New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
    But generally this is not just a disease that kills octogenarians. In the UK, about a quarter of the fatalities are in people under 75. Not that I share the inclination of some people anyway, to write off the deaths of elderly people as preferable to disrupting our convenient way of life.
    Perhaps it should be called the Fred Shipman virus. His victims were mostly old, but some were only in their 40s, 50s and 60s, and relatively few were so poorly at the time that they were expected to die. A common factor - rare in deaths from natural causes - which eventually raised the alarm, was that the victims tended to die in their own home in the daytime, fully clothed, sitting in an arm chair with their front door unlocked. A nicer way to go than catching COVID from someone you are treating, maybe, but not if you are fit and well and have many more good years in you. It's an absolute tragedy that those in the caring professions are risking their lives every day, while there are selfish people of all ages still refusing to wear a face covering or socially distance, because public health comes a poor second to their personal freedom to go around behaving like a loaded weapon. Death from this virus is the ultimate infringement on the victim's civil liberties.

It's ironic that so many are blind to the financial hardship to come with Brexit, but would sacrifice granny - and her doctors and nurses - to the virus, to lessen the immediate damage to the economy.

Love,

Caz
    X
    I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• Originally posted by Caroline Brown View Post
      Perhaps it should be called the Fred Shipman virus. His victims were mostly old, but some were only in their 40s, 50s and 60s, and relatively few were so poorly at the time that they were expected to die. A common factor - rare in deaths from natural causes - which eventually raised the alarm, was that the victims tended to die in their own home in the daytime, fully clothed, sitting in an arm chair with their front door unlocked. A nicer way to go than catching COVID from someone you are treating, maybe, but not if you are fit and well and have many more good years in you. It's an absolute tragedy that those in the caring professions are risking their lives every day, while there are selfish people of all ages still refusing to wear a face covering or socially distance, because public health comes a poor second to their personal freedom to go around behaving like a loaded weapon. Death from this virus is the ultimate infringement on the victim's civil liberties.

It's ironic that so many are blind to the financial hardship to come with Brexit, but would sacrifice granny - and her doctors and nurses - to the virus, to lessen the immediate damage to the economy.

Love,

Caz
      X
      Where's the "like" button when you need it?

Comment

Love,

Caz
        X
        Interestingly I am trying to help a sick and severely crippled friend who was left to starve, dehydrate, etc. I told the bureaucrats, if they could not provide people for care, I would hire private nurses. What I didn't know is that is almost impossible since lots of people are not working because.....The Virus.

Nor do bureaucrats have to do anything......because.....The Virus.

To use an Americanism, the buck just keeps getting passed and nothing gets done.....because....The Virus.

I am thinking it will require extraordinary means to help my friend and I hope I make the right choices.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Death from this virus is the ultimate infringement on the victim's civil liberties.

We often hear the view expressed that students had to go back to university because otherwise they would have been robbed of a year of their lives.

I think that ignores the plight of the elderly and vulnerable, who are being robbed of at least part of their lives every day they are too frightened to leave their homes for fear of being infected.

Add to that the fact that young people have so many more years ahead of them than the elderly - and the fact that, judging from infection rates, many young people can't be bothered to take any precautions against spreading the virus - and I think that view is a pretty peculiar one.

Comment

• Meanwhile, it looks like Taiwan got it right in combating the virus.

It looks like much of the western world is using hospital overload as indication of when to apply restrictions. IMO, this is missing a few points since the goal should be to stop the virus if possible.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
              Interestingly I am trying to help a sick and severely crippled friend who was left to starve, dehydrate, etc. I told the bureaucrats, if they could not provide people for care, I would hire private nurses. What I didn't know is that is almost impossible since lots of people are not working because.....The Virus.

Nor do bureaucrats have to do anything......because.....The Virus.

To use an Americanism, the buck just keeps getting passed and nothing gets done.....because....The Virus.

I am thinking it will require extraordinary means to help my friend and I hope I make the right choices.

If people are using the virus as an excuse for neglecting people who need care, that is appalling.

But I have to say that it's neither here nor there in the debate about what measures should be taken to limit the spread of the virus.

Comment

• I am so sorry for your situation, Anna. Things may be tough for caring professionals and their patients here in the UK, but I can't imagine how much tougher it would have been for the vast majority who are not millionaires if we didn't have the NHS.

Love,

Caz
                X

Comment

Most everything is functioning poorly in my area, especially on the Oregon side of the border. It is a combination of things but the basic root is "The Virus". Nobody has to do anything or be responsible for anything because....The Virus.
                  Where the virus is really spiking is the rural states who scorned social distancing and mask wearing. My relatives in Montana tell me people who wear masks in the streets are often ridiculed and confronted as "un-American" or "crazy libs," while the bars are still open to roaring trade.

At the top is the current stats, showing the spikes: North Dakota, Alaska, South Dakota, Idaho, Wyoming, Montana, Nebraska, etc. In other words, states that didn't take Fauci's recommendations seriously. They kept the saloons open, threw massive motorcycle rallies, political events, etc.

The second stats shows states that have flattened the curve and have things under control. Notice the "Oregon" side of the border: it's flat and has remained flat. Also New York State: major population density, yet they've reversed the trend.

It's not hard to figure out why these trends exist. Some governors enforced mandates, others didn't. That and the 'I can do whatever I want in America' attitude.

The only real hot-spot spike in Oregon was traced to a church group in a rural county who kept holding services despite the risks.
                  Attached Files

Comment

We often hear the view expressed that students had to go back to university because otherwise they would have been robbed of a year of their lives.

I think that ignores the plight of the elderly and vulnerable, who are being robbed of at least part of their lives every day they are too frightened to leave their homes for fear of being infected.

Add to that the fact that young people have so many more years ahead of them than the elderly - and the fact that, judging from infection rates, many young people can't be bothered to take any precautions against spreading the virus - and I think that view is a pretty peculiar one.
                    I was also thinking the other day that, while it's sad that many families have been physically separated for several months now, this went on for up to six years during WWII, without anyone knowing if or when they would be reunited with their loved ones, and everyone just had to put up with the separation, without the 21st century luxury of virtual communication.

It wouldn't hurt us now and then to appreciate that, in general, life is still easier in 2020, masked up and isolated, than it was for previous generations.

Love,

Caz
                    X

Comment

I was also thinking the other day that, while it's sad that many families have been physically separated for several months now, this went on for up to six years during WWII, without anyone knowing if or when they would be reunited with their loved ones, and everyone just had to put up with the separation, without the 21st century luxury of virtual communication.

It wouldn't hurt us now and then to appreciate that, in general, life is still easier in 2020, masked up and isolated, than it was for previous generations.

Love,

Caz
                      X
                      Indeed. In the past I have idly wondered from time to time whether people today would be capable of the same sacrifices that were made by our parents' and grandparents' generation during the Second World War.

Perhaps I am just turning into an old git now, but fear that this pandemic has given us the answer.

Comment

• That would make me an old 'gitess' then.

Comment

• R.J.....Hello! Your comments hit close to home. I am here to partially correct what I said a few posts ago.

I noted that a small cafe had its door plastered with placards, the top most mentioning a "massive outbreak" in Nearby Town. So I moved along and didn't have dinner. I'm in the area because I own property in the area.

A business associate invited me for lunch tomorrow and I mentioned the "massive outbreak". He and I looked up statistics which are updated daily and locally, and there are almost no cases at this time.

The county of about 25,000 population has had almost 500 cases altogether and none recently.

The huge upsurge was when that church had a couple touchy-feely-kiss-and-hug conferences. Their FB page, which got scrubbed, seemed to say they were encouraging herd immunity. Fortunately I am mostly alone when I am in that area. I could say a lot more but the other thing the county is known for is unsolved murders. Paul Harvey used to say if you wanted to get away with murder, do it there.

I have had dinner at the cafe since the "massive outbreak" and those signs were not there. My husband would have said they must have had too many signs and had to put them somewhere.

I have been supportive of Oregon measures. What I question is, under state rules and guidelines, why the banks have closed down. There are banks in the state that are open all the way so it is not a necessity to close. Additionally, why would a large national--even international--bank close down in March and not reopen, apparently anywhere? Lots of us in business used that bank. Customers are scrambling--and waiting months--to clear out safety deposit boxes. I could not get cashiers checks so had funds wired from my brokerage account--at a cost--to make large purchases. (I need tractors and stuff for my nature reserve.)

In Idaho, mask requirements are county by county. Some places you do get dirty looks if using a mask. County by county doesn't make a lot of sense because people travel. Many travel for work and stop along the way for meals, etc.

Concerning my third issue, it is still apparently legal and moral to allow a severely ill, crippled patient to die alone of dehydration, starvation, etc. because....The Virus. This is in Oregon. If I was unable to do certain things, the patient would have been left to die horribly. I am thankful I can help but I am not sure of the next step since there is little to nothing available to correct the situation because....The Virus. No facilities. No care givers available. (I am not well enough to take on the 24/7 nursing.) I wonder how many patients have been left to die alone in 'assisted living' arrangements or private rooms, etc.? Will these be official COVID deaths, as in no care because of The Virus? Frightening prospect. I am still horrified by the condition in which I found my friend after days of no care. I didn't think that could happen in America with the conditions present, allegedly 'assisted living'.

Personally I am respectfully following rules on both sides of the border. I believe a lot in the UK studies that suggest mask usage = lower viral load = maybe some level of protection or immunity. Fortunately this virus seems to do the worst with a high viral load and do less with a low exposure. (Some animal viruses are still so virulent that you can pack in a few viruses on the bottom of your shoe and kill off a herd.)

Plus I think I already had the illness. I also know I was exposed to a diagnosed case from overseas and didn't get sick...again....

Comment

• Latest disaster news: Virus mas mutated to infect thousands of mink in Denmark. Mink allegedly infected by humans. Does this create a new strain that can jump back into humans? Anybody's guess at this time.

Comment

Latest disaster news: Virus mas mutated to infect thousands of mink in Denmark. Mink allegedly infected by humans. Does this create a new strain that can jump back into humans? Anybody's guess at this time.

I think it is known to have passed between the species in both directions.

The worry is that as there are several mutations in the spike protein, the vaccines under development may be less effective against the new strain. Not that we know how effective they are in general yet.

Surprisingly, there are (or were) three times as many mink in Denmark as humans.

Comment

I think it is known to have passed between the species in both directions.

The worry is that as there are several mutations in the spike protein, the vaccines under development may be less effective against the new strain. Not that we know how effective they are in general yet.

Surprisingly, there are (or were) three times as many mink in Denmark as humans.
                                All true. I wouldn't be surprised if this virus hasn't passed many times between animals & humans. Evolutionary research seems to show this. That is why, IMO, it is incorrect to insist it came from China. This latest round may have started there but who is to say it hasn't been here before? (I started this thread and don't think I can change the title which names Wuhan. That is what it was all about when I started the thread. If How wants to rename it, I am fine with that.)

Comment

Working...
                                X