Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Groundhog Day Tomorrow!!

Magpie's famous groundhog stew recipe:

In case, you know, you feel you find yourself maybe needing to dispose of a groundhog at some point today,

Ingedients:

140g prunes
    50ml brandy
    50g soft brown sugar
    I large groundhog, jointed
    plain flour, for dusting
    1 tbsp vegetable oil
    3 rashers smoked streaky bacon, sliced into thin strips
    2 carrots, chopped
    1 onion, chopped
    2 celery sticks, chopped
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    2 thyme sprigs
    1 bay leaf
    150ml red wine, the best you can afford
    250ml chicken stock
    chopped parsley and wild rice, to serve

Method:

Heat oven to 150C/130C fan/gas 2. Put the prunes in a bowl with the brandy and brown sugar, stir, then set aside to soak.

Dust the groundhog in the flour. Heat the oil in a large flameproof dish and brown the furry little rat bastard all over until golden – you may have to do this in batches. Set the treacherous little prick aside. Add the bacon, vegetables, garlic and herbs to the dish and fry for 5 mins until starting to colour.

Pour in the red wine and scrape all the goodness off the bottom of the dish. Add the chicken stock and put the groundhog back in the dish with the boozy prunes, then cover and cook for 2 hrs, stirring occasionally, until the groundhog is totally tender and his family is weeping bitter tears. Serve scattered with parsley and wild rice on the side.
    "The Men who were not the Man who was not Jack the Ripper!"

Sounds delicious.
    Wonder if that recipe works on raccoon. Got a couple in the attic.
    Best Wishes,
    Cris Malone

Comment

Oh, that is a cute recipe!

I did ask on another thread is Punxsutawney Phil ended up in the scrapple if he messed up.

We haven't seen much sun since Thanksgiving. One or two days maybe. Groundhogs don't come out here till May or June. Smart little buggers.
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

This recipe sounds delicious except for the groundhog part. Guess I could use kangaroo instead. How is Groundhog Day usually celebrated?

t

Comment

Tania:

Well, in Pennsylvania, we sure as hell don't eat them like the resident Canadian savage Magpie apparently does.

We eat better stuff...like the innards, tongues, and throw away parts from cows, pigs, and the occasional mystery animal that wandered onto the farm...mixed with a few spices. Its known as Scrapple.

One 1 lb. block of this shi...stuff has enough cholesterol to send the entire Romanian Army to a medical clinic. Thing is, is that its so good that you almost have to eat the entire one pound brick after baking or frying it. Then watch that waistline get wasted !

Between you n' me, Tania.....I worship the stuff...

Whenever my old lady ain't looking....I play Neolithic cook in the kitchen and set up replicas of historical sites...such as Scrapplehenge.

Don't look at me that way.....

Visitors ( in the thousands, by the way ) see this from the north end :

To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

What a beautiful testimonial for scrapple! Lovely artwork. It seems megaliths like Stonehenge were ancient calendars and clocks. If you arrange that scrapple just right you could make a sun dial.
            The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Would scrapple be like spam?

Comment

String:

No pardner......Spam isn't like scrapple at all. They both come in brick-form but are as different as schlemiel is from schlimazel.
                To Join JTR Forums :
                Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                  Would scrapple be like spam?
                  Not like spam at all. Spam won't etch metal...

Comment

Originally posted by Tania Edwards View Post
                    This recipe sounds delicious except for the groundhog part. Guess I could use kangaroo instead. How is Groundhog Day usually celebrated?

t
                    Hi Tania. It's actually a legitimate recipe for rabbit stew, satirically edited by yours truly 😁

Comment

OMG! Scrapple sounds more like crapple. Sorry, but an offal brick...

Sounds as though it has multiple uses. Scrapplehenge looks great. Have you attempted recreating any other monuments? The stuff looks sturdy enough!

Magpie - I love the Method in the recipe. LMAO.

t

Comment

Ach like spam if you put enough Branson pickle or piccalilli on it it will be okay.

Comment

String
                          I read an article some years ago when the Mayan end of the world prophecy was topical that sales of Spam and toilet paper increased dramatically in some part of Australia. No mention of pickles though!

t

Comment

Well if the worlds about to end toilet paper use certainly would rise.

Comment

I believe I have unearthed the deep-seated origin of How's eel phobia - a childhood trauma. Go from 15.30 :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyThb77Ck2g&t=1318s

Comment

Working...
                              X