Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Magpie
    replied
    I've confirmed there are a tunnels between the buildings at both Guy's Hospital and St Thomas hospital. I read a BBC report about Doctors and nurses suing because of asbestos in the tunnels has been making them ill.

Leave a comment:

• Sean Crundall
    replied
    Originally posted by Martyn Priestnall View Post
    Hi

I got this factoid from a bloke down the pub so must be true!

This particular gentlemen is a retired hospital warder at Guy's Hospital, London
    and informed me there are corridors/wards that run underground from the hospital down to the Borough.

He sounded sincere when he told me this.

Has anybody heard of this and perhaps can add to this?

Martyn
    Hi Martyn,

It's possible. London has many tunnels but I can't imagine why a tunnel would have run from Guy's Hospital to the Borough. The distance between the two is slight. Possibly there is a connection to the Bishops' of Winchester.

I was once told that a tunnel ran from the Woolwich Arsenal to Westminster.

In the days of political intrigue, suspicion and religious persecution, tunnels were often created in order to spirit away the dissenters. Nowadays they tend to leave via aircraft! Or hole up in an embassy!

Please excuse my earlier, confused, posting.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Leave a comment:

• Martyn Priestnall
    replied
    Did you know beneath Guy's hospital...

Originally posted by Phillip Walton View Post
    I can well believe it, many of the museums in Kensington are likewise connected and the public has access. Also Mitre Square where the buildings on the north east and west side were connected via the basements.
    Thanks for the info.

Presumably these wards were a part of the hospital from it's beginning?

I know he worked at one time on the psychiatric wards, so, just guessing,
    they would be those wards, kind of out of the way? Matters not.

Martyn

Leave a comment:

• Phillip Walton
    replied
    I can well believe it, many of the museums in Kensington are likewise connected and the public has access. Also Mitre Square where the buildings on the north east and west side were connected via the basements.

Leave a comment:

• Martyn Priestnall
    started a topic Did you know beneath Guy's hospital...

Did you know beneath Guy's hospital...

Hi

I got this factoid from a bloke down the pub so must be true!

This particular gentlemen is a retired hospital warder at Guy's Hospital, London
    and informed me there are corridors/wards that run underground from the hospital down to the Borough.

He sounded sincere when he told me this.

Has anybody heard of this and perhaps can add to this?

Martyn
    Last edited by Martyn Priestnall; July 22, 2017, 06:41 AM. Reason: Anal attention to detail.
Working...
X