New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics...or-ioc-member/

No thanks. Let the Japanese host this inspiring display of international fraternity in drugs.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
      https://www.telegraph.co.uk/olympics...or-ioc-member/

No thanks. Let the Japanese host this inspiring display of international fraternity in drugs.
      OH....another international Olympics just when a new, deadly virus emerges....what could possibly go wrong?

(I just watched an archaeology video on presumably Christian and/or Jewish graffiti in Pompeii and Herculanium. Stuff was scrawled on the walls in charcoal like, "Sodom Gomorrah", "smite utterly", etc. If these scrawls are interpreted accurately it looks like some of the populace thought the second coming was happening. Just a thought. Imagine the whole world swapping viruses at the Japanese Olympics......)
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

I think they held them there in 1960 or 64. As always, the main thing I remember is the music.

I think in those days you got half an hour of daily highlights, and that was it.

Comment

How did this thing get such a start in Italy? Maybe science needs to look beyond bats, snakes and pangolins as the source? Maybe it is something else more widespread, like migrating birds? It is now reported that Italy has 11 deaths from COVID-19.

If we start getting statistics like this in the U.S. I think I'll take my dogs and live in the mountains till it subsides. I have a peculiar heart rate no doctor fully understands and regular flu half kills me.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
            Here is a clip from the site I linked in my first post. ( https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ) This is up to date information. Statistics drive me crazy! General media sources are claiming around 2% mortality but surely it makes more sense to get the death rate from the resolved cases, not the masses of people currently infected? If we do this there is a 19% death rate according to this site. COVID-19 has 80% of the SARS genome and it looks like there is a similar mortality rate.

That 19% figure is for the percentage of current cases that are serious, though, not for deaths. In contrast, for China outside Hubei, the percentage of cases that have resulted in death so far is only about 0.8%. That figure is rising, but only quite slowly now, and given that the epidemic seems to have almost completely run its course in that population of more than a billion, with new cases per day now in single figures - which I still find quite amazing - it's difficult to see it rising too far beyond 1%. (The fatality rate in Hubei has been considerably higher, and because the overall numbers are so much greater there, Hubei's statistics dominate the averages.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
              That 19% figure is for the percentage of current cases that are serious, though, not for deaths. In contrast, for China outside Hubei, the percentage of cases that have resulted in death so far is only about 0.8%. That figure is rising, but only quite slowly now, and given that the epidemic seems to have almost completely run its course in that population of more than a billion, with new cases per day now in single figures - which I still find quite amazing - it's difficult to see it rising too far beyond 1%. (The fatality rate in Hubei has been considerably higher, and because the overall numbers are so much greater there, Hubei's statistics dominate the averages.)
              Thanks, Chris. I don't know why I get confused with statistics.

Comment

This attachment provides some information about the present COVID-19 situation which originated in Wuhan.

https://www.realclearscience.com/blo..._in_china.html

What is doesn't do is to address other potential political manipulations by the Chinese government who have form for misinformation and machevilan deviousness.

Take the case of Hong Kong, for example. There is no form of restriction from travelling to and from the 'independent' territory , so what better way would there be to rid the streets of tiresome protesters other than a highly infectious virus? Perhaps a sledgehammer to crack a nut , but effective ,nonetheless.

While we delve into the world of speculation and conspiracies as is frequently manifested on the Forum, Would it beyond the bounds of imagination that the the introduction of novel coronavirus might be useful to throw a spanner into the global economic works? Recently , China has experienced quite a downturn in its forecast growth rate , assisted by the stable genius that occupies the White House. Could this be a touch of pay back courtesy of Mr Xi?

Then, of course,western eyes, along with those from the SE Asian countries that have a claim to the Spratly and Paracel archipelagos have been averted.

Just a thought or two
                Be nice to one another!
                Merv

Comment

Interesting article, Merv. There is a lot I don't understand about infectious diseases, some of which are mentioned in this article.

I live in a rural area and have domestic animals. A wide range of wild animals go through my land. My husband was a hunter so we had lots of wild game. I go out in the woods and deserts with my dogs, camping and exploring. There are some diseases available but no real outbreaks. Bubonic plague is in some of our rodents but this can be cured with antibiotics.

When Europeans came to the Americas, Old World diseases decimated the native populations but with the possible exception of syphilis, the natives did not send new epidemics to Europe.

Some have theorized that domesticable (SpellCheck says that isn't a word?) animals were available in the Old World but not the new. There are no prototype cows, sheep, pigs or horses in the New World though horses may have originated in North America but died out. So the theory goes, long interaction with domesticated animals led to diseases jumping species.

On the other hand Native Americans had domesticated fowl, guinea pigs and dogs. South American tribes eat monkeys and keep varieties of pets. Llamas and alpacas, related to camels, make lousy pets though they are somewhat domesticated. (Prejudiced comment--I have heard these animals are unsociable when domesticated.)

Some wild fowl I believe technically cross from the old world to new, like wintering in Asia and flying back to Alaska and Canada to breed. So why don't they bring in new flu viruses?

I think population and overpopulation may have something to do with it. Go back to the Sweating Sickness, the English Sweat of Tudor times. Whatever it was, there is a scholarly paper that tracked the spread of the illness from the Midlands to London and beyond. It sure looks like it was a contagious disease passed human to human. IMO, the symptoms were an awful lot like some cases of the 1918 flu. One of the 'mysteries' of this disease was that it only infected English people and did not cross borders into Wales, Scotland or Ireland! Supposedly.

What if it was something like flu? One reason we think of the flu season being in winter is because we tend to send our children to schools to swap germs and viruses in the fall/winter/spring. Some experts have said without this plus people living indoors in cold months in the northern hemisphere, flu and other such ills would happen throughout the year. So if the English Sweat was an early summer flu passed via slow travel to areas of low population density, might it die out before infecting the world and seem to stay within the borders of one country?

It is now suggested the 1918 flu originated in a tiny hamlet in Kansas where there was hog farming. What if a sick young man had died on the lonely prairie instead of getting to infect a hugely overcrowded army barracks? How many times have diseases tried to start but died out with small populations?

On the other hand, is there something long established in Eurasia where viruses and humans have shared genetic information for millennia, thus there is a process endemic to that part of the world?

(By the way, 'influenza' was first applied to the English Sweat by an Italian physician. Though the Sweat has not been identified as flu, the term stuck for what is now known as flu.)

Comment

In the full article there is no good explanation for exactly who are the 8400 people California is monitoring. I wonder how many infected people were wandering around the world before the virus was officially announced?

(I am sort of like a "prepper" so if this thing gets going I can live fine with no human contact. I get mild paralysis from flu so God knows what this new virus would do to me. Meanwhile it's a buying opportunity in the stock market.)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Here is a personal anecdote from a You-Tuber in South Korea.
                      Attached Files

Comment

As many as 646,000 people may die from influenza each year worldwide.

I donít see panic every year.

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/health/...-who-estimated

Comment

We've just had our first confirmed fatality from the virus over here, a man from Perth who was one of those unfortunate enough to be on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I do echo the sentiments of others here though that the fatal impact from the virus has been wildly overstated. I read an article yesterday about how sales of Corona beer have plummeted since the outbreak of the virus. Insane.

Cheers,
                          Adam.

Comment

My friend and I crossed the border today to shop in Ontario, Oregon. Someone commented about the extra large crowds out and about and someone else said Wal Mart was selling out of many items, especially face masks. (Which experts say likely provide no protection.)

What the heck? Well, there is now an "outbreak" in Washington state, up near Seattle. That's about 800 miles northwest of Ontario, Oregon. I have been travelling most of the day so just now checked what's happening in Washington. First U.S. casualty. I think it's the fellow who was our first case. But there is an "outbreak" in a retirement center. Except most cases have not been confirmed by test.

Frighteningly and supposedly, as in Italy, new cases have no connection with travel or people who have travelled.

Researchers think maybe the virus can access receptor sites in the kidneys and that is why some fatalities have been due to kidney failure. There are reports of people needing kidney transplants following infection with this virus. Researchers also suggest the virus may cause male infertility but that is a much weaker claim.

I expect any day to hear the virus has been quietly spreading for some time, cause unknown and that it did not originate in bats, snakes or pangolins in China. Just a loose thought in my head.

As String mentioned in a post below, the flu is more lethal. I suppose the main differences are that we are used to flu, there is some understanding of the disease and vaccines are available. Most of us have had or been exposed to various flus in a lifetime and science can plot our susceptibility to new strains. Nobody knows much of anything about the new corona virus.

I personally fear viruses, including the flu because I have had Guillan Barre syndrome and some viral illnesses partially reactivate the nerve damage. I have plenty to occupy me without human contact and lots of food so shopping is not necessary. I plan to wait and watch and see what researchers say about these 'outbreaks' with no connection to China. Meanwhile my friend pointed out that Chinese nationals are smuggled around the world in container ships. She looked up cases online and found a couple of terrible tragedies in England caused by this practice. (In my part of the U.S. human smuggling would more likely be trucks filled with Mexicans.) As she pointed out, Seattle, Washington as well as deep water ports in California could be a point of entry for Chinese immigrants.

BTW, at least around here, Corona beer is made in Mexico.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                              We've just had our first confirmed fatality from the virus over here, a man from Perth who was one of those unfortunate enough to be on the Diamond Princess cruise ship.

I do echo the sentiments of others here though that the fatal impact from the virus has been wildly overstated. I read an article yesterday about how sales of Corona beer have plummeted since the outbreak of the virus. Insane.

Cheers,
                              Adam.
                              Switched to Grolsch. Much Better. So far NTR!. Why contaminate good beer with citrus.
                              Cheers,
                              Merv
                              Be nice to one another!
                              Merv

Comment

There is a virus which has so far remained unmentioned. It affects only policemen, and the spreader is believed to be a man called Brown. Barely a week goes by without this man retiring several members of the constabulary.

Comment

Working...
                                X