Welsh Clog Dance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
    I wonder whether eating these little critters boosts dancing proficiency?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-48259397
    Actually, one of the Welsh folk-dances performed in the clip I posted earlier is called Ceiliog y Rhedyn, or "The Grasshopper", which the kids used to love performing. The dancers flap their elbows to represent the grasshopper's shorter forelegs, and the boys periodically crouch and spring into the air to mimic the insects' leaps. Snippet below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bt_3...youtu.be&t=597
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

When I saw that I thought that 'ceiliog' must be a form of 'ceilidh' but on checking found that it's not. Doh!

Comment

Isn't it a Celtic Cornflake?

Comment

IIRC, in 'Things Fall Apart' by Chinua Achebe, there's a description of how a rare event occurred at an (African) village : a swarm of locusts settled there and the inhabitants feasted for days.

Comment

Originally posted by Cogidubnus View Post
            Isn't it a Celtic Cornflake?
            Oddly enough, Dave, you might well find a "ceiliog" on certain cornflakes packets, as it means cockerel. This means that, for some reason, the Welsh word for grasshopper - ceiliog y rhedyn - means "cockerel of the bracken"... or that diminutive of cockerel which I haven't used in case it makes people snigger.
            Originally posted by Robert Linford
            When I saw that I thought that 'ceiliog' must be a form of 'ceilidh' but on checking found that it's not.
            All the same, full marks for thinking that way.
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Dave, this is a clog dance not a Kellogg dance.

Comment

yes...a two-way gag, but I don't think I'll bother as the Cock's loss is Gareth's gain...bit like something out of HE Bates that....
                Dave

Comment

Working...
                X