Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Nope, nor am I Ry Barracuda.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
        Nope, nor am I Ry Barracuda.
        I guessed as much. That trout mask you were wearing was clearly a replica.
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Yes, I think I'll grow fins and take up with a mermaid.

Comment

No surstromming, Anna! No surstromming!
            Thank you for reminding me. I would hate to pop open a can and then see the recipe doesn't call for it.
            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

All you need is a side of broccolli or whatever green veg you like.

Comment

I made a fish pie and it is very, very good! Thanks for all the tips!

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  Seconded. And, Caz, do you par-boil the potatoes and lightly score them with a fork before putting them in to roast? I used to, and the results were great. I've never been big on potatoes, and I don't do starchy vegetables anymore, but a well-roasted spud is something I miss.
                  Hi Gareth, Anna,

I use large ones, King Edwards, Whites or Maris Pipers usually, which I cut into two or three pieces to give them nice edges which help to make them crispy. Then I par-boil them until they just start to go a bit fuzzy and drain them well, shaking them to roughen up the edges a bit more [but scoring with a fork helps if they are still on the firm side].

While my spuds are boiling I put a generous dollop of goose fat [or duck fat if I can't get goose] into a deep baking tray and put this in a hot oven so it sizzles when the spuds go in. I spoon the melted fat over them and, between doing the crossword and having a drinky with Mr B, I check on them regularly and turn them over in the fat until I get the desired result on each surface. The outsides will be really golden and crunchy, while the insides should be soft and creamy.

If they are roasting too quickly for the rest of the meal, and in danger of drying out and becoming too hard, I turn the oven down, add a little more goose fat and let them do their own thing until everything else is ready. They can be done in less than 45 minutes in a very hot oven, but I find they are much better left in for an hour or even longer, on a lower heat.

We usually manage to scoff the lot, however many I make, but any leftovers can be put in the microwave the next day and will taste almost as good, or frozen with any other leftover veg to make bubble and squeak.

Love,

Caz
                  X
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Nope, it's Manitas de Fish Platter.
                    Then all I can say, Robert, is look out for Flaccid Old Flamingo.

Love,

Caz
                    X
                    I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Hi, Caz. Thanks for the recipe!

While waiting for your reply I did a bit of research. Your recipe is by far the best for what is to be accomplished. The boiling of the potatoes develops starch on the outside. The starch is what turns crisp.

Translating the potato species into American, according to some recipes I read:

Russet potatoes have the highest starch and are best used in these recipes.

Yellow potatoes like Yukon Gold will work.

Red skinned potatoes have the least starch and though they will be tasty, will not fully accomplish what is desired.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                        Red skinned potatoes have the least starch
                        Are we allowed to say that these days? Shouldn't it be "Native American potatoes"?
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                          Are we allowed to say that these days? Shouldn't it be "Native American potatoes"?
                          Ah, yes...my mistake!

Disgracefully, in the U.S. we still use the term "Irish potatoes" and that certainly lends "white privilege" to the humble spuds.

Comment

"Irish potatoes"

When Irish eyes are smiling....

Comment

"Irish potatoes"

When Irish eyes are smiling....
                              Cute!

I think my fish pie is one of the best things I have cooked. I shared some with a friend for lunch and the friend said the peas were the only good part. So I said, just imagine it as mashed potatoes and gravy and don't ask any questions. My friend would have enjoyed tuna noodle casserole. I had been wondering why the latter is so popular here when we could have been eating fish pie.

I imagine surstromming would be excellent in a future tuna noodle concoction. I think my friend has that coming.

Comment

Just fry my fish in cornmeal with some hush puppies on the side. And leave em whole (cept cut the heads off I reckon) Don't want any of that fillet crap.
                                Best Wishes,
                                Cris Malone

Comment

Working...
                                X