil the potatoes and lightly score them with a fork before putting them in to roast? I used to, and the results were great. I've never been big on potatoes, and I don't do starchy vegetables anymore, but a well-roasted spud is something I miss.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

I have just a little bit of leftover salmon and I have white fish and prawns so I think I'll try a small fish pie. It sounds like real comfort food.

Comment

No surstromming, Anna! No surstromming!

Comment

Or lutefisk
                          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Yes, nothing worse than stromming on a lutefisk.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                              Yes, nothing worse than stromming on a lutefisk.
                              Julian Bream, is that you?
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Nope, it's Manitas de Fish Platter.

Comment

Working...
                                X