Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mincemeat...

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
    I did the same when my brother was born! These days I find Kummel tastes very much like an adult gripe water.



    It was always Heinz treacle pud for me - with lashings of golden syrup poured over it.

    Love,

    Caz
    X
    I loved treacle pud. And spotted dick. (I won't reveal what he was doing.)

    Comment


    • #47
      Our school dinners used to have "greens" about 3 times a week. I don't know what the hell they were--some sort of leafage, boiled into submission.

      Too dark for cabbage, too bland to be anything but cabbage


      I remember gypsy tart with fondness though. Haven't had any for over 30 years--sure it would make my teeth ache today.
      "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

      Comment


      • #48
        Originally posted by Magpie View Post
        Our school dinners used to have "greens" about 3 times a week. I don't know what the hell they were--some sort of leafage, boiled into submission.

        Too dark for cabbage, too bland to be anything but cabbage


        I remember gypsy tart with fondness though. Haven't had any for over 30 years--sure it would make my teeth ache today.
        According to the aforementioned greengrocer friend of mine, the 'greens'..or over boiled cabbage..were the outer leaves of the Savoy cabbage.
        When overboiled they emit a sulphur taste.
        Absolutely disgusting.



        Phil
        from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

        Comment


        • #49
          Never mind this shit they’ve taken the fudge out of selection boxes. Where’s my torch and pitch fork.

          Comment


          • #50
            Originally posted by String View Post
            Never mind this shit they’ve taken the fudge out of selection boxes. Where’s my torch and pitch fork.
            I guess all the nation's supplies of fudge have been sequestered by the government.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

            "Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

            Comment


            • #51
              On the subject of Cadbury's Fudge, it was decades before I found out that the boy soprano on the adverts was singing not "It's full of peppery goodness", but "It's full of Cadbury goodness..."

              Makes more sense when you think about it.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

              "Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

              Comment


              • #52
                I used to think it was peppery goodness too.


                Pop lyrics are another one : Ashes to Ashes by Bowie - "Do you remember a Galosphere?"

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  On the subject of Cadbury's Fudge, it was decades before I found out that the boy soprano on the adverts was singing not "It's full of peppery goodness", but "It's full of Cadbury goodness..."

                  Makes more sense when you think about it.
                  We used to snigger at the "finger of fudge" bit.
                  I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
                    We used to snigger at the "finger of fudge" bit.
                    I used to do a double-take at the lyrics:

                    "A finger of Fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat,
                    A finger of Fudge is just enough until it's time to eat..."

                    What they were saying, of course, was that it was a good snack to sustain you until tea-time, but it could also be read to mean that Fudge seems like a good idea until you actually bite into it.
                    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                    "Suche Nullen"
                    (F. Nietzsche)

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                      I used to do a double-take at the lyrics:

                      "A finger of Fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat,
                      A finger of Fudge is just enough until it's time to eat..."

                      What they were saying, of course, was that it was a good snack to sustain you until tea-time, but it could also be read to mean that Fudge seems like a good idea until you actually bite into it.
                      An uncle of mine misheard the Fairy Liquid jingle 'Hands that do dishes...' and asked 'Why judicious?'

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Our regular Sunday tea was 'shrimps and winkles': a pint of brown shrimps, ditto of winkles, brown bread and butter and sticks of celery followed by a slice or two of Battenburg and lashings of Rosie Lee.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Battenburg, with hopefully the squares not falling apart.

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                            Our regular Sunday tea was 'shrimps and winkles'
                            I bloody love winkles, me! All shellfish, come to think of it, even whelks; in fact, I think I'll call into Swansea Market on the way home and buy some
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

                            "Suche Nullen"
                            (F. Nietzsche)

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                              I bloody love winkles, me! All shellfish, come to think of it, even whelks; in fact, I think I'll call into Swansea Market on the way home and buy some
                              Not whelks, anything but whelks!

                              When I was 14 or so I had a Sunday morning job in Billingsgate market removing whelks from their shells. Bloody hard work in a cold, wet basement. Good money, though. The most off-putting thing was the slimy foamy stuff (reproductive?) that many of them exuded. Yuk!

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                                I bloody love winkles, me! All shellfish, come to think of it, even whelks; in fact, I think I'll call into Swansea Market on the way home and buy some
                                Don't forget the laverbread!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X