No announcement yet.

It's Groundhog Day Tomorrow!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sounds as though it has multiple uses. Scrapplehenge looks great. Have you attempted recreating any other monuments? The stuff looks sturdy enough!
    -Tania E-

I sure do, Tania.....One of the things I play with on a fairly regular basis is food.
    Next time I go to the supermarket, I'll get a pound....and make you an....drumroll......Offal Tower....just like that one over yonder in Paris.

Comment

Howard, that's brilliant. Look forward to it! I'd be REALLY impressed if you did the Colosseum!! Maybe there is a sideline in these Scrapple bricks. Have you thought about dying them a brownish colour and selling them to builders?
      t

Comment

Have you thought about dying them a brownish colour and selling them to builders?

Hmm....I might look into that, Tania.
        I'll split the profits with you if I can make a buck or two.

Comment

Howard, we can start a Swiss bank account or something off shore..Your choice.
          t

Comment

Originally posted by Tania Edwards View Post
            Howard, we can start a Swiss bank account or something off shore..Your choice.
            t
            Don’t start him on that again. He took it literally and rowed a mile out with his phone to open an account. Unfortunately a large wave knocked his phone into the water.

Comment

Don't you mean, he had Nina row a mile out?

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                Don't you mean, he had Nina row a mile out?
                Nah, he had a row with Nina and - swish! - she knocked out his smile. Those 'scrapple bricks' are what's left of his 'ampsteads'.

Comment

Nine minute video of two guys down in Sowfilly (South Philly ) in a steak shop....one of them wolfs down a scrapple cheese steak. I'm drooling over here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhpsFbfIvuQ

Comment

Just think when we leave the EU the ban on toxic sandwiches will be lifted and we can enjoy these.

Comment

Originally posted by Magpie View Post
                      Magpie's famous groundhog stew recipe:

In case, you know, you feel you find yourself maybe needing to dispose of a groundhog at some point today,

Ingedients:

140g prunes
                      50ml brandy
                      50g soft brown sugar
                      I large groundhog, jointed
                      plain flour, for dusting
                      1 tbsp vegetable oil
                      3 rashers smoked streaky bacon, sliced into thin strips
                      2 carrots, chopped
                      1 onion, chopped
                      2 celery sticks, chopped
                      1 garlic clove, crushed
                      2 thyme sprigs
                      1 bay leaf
                      150ml red wine, the best you can afford
                      250ml chicken stock
                      chopped parsley and wild rice, to serve

Method:

Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Put the prunes in a bowl with the brandy and brown sugar, stir, then set aside to soak.

Dust the groundhog in the flour. Heat the oil in a large flameproof dish and brown the furry little rat bastard all over until golden – you may have to do this in batches. Set the treacherous little prick aside. Add the bacon, vegetables, garlic and herbs to the dish and fry for 5 mins until starting to colour.

Pour in the red wine and scrape all the goodness off the bottom of the dish. Add the chicken stock and put the groundhog back in the dish with the boozy prunes, then cover and cook for 2 hrs, stirring occasionally, until the groundhog is totally tender and his family is weeping bitter tears. Serve scattered with parsley and wild rice on the side.
                      It is Groundhog Day tomorrow and this post needs to be remembered.

Once again I will ask, if Punxsutawney Phil gets it wrong, does he become scrapple around Easter time?
                      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Punxatawney Phil....live ....

Spring is around the corner, folks.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/groundhog...n-early-spring

All hail Phil !

Comment

I think the little pecker might be right again...its gonna get up to 60 F by Tuesday.

Some spots in the States will experience a 70 degree change from the weather from this past Thursday by Tuesday.

All hail the grand groundhog !!!

Comment

We’ve been having ground hog day for the last two years.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                              We’ve been having ground hog day for the last two years.
                              With one side saying that spring may be delayed, but it will come eventually and the other predicting an eternal nuclear winter.

Comment

Groundhog Day is the old Druidic Farmer's Almanac. St. Brigid's day, February first, may have intentionally usurped the pagan Imbolc festival which was involved with the goddess Brigid. Then Christian Candlemas is February 2, another holy day centered on the female as the purification in the temple of Mary the mother of Jesus.

I thought Grounhog Day was silly and stupid so of course I wanted to know who started it. Old pagan customs are interesting because sometimes we can learn scientific ideas.

Imbolc was tied to lambing, the beginning of which varied by a couple weeks, year to year. It was also the time when farmers knew they could/should plow the fields to ready them for later seeding. At that time calendars were not yet invented or Stonehenge and other circular creations were the only ones they had. Keeping track of days is essential for agriculture, so historians say. It seems folks living close to the earth would get some idea about time by closely watching the sun and other signs...like groundhogs.

I enjoy watching the groundhogs (marmots) here in the west. I saw one out in the sun about two weeks ago and that was unusual. The winter has not been very hard. Maybe the creature knew he better enjoy the sun before severe weather returned. Groundhogs must mate underground because when they really come out they have partially grown young with them. One of the first things they do is graze on fresh grass shoots then they lie on warm rocks and scratch their fleas.
                                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Working...
                                X