X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anna Morris
    replied
    Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    Of course, we never hear about the Irish Theseus who knitted himself a jersey and was trapped for ever.
    And I am sure there was not one clew left in sight.

Leave a comment:

• Robert Linford
    replied
    Of course, we never hear about the Irish Theseus who knitted himself a jersey and was trapped for ever.

Leave a comment:

• Sam Flynn
    replied
    Interesting. I'd have guessed that it came from the Latin "clavis" or French "clef" (key), but evidently (k)not!

Leave a comment:

• Anna Morris
    started a topic Clue or Clew....

Clue or Clew....

We encounter both spellings, clew and clue in old mysteries. I thought it was just a matter of spelling which standardized around the mid-twentieth century. Actually, "clew" is an interesting and appropriate word for crime investigations.

I recently obtained the book, "The Man From the Train" by Bill James and Rachel McCarthy James. On page 85 is this: "(It is unclear whether Prettyman knew that a 'clew' was in fact a ball of twine. The modern word CLUE evolved from the word clew, which meant a ball of string or twine.)

Of course that interested me so I looked up the etymology of both words and I will let the "Online Etymology Dictionary" say the rest.
    Attached Files
Working...
X