Lemon sole is nice though.

And I love Beef Wellington.
    I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
      I can't eat slippers either, Robert.

Lemon sole is nice though.

And I love Beef Wellington.
      Don't forget shoe buns, and Rowntree's Fruit Espadrilles.

I'll get me coat...
      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

As we were talking about Christmas, The History of 11 Christmas traditions.

Sick of it already and it’s only been going from before Halloween.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
          As we were talking about Christmas, The History of 11 Christmas traditions.

Sick of it already and it’s only been going from before Halloween.
          I don't mind Christmas, it's all the hype about Pancake Day that gets me down. I was in the supermarket only this morning and they've already got eggs and flour on sale.
          Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
          (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
            I don't mind Christmas, it's all the hype about Pancake Day that gets me down. I was in the supermarket only this morning and they've already got eggs and flour on sale.

Beware buying fireworks out of season. I bought some Porkinson's Bangers last week and couldn't get them to light.

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
              Oh good! Then maybe I have some actual suet. Our elk--kind of like English red deer--are a lot like beef as far as the meat, etc. I wasn't on the hunt so couldn't do any JtR type rummaging for other bits and pieces.

The only way our stores have "suet" is in bird feed stuff...
              Your local deer/elk processor may have it as it is often added to ground venison to add a little fat.
              Best Wishes,
              Cris Malone

Comment

Gareth:

Pancake Day ?

If there's one for them, then why not Scrapple n' Cow brains ?

Comment

You'd be good at cooking pancakes, How. I'm sure you are the quintessential tosser.

Comment

Bob:

A double tosser since I ain't any good at flippin' flapjacks.....but a marvel at eating them.

Comment

Only 6 sprouts each for Christmas folks.

If there’s one vegetable that could go extinct please let it be sprouts.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                        If there’s one vegetable that could go extinct please let it be sprouts.
                        Thanks to selective breeding, sprouts have actually got better over the years. I remember them as horrible, bitter things when I were a lad, but their flavour has improved immeasurably in recent decades, and I love them now - boiled, stir-fried or raw.

I daresay that many will still find them to be the spawn of the Devil, though.
                        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

The sprout article is HILARIOUS! Of all the nanny state stupidity, suggesting people limit their veggie intake! Michelle Obama wanted us to eat veggies and whole grains and nothing more. Put it all in one pot and you have pottage, something like gruel, which is healthy but it's a thin soup with mush in it. Can't knock it, the serfs in the middle ages did very well on a diet of pottage and ale. Lots of ale. Because the water was unsafe, so it has been said.

Wait till the UN hears about this! They plan to get "member nations" to tax sugar and eat gruel! (But if Britain goes ahead with Brexit this may not apply.)

I am sure Caz would be willing to donate her Christmas portion of sprouts to the folks in Leicester.

Some people genetically taste broccoli and sprouts as bitter. This all came up as a scientific fact when President G. W. Bush admitted to not eating broccoli. I have an idea these things can change with age. I did not think either vegetable tasted very good when I was little but love both now, especially sprouts with butter.
                          The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

There are many culinary aversions that form from the dreaded school food dished up during the 1950's and 1960's.
                            Brussel sprouts, cabbage, (over boiled and horribly distasteful), tapioca, semolina, liver (of liver and bacon fame..so hard you needed a circular saw to cut it..often pigs liver..which can be most distasteful anyway), not to mention the old favourite..rice pudding( that really tasted vile when over cooked).
                            All of the above, to this day, causes me to politely decline the offer of eating such things. The cabbage, by the way; was a particular type of cabbage which according to my friend's greengrocer father, was rarely sold as it was too bitter to sell. Even though it was also dirt cheap.

I've heard that school prunes causes aversion for some..though memories of "tinker, tailor, soldier, spy" counting prune stones and lining them around the edge of the desert dish remain in my mind.

Re suet...about 20 years ago I walked into the last remaining local butcher here in town and asked to buy some. The owner, an elderly gentleman, asked me if I was English. When I replied in the affirmative he said,
                            "In 50 years I've only ever sold that twice. Both times to Englishmen. What is it about you English that you have to make food out of the most awful of animal parts? Steak and kidney pie? Dumplings? (He had heard of them)
                            You lot must have strong stomachs is all I can say!
                            Still..you haven't gotten as bad as the French..horsemeat. "

He shook his head and I left without any suet..he had none that week. These days you have to ring the slaughterers in advance to get some. Ahh..Norway...land of the worst cheese in the world. (.look up 'pultost'..it smells..literally..of vomit)

Edit* I forgot to mention the pink custard.....
                            though spam fritters were lovely!

Phil
                            from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

John Cleese wanted some Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese in Michael Palin's cheese shop, but there wasn't any there. Come to think of it, the only cheese that was in that shop was eaten by the cat.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Chetcuti View Post
                                John Cleese wanted some Norwegian Jarlsberg cheese in Michael Palin's cheese shop, but there wasn't any there. Come to think of it, the only cheese that was in that shop was eaten by the cat.
                                Jarlsberg is a lovely, mild cheese. Highly recommended for pizzas. ☺
                                from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Working...
                                X