Despondency: A Double Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Despondency: A Double Event

A touching example of how the crimes affected Londoners in a way we overlook at times.

North-eastern Daily Gazette
    January 8, 1889
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

A new find, Howie. Very good. But sad.

Roy

Edit. Not a new find. But still a good one How.

Was shared by several folks here ...

http://forum.casebook.org/showthread.php?t=1683

Comment

We don't realise the knock on effects to 'outsiders'. There was another lady, earlier in the the series of murders, who was also reported to have committed suicide after reading about the the murder(s).
      Dave
      "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Indeed there was Dave...and I believe there were one or two more instances of people mentioned in the papers reacting in the way the couple on Hanbury Street did.
        There may have been numerous cases such as this that weren't mentioned in the tabloids.
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

as it was

Hello Howard, all,

This sad story is a reminder that, as Dave says, the Whitechapel crimes had, as far reaching effects. More than many of us realise infact.
          From personal family knowledge, I know of women who never went out again after dark in the early/late evenings, for the rest of their lives. The amount of sheer fear caused by these murders, the newspaper write-ups and the everyday effect of oral panic spread by the people within this community themselves, amounted to some life-changing decisions for some.

best wishes

Phil
          from 1905...to 19.05..it was written in the stars

Comment

Hi all,

I have a close relationship with the knock on effect in situations like this. As you can tell from my address, I come from Ripper country.

In Halifax in the late 70's, there was a lot of paranoia during Sutcliffe's rampage, as you can probably imagine.

Josephine Whitaker, the young girl he killed in 1979, was a school friend of my ex-wife. Josephine was the year ahead of my ex, they weren't close friends, but knew each other at school, the one she was killed close to, ironically.

It's still difficult to explain the paranoia that was endemic at the time, especially as this wasn't the first time he had been active in Halifax.

There might not have been suicides at this time, that we know of, but there were a hell of a lot of frightened people, male and female.

We try to imagine what it was like in Whitechapel in 1888, you should have been in Leeds, Bradford, Huddersfield, Halifax at this time.
            Dave
            "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Working...
            X