Man Who Wasn't JTR Dies In Stone Asylum--1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Walter Watson

Here's another case of a mentally ill man deeply affected by the murders.
    The January 1889 orders of removal to an asylum of Walter Watson a single labourer aged 32 of 61 St Thomas Rd Mile End :

My transcript: He is in a state of acute mania, raving wildly and talking incoherently,he declares he knows "Jack the Ripper" the detecives are watching him & he is watching them; that he can see blood all about and that someone like Colonel Baker with whiskers off is up in the corner of the room.

Edward Good lunatic attendant the workhouse Bancroft Rd Mile End E says he is very violent and has to be strapped down to the bed and fed by stomach pump; the functions act involuntarily, he raves about "jack the Ripper" & has no sleep whatsoever.

Comment

Another excellent find, Debs ! Thanks a lot !
      XXXXXXXXX

Just in case readers 'give up' trying to decipher this find of Debs....at one point it says "the detectives are watching him".....

This find might have legs, Debs...superb find !
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

The second paragraph of the second page :

He is in a state of acute mania, raving wildly, and talking --- ------- he declares he knows (?) 'Jack the Ripper", the detectives are watching him and he is watching them, that he can see blood all about and that someone like Colonel Baker (?) with his whiskers off is up in the corner of the room.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bottom of second page :

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
            Another excellent find, Debs ! Thanks a lot !
            XXXXXXXXX

Just in case readers 'give up' trying to decipher this find of Debs....at one point it says "the detectives are watching him".....

This find might have legs, Debs...superb find !
            Thanks,How. Notice his 'attack' dates back 6 months too?
            I transcribed the text in bold in my post btw

Comment

Thank you Debs...I overlooked the transcription in the first post !
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Walter Watson

Hi Debs my apologies, I posted about this chap not too long ago but didn't realize you had already found him 4 years ago.
                I found a record of him ? being done for rape or something like that when he was younger. The age is a bit out though... He was born in 1849 son of Edward and Bridget in Hackney. This article was in 1866. In 1889 he would have been 39 not 32 as shown in the 1889 record.

see news article
                Pat.....
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post
                  Hi Debs my apologies, I posted about this chap not too long ago but didn't realize you had already found him 4 years ago.
                  I found a record of him ? being done for rape or something like that when he was younger. The age is a bit out though... He was born in 1849 son of Edward and Bridget in Hackney. This article was in 1866. In 1889 he would have been 39 not 32 as shown in the 1889 record.

see news article
                  Pat.....
                  Hi Pat, no problem, there are bound to be repeats. Thanks for the newspaper clip.

Comment

I linked to this thread yesterday from a Casebook thread on Kosminski because R J Palmer was asking who might be the person discussed in a newspaper clip dated 1890:

The Whitechapel Murders
                    Supposed Fresh Clue

The Dublin Express London correspondent says:- A patient recently admitted into a London infirmary and removed after a few weeks to an asylum. The man, who came from the East End, dropped some remarks about the Whitechapel murders, which have led to enquiry,and a detective has been in the asylum constantly since, of course disguised as another patient. The police are trying to discover whether the man really knows anything about the crimes, or is merely suffering under delusions. It is said he has disclosed
                    facts not previously known.

February 14, 1890 Birmingham News UK

I remembered this thread and the couple of cases I'd noted and my original opening question in 2011-
                    "I wonder if lunatics who went about protesting 'they weren't JTR' in public were investiagted too?!"

Apart from the two cases I mentioned here, I also posted details of another case (on another misplaced thread!) where a patient claimed to have inside knowledge of how the murders were committed. He claimed JTR was a mesmerist.

I'm sure police would have been called in to to check out these men in asylums raving about JTR. The newspaper report is not specific on the date. I am sure there were several other cases of this kind of thing too.

Comment

Debs, maybe people - even Kosminski? - were influenced by Cumberland's antics.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...mirror&f=false

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Debs, maybe people - even Kosminski? - were influenced by Cumberland's antics.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...mirror&f=false
                        Could be, Robert. The man who saw the murders through the eyes of a mesmerist especially.

Comment

Originally posted by Pat Marshall View Post

see news article
                          Pat.....
                          Pat, I went back and checked Walter Watson's notes again and his mother's name is given as Mary Watson of 61 St Thomas's Road, Mile End.

Comment

Thanks Debs so not the rapist then....
                            Pat....

Comment

Wasn't there a German who tried to jump in Regents canal and said he was Jack the Ripper. I think a christian vicar spoke up for him?

I think his name was Theophile Handhardt or something along those lines.

Pat....

Comment

Working...
                              X