New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

I guess this is as good a place as any to post this information. Probably everyone knows about this new Wuhan coronavirus that is being compared to SARS and MERS. Here are two good articles, one from BBC and another from a reporter with lots of practical experience.

http://bbc.com/news/health-51048366

http://foreignpolicy.com/2020/01/25/...-safety-china/
    The Wuhan Virus: How to Stay Safe

It appears the death rate is fairly low at around 2.5%, killing mostly people over 60 and/or those with other chronic conditions. This virus differs from MERS and SARS because it can be transmitted before a person is symptomatic.

nCoV = novel corona virus, meaning nobody has seen this one before. Some sources think it could have come through bats and snakes since the protein spikes on the outside of the virus appear to be snake in origin. This is the seventh coronovirus known to infect humans. The milder ones cause the "common cold". Considering it has been said there will never be a vaccine for the common cold because the virus mutates too fast, I wonder what will happen if a deadly strain produces a global infection.

However that is, the threat of this thing has driven down the stock market, according to the "Wall Street Journal." (Otherwise known as a buying opportunity.)
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

No confirmed cases in Tasmania yet but there's been several on the mainland. Once every few years we seem to have a scare with some different variant of this. Despite everything going on in the background, it's pretty impressive that China has been able to build a 1,000 bed brand new hospital specifically to deal with this virus in just a couple of days!

Stay safe everyone.

Cheers,
    Adam.

Comment

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...avirus-anyway/

Iíve traveled back in time to warn you to shut your houses up and stock up provisions. The bad news is that there is only about a million people left in the world the good news is the scrapple industry is devastated.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
        https://arstechnica.com/science/2020...avirus-anyway/

Iíve traveled back in time to warn you to shut your houses up and stock up provisions. The bad news is that there is only about a million people left in the world the good news is the scrapple industry is devastated.
        Great article, String!

Comment

Here is an interesting site that is graphing the spread of the disease:

http://worldometers.info/coronavirus/

The death rate is still low but the recovery rate is also low so there must be a lot of really sick people. It is not comforting that China has allegedly turned sports arenas into hospitals. Are they preparing for the worst or is it already bad?

(Personally I wonder if this virus had been around for a while? For what it's worth and maybe not much, I have wondered if that "vaping related illness" which started in the U.S. last summer, had a viral component? If you go back before this disorder was reported it looks like similar cases began with viral infections. I didn't think the pattern of cases looked like a tainted product issue.)

Something I read about the 1918 influenza and any future outbreaks of similar magnitude, said governments would have to absolutely tell the truth and be transparent in order to control future epidemics. It looks like the U.S. CDC was less than honest with the "vaping related illness" findings and that that outbreak has been heavily leveraged for political purposes. Meanwhile an article claims the doctor in China who first suggested there was a new, dangerous viral illness in November, was told by the government not to harm the social stability of the country. In other words, shut-up! As of today it is reported that doctor is in hospital in bad condition and that his family has also bee infected.

Comment

It's now a race to see which happens first : creation of a vaccine, or publication of the Iowa results.

Comment

You've toped even yourself with that one, Bob.
              Best Wishes,
              Cris Malone

Comment

I had no idea he was a toper...perhaps he just bottled out...

Comment

Coronavirus cases in numbers
                  There are now at least 69,260 global confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus, and 1,666 deaths. Here's where:

1. Australia (15 cases)

2. Belgium (1 case)

3. Cambodia (1 case)

4. Canada (7 cases)

5. Finland (1 case)

6. France (11 cases, 1 death)

7. Germany (16 cases)

8. Hong Kong (56 cases, 1 death)

9. India (3 cases)

10. Italy (3 cases)

11. Japan (407 total: 51 cases on land including 1 death + 356 from cruise ship)

12. Macao (10 cases)

13. Malaysia (19 cases)

14. Nepal (1 case)

15. Philippines (3 cases, 1 death)

16. Russia (2 cases)

17. Singapore (72 cases)

18. South Korea (29 cases)

19. Spain (2 cases)

20. Sri Lanka (1 case)

21. Sweden (1 case)

22. Taiwan (18 cases)

23. Thailand (33 cases)

24. United Arab Emirates (8 cases)

25. United Kingdom (8 cases)

26. United States (15 cases)

27. Vietnam (16 cases)

28: Egypt (1 case)

Comment

Any on the island of Ireland, String?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                      Any on the island of Ireland, String?
                      There was a scare on a flight into Belfast I believe but it turned out to be just that.

Comment

Originally posted by String View Post
                        There was a scare on a flight into Belfast I believe but it turned out to be just that.
                        Thatís good news. Long may it remain so.

Comment

Looks like Nina and I did the right thing.....we pulled my 401K early ( the entire thing) ten days ago. Didn't have to pay a fee ( since I'm over 59 1/2)...got it all.
                          Stock market took it up the tailpipe today. Expect it to go even lower soon.
                          To Join JTR Forums :
                          Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
                            Looks like Nina and I did the right thing.....we pulled my 401K early ( the entire thing) ten days ago. Didn't have to pay a fee ( since I'm over 59 1/2)...got it all.
                            Stock market took it up the tailpipe today. Expect it to go even lower soon.
                            Good for you. IMO the stock market is a false market so it will drop a certain amount of points now and bounce back when it serves a purpose. Good downturns are buying opportunities. That is something to think about, the good, steady long lasting blue chip companies like General Mills, Eli Lilly, the tobacco companies, etc.

Comment

I hear ya, Anna.
                              My one grandmom was given a nice chunk of change in 1912 for her wedding as a gift...she immediately put it into a little thought of stock. People probably rolled their eyes. It was AT &T stock. She lived off it until she sold it shortly before she died..

Back to the virus. Seems its making the rounds everywhere now.
                              To Join JTR Forums :
                              Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
                              X