New Deadly Virus is Spreading/ Covid19 Pandemic 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Phillip Walton View Post
    'China flu' is a complete misnomer anyway. It didn't start in China, that is only where it first impacted, its still uncertain where it started or even when. Neither is it influenza, its a completely different type of virus. In fact it is the same type of virus as the common cold which makes it even harder to treat.
    I should have said 'China Virus'. Flu was indeed a mistake. Thanks for the correction.

You are saying what I am saying. We have no idea where this thing started and naming China shuts down the thinking processes. Considering some of the horrible outbreaks in my area over the past years, maybe we'll find the virus originated here in the western U.S. If they want to name it for my river then we can have the 'Snake Virus' and that ought to terrify everyone!
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

• Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
      https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
      Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

• COVID-19 Rules in the Welsh Language

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
        https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris G. View Post
          COVID-19 Rules in the Welsh Language

I think that poster and others like it are put out by an international company. Dr. John Campbell spoke about this in a recent video. He said these posters are very durable, almost like printed on canvas. They all contain informative material in various languages and suited to various cultures globally. He said they do a lot of good. That is an interesting story in itself.

Comment

• At least this crisis is also producing some humour.

According to the Sun, Boris Johnson's advice is that if people see a meeting of more than six people, contrary to the rules, the first thing you should do is go and talk to them ...

Comment

COVID-19 Rules in the Welsh Language

Welsh advice at last, which is just as well, because it seems I've been getting it slightly wrong. Sure, I wear a mask, but I've been keeping my hands 2m apart and washing people as I walk past them.
              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                Welsh advice at last, which is just as well, because it seems I've been getting it slightly wrong. Sure, I wear a mask, but I've been keeping my hands 2m apart and washing people as I walk past them.

For non Welsh speakers, perhaps you can clarify how the incontinence pants fit in?

Comment

• Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post

You are saying what I am saying. We have no idea where this thing started and naming China shuts down the thinking processes. Considering some of the horrible outbreaks in my area over the past years, maybe we'll find the virus originated here in the western U.S. If they want to name it for my river then we can have the 'Snake Virus' and that ought to terrify everyone!

There was a documentary on earlier in the year where it was explained the Spanish Flu was actually the American Flu, it began in the states and was transported to Europe by the US military in WWI.
                  So who knows, there may be a common source after all.
                  Regards, Jon S.
                  "
                  The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                  " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                  Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

• Boris Johnson and the Lockdown. . . Financial Times cartoon.

Comment

• I received the following email from my childhood friend Roy McWalters, now aged 74, who lives in the Southport area and who, as I mentioned earlier, caught the virus early on from neighbors who had returned from Spain and is still feeling the after effects of the ordeal these many months later. He is currently being treated for heart arrhythmia, i.e., an irregular heartbeat, brought on by his bout with COVID-19.

Dear Chris

I have had to really try hard to get this problem sorted by the NHS but appear to have some movement now. On the correct medication I hope and feeling better. I am totally convinced the virus played a part in this. I have spoken to a number of people who have had the virus and have lingering problems, all very hard to pin down. I read an article saying 1 in 5 have some type of after effects. It is evident that age is a major factor in symptoms and recovery, and it is literally a throw of the dice to see how you survive.

I will be 75 in December -- where has the time gone?

The last 8 months have been difficult and it is unlikely to change quickly until we get a vaccine. But this may become the second flu, being with us forever in some form or another.

Chris, you have been very wise to lose the amount of weight you have, I need to lose a bit. Ironically, I had just rejoined the gym when I started with the virus. I will have to wait until I have had the treatment before I can go back to the gym. You most probably know what the treatment is, basically stopping your heart and restarting it in the correct rhythm. They really check your general health and your pipe work before they potentially kill you -- interesting!

Regards

Roy

Comment

Boris Johnson and the Lockdown. . . Financial Times cartoon.

Judging by this morning's news about imminent national restrictions in the UK, maybe it should be like this:

Comment

• I don't know what everybody's fussing about...Grouse shooting is fine and Polo's on the list of acceptable sports...

If a lightweight like Milliband can savage the PM as he did, it doesn't say much about the current crop of chinless wonders does it?

I have to say though I did enjoy Angela Rayner's delightful throwaway line that “The next time a man with Covid symptoms drives from London to Durham it will probably be for the nearest Covid test"...If Boris had restored some of the funding he and his colleagues have been stealing from the NHS, instead of throwing money at the shining sexy untested private enterprise failures, we might indeed have a world class testing and tracing system. Yesterday the testing station on the former RAF Airfield at Tangmere had a queue of one car awaiting...in the meantime a potential patient from Newcastle gets offered an appointment on the Isle of Wight, whilst someone on the South Coast gets offered one in Cardiff...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post
                            For non Welsh speakers, perhaps you can clarify how the incontinence pants fit in?
                            Incontinence pants are popular in Wales; they're good for keeping leeks in.

... or was that "leaks"?
                            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

• I received a letter the other day asking if I would like to take part in a Covid-19 antibody test. I decided not too as I have had no signs of the disease.

Comment

• Originally posted by Wicker Man View Post
                                There was a documentary on earlier in the year where it was explained the Spanish Flu was actually the American Flu, it began in the states and was transported to Europe by the US military in WWI.
                                So who knows, there may be a common source after all.
                                One theory is that a Kansas farm boy who was drafted, took the disease to overcrowded and under-equipped Camp Funston. Of course that young man was put to work in the kitchens.

The bigger theory is that there was a small deadly outbreak in a small--less than 100 people--rural area. Influenza thrives and rearranges itself in the guts of birds such as waterfowl which migrate. Then it is theorized that migratory birds and pigs interacted and a swine flu jumped into the small, human population.

Lots of people ask, "Why China?", since a lot of terrible illnesses like the original SARS seem to start there. One answer is the extreme population. If something contagious erupts there it can easily spread to a lot of people.

Back to the 1918 flu, what IF it did start with a Kansas farm boy who had pigs on his farm? How many deadly diseases throughout history have started and stopped in small, underpopulated regions?

What about the English Sweat in Tudor times that was said to only infect English people? I don't quite accept the modern idea this was a rodent vectored Hanta virus because old records seem to show it was extremely contagious person to person.

It is also said the Old World had the deadly plagues and diseases because of animal domestication. There were very few domesticable animals in the New World.

As I have said many times, my general area has been hit repeatedly with damaging outbreaks of supposed viral illness. Death rates in nursing homes go up but this is written off as "expected". If a virus doesn't get them, something else will.

If one researches similar outbreaks, there is a list on Wikipedia for starters, going back about 70 years. These outbreaks happened in smaller areas and were quickly silenced for a variety of reasons, including preserving tourism in the Lake Tahoe region of California/Nevada.

If researchers had paid attention, perhaps it would be known that dangerous viruses have emerged in the U.S. One outbreak in 1994 was especially severe and affected a lot of people, some of whom were permanently damaged. I didn't have internet and social media was barely, if at all, invented. I wrote letters to the CDC and got no replies. The schmuck I addressed in the letters was busy in Africa or somewhere, checking out Ebola or something. Then he came back to lament the high rates of tobacco smoking in Kentucky. Nobody gives a damn about these horrible diseases but world attention on COVID is forcing them to pay attention!

Comment

Working...
                                X