New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
    And that's basically what I was alluding to. That a lack of sunlight makes everyone, that is every skin colour, difficient in vitamin D, not just dark skinned people.
    Hi Jon,

But dark skin is what protects people from the sun, so while it can absorb enough vitamin D from the harsh sunlight in a naturally hot climate, it is effectively 'protected' from absorbing enough in a cold climate. Fairer skins are not as well protected from sun damage, but the upside is that they also absorb vitamin D more readily from the same amount of sunlight. It's a matter of degree.

Love,

Caz
    X
    I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
      And that's basically what I was alluding to. That a lack of sunlight makes everyone, that is every skin colour, difficient in vitamin D, not just dark skinned people.
      Dark skinned people are at an obvious disadvantage because the melanin that creates dark skin protects against tropical sun so good luck getting Vitamin D in northern areas. On the other hand, northern Native Americans had/have darker skins. If evolution favored pale skins, say in Scandinavia, why did not the same evolution favor pale Eskimos? Good question. Both populations obtain Vitamin D from fish sources.

And what of historical times, for instance Tudor England? History says the climate was cool and people wore layers of clothing reminiscent of layering blankets and quilts on a bed. How did any of them get enough Vitamin D from the sun? Does that account for the short life spans and terrible illnesses? What if Henry VIII had gotten Vitamin D supplements, might the ulcers on his legs have healed?

That is too simplistic since heavy clothing, especially for women, continued into the last century.

What about the poor people we study in JtR's neighborhood? It has been said there was dense smog over London, people wore lots of clothes and the poor especially were unlikely to get the foods that add Vitamin D to the diet. Or did eating fish help compensate?
      The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• That is an interesting article, Chris. Until now medicine has looked at viral illnesses as something we have to live with. As I have bitterly commented, those who do not fully recover are ignored. COVID is making doctors and researchers pay attention to what patients report.

On the Medlife Crisis channel, the supposed cardiac damage caused by COVID was discussed. Bottom line is, nobody knows what changes or damage might follow regular flu since there have been no studies.

Between viruses and immune systems, all sorts of things happen to some people. IMO it will be found that viral illnesses cause a lot of chronic diseases. Until recently it was assumed people just got over the 'common' ________, fill in the virus or illness. Some do not and medicine has worked very hard to marginalize, ignore and cover up the problems some experience. Maybe it is a high number that experience long term effects from 'common' viruses.

There have been various outbreaks of illness in the U.S. and Europe for a number of years, which led to long term disability. One of the major outbreaks of this happened in a U.S. tourist spot so it was quickly hushed up. Science has missed many opportunities to study freak outbreaks like this. Perhaps science has missed novel corona viruses in the past and if someone had paid attention perhaps we would be ahead now when COVID is infecting the world. In my opinion.

Comment

• Official word today that the R number in the UK has risen above 1, meaning that the number of cases is rising.

Good to know that our government's advisers are so eagle-eyed and quick to react.

Comment

• On a more cheerful note, AstraZeneca has announced that its vaccine trial is resuming in the UK. Presumably separate regulatory decisions are awaited in other countries.

And here's an interesting statistic - in a study of the success rates of clinical trials for 2000-2015, it was found that for all trials of vaccines for infectious diseases, the percentage of Phase III trials that went on to be approved for use was 85%. Apparently there are currently nine coronavirus vaccines in Phase III trials, which suggests that the prospects of several being successful should be quite good:
            https://www.researchgate.net/publica...parameters.pdf

Comment

• In other good news, it looks like something I wondered about may be true. How sick a person gets from these terrible viruses has to do with viral load. Inhale a million viruses, get real sick. Inhale a few thousand or so and maybe not feel sick. Masks decrease viral load but do not block all of the viruses and now UK researchers seem to believe small doses over time will aid immunity, perhaps even help with herd immunity.

Bad news is the western part of Oregon is burning up and easterly winds have blown all the smoke to the eastern border area. (I am at my office in Oregon but will return south to Idaho later today.) I have less than one mile visibility at this time. The smoke came in heavy and thick at dark last night and it smells like a forest is burning rather than the grass and sagebrush we usually have.

A big fire is at the suburbs of Portland, Oregon and those suburbs have been or are being evacuated. People are going to shelters or camping in parking lots. Oregon governor's instructions are something like, don't forget your masks and remember social distancing when you evacuate. I don't think anyone knows how all this will affect the virus or how such severe smoke--much of the west has 'dangerous' smoke levels--might make people more susceptible to the virus.

It is really horrible right now and my dogs don't want to go out to do their business. This is about the worst forest fire smoke I have ever seen. I don't want another night like last night!

Comment

• The Branch Covidians

https://youtu.be/EYhguQeX2xQ
                Best Wishes,
                Cris Malone

Comment

• Sure enough, experts are saying the terrible smoke we have in the west will make corona virus infections worse. I retreated to my wildlife refuge on the river where visibility is about one mile. Where I was was like being in a house with a wood stove and a malfunctioning chimney.

The smoke is staying with no breeze to move it along. Supposedly tonight there might be rain. The smoke here in Idaho is from about 300 miles away in western Oregon.

Oregon is said to have the most polluted air in the world right now, worse than Dehli on a bad day. This border area is usually very windy but it has been completely still for days. The smoke hangs in and nothing stirs. At least in my corner of Idaho the air is merely 'unhealthy' rather than dangerous.

Thankfully my home is safe; my fields are flooded by irrigation and my property line ends in a big river.

Comment

• Waiting Socially Distanced to Enter Attman's Deli, E. Lombard Street, Baltimore, MD, during the COVID-19 Pandemic, September 11, 2020

This photograph of mine is one of five pandemic-related photos that I submitted to a Library of Congress collection of such photos on Flickr, "COVID-19: American Experiences." To see more photos in the group to https://www.flickr.com/groups/covid1...anexperiences/
                    Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• More on COVID-19 from my friend Roy McWalters who I mentioned is older than me, ca. age 75, and caught the virus early on.

Dear Chris

I spent about 30 min with a guy who thinks he got the virus before Christmas and suspected it took possibly four weeks to become evident. What he said was really interesting. Ended up in A&E 10 times being taken by ambulance under blue light situations. Blood pressure 200 top line blood pressure up and down, was given tablets to reduce the bp then nearly passed out due to massive drop in bp, extreme chest pain, etc. Fatigue and sweats unable to work, confused and with body pain. Heart pain with palpitations. He is 45 years old and extremely fit. He is only just getting over the virus but thinks he has some way yet before he is fully recovered. Did test positive for antibodies. The virus certainly can cause many problems with multiple symptoms.

This actually has given me some hope as he has come through a difficult time and is recovering. I have very similar symptoms in every way, at the moment I am on beta blockers to keep my bp and palpitations under control and the irregular heart beats.

It varies from day to day sometimes hourly, I suspect it is not uncommon but being more noticeable in the older generation. I would value your thoughts.

Regards

Roy
                      Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• I spent about 30 min with a guy who thinks he got the virus before Christmas and suspected it took possibly four weeks to become evident.

This is similar to what Anna Morris has been stating for a while now....the right time frame.
                        It's also the same time ( January) that I caught 'something' that kicked my ass for two days and then disappeared.
                        When this thread started back in February, there were 15 reported cases of the virus in the U.S.
                        To Join JTR Forums :
                        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                          More on COVID-19 from my friend Roy McWalters who I mentioned is older than me, ca. age 75, and caught the virus early on.

Dear Chris

I spent about 30 min with a guy who thinks he got the virus before Christmas and suspected it took possibly four weeks to become evident. What he said was really interesting. Ended up in A&E 10 times being taken by ambulance under blue light situations. Blood pressure 200 top line blood pressure up and down, was given tablets to reduce the bp then nearly passed out due to massive drop in bp, extreme chest pain, etc. Fatigue and sweats unable to work, confused and with body pain. Heart pain with palpitations. He is 45 years old and extremely fit. He is only just getting over the virus but thinks he has some way yet before he is fully recovered. Did test positive for antibodies. The virus certainly can cause many problems with multiple symptoms.

This actually has given me some hope as he has come through a difficult time and is recovering. I have very similar symptoms in every way, at the moment I am on beta blockers to keep my bp and palpitations under control and the irregular heart beats.

It varies from day to day sometimes hourly, I suspect it is not uncommon but being more noticeable in the older generation. I would value your thoughts.

Regards

Roy

These don't sound like the recognised symptoms of COVID-19 to me. The trouble with antibody testing is that it doesn't tell you when you had the virus - it could have been almost any time this year, and apparently most cases are asymptomatic.

Comment

• I am fortunate that the area I live in has a low infection rate. So has Southend which is only twelve miles away which is even more surprising as it was packed with day trippers during the very hot weather last month. The same applies to other holiday areas such as Blackpool, the Norfolk Broads and the Lake District.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
                              More on COVID-19 from my friend Roy McWalters who I mentioned is older than me, ca. age 75, and caught the virus early on.

Dear Chris

Regards

Roy
                              These symptoms sound like something that went through my area in 2017. It was SO painful!

Like I have said repeatedly, we have had outbreaks of 'virus' like this in '17, '18', '19. In late '19 my household had something which caused profound loss of smell and taste. I of course had neurological problems though I was mildly ill. Everyone, including me, got through the illness symptoms fairly quickly, in about 7 days.

Doctor John Campbell on his latest video today, opined that perhaps the low morbidity and mortality rates in Kenya may be because other corona viruses have gone through in previous years. He suggested a cross immunity.

I purposely obfuscate some of my locations. Where I have gotten infected with the worst of these past viruses is in an Oregon location which, despite being rural and small, has some international travel. There is more international travel there than in my Idaho location. I know I was exposed to COVID, later diagnosed, in this location. Someone I know had returned from Portugal in December. This exposure was after I had whatever it was in Dec./Jan.

When COVID was acknowledged in the U.S. I self-quarantined when I had to go to that location, reasoning that some residents had likely gone to Asia for Christmas break.

There is discussion about whether or not 'China Flu' is racist. I say it is not since it names a country. Further, with this virus, W.H.O. decided to stop naming viruses for locations as they had done until now. i.e. Ebola virus, etc. I think 'China Virus' for SARSCoV-2 is dangerously misleading since I believe the virus has been percolating through the human population for awhile. If we mentally think Chinese virus, we are less likely to see the broader picture. In the end we may find this thing did not start in China. Or that though the latest outbreak started in China, this round came into China from somewhere else. Maybe the virus originated in China, or not. Open minds are necessary.

A huge positive that will come out of this disastrous pandemic is that, doctors will no longer sweep under the rug, these terrible viral outbreaks which sicken many for months and have permanent effects on some.

We still have terrible wildfire smoke which is so bad, and has been around so long, that experts fear it will affect severity of COVID infections. My nature reserve area is hanging in as 'unhealthy'. For some blessed reason, this area on a bend in the river has the only semi-decent air in the Pacific Northwest. Where I need to go today has dropped from the worst rating possible to 'dangerous' or something. Until now this other location had the worst possible rating. When I left there on Saturday, it was like sticking your head in a chimney to breathe. Rains are supposed to come, maybe. I have a huge windbreak around my Idaho fields and not one leaf has stirred in a breeze for several days. If there is any movement in a tree, a squirrel is doing it. Real creepy and peculiar since this border area always has wind, many times high winds. In my frequent travels I always hope for a tail wind. Most times there is a strong wind one direction or another. Not now, so the smoke hangs in and does not disperse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                                There is discussion about whether or not 'China Flu' is racist. I say it is not since it names a country. Further, with this virus, W.H.O. decided to stop naming viruses for locations as they had done until now. i.e. Ebola virus, etc.
                                'China flu' is a complete misnomer anyway. It didn't start in China, that is only where it first impacted, its still uncertain where it started or even when. Neither is it influenza, its a completely different type of virus. In fact it is the same type of virus as the common cold which makes it even harder to treat.

Comment

Working...
                                X