Man Who Wasn't JTR Dies In Stone Asylum--1889

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man Who Wasn't JTR Dies In Stone Asylum--1889

I wonder if lunatics who went about protesting 'they weren't JTR' in public were investiagted too?!
    This is from the record of Edward Wood at Stone asylum. Edward died 3 weeks after being admitted to the asylum in 1889, after receiving a blow from another patient that ruptured his bladder.

I'm not attaching any importance to this, just found it interesting and thought I'd post it, in fact, I have a vague memory that something like this has been posted before, so apologies if it has.

Click image for larger version

Name:	edward wood.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	562994

I saw something vaguely similar to this a few years back at the LMA.

This was in the Lunatic Reception Orders in the Bromley District. The book was called "Orders for Reception of Pauper Patients", 3/6/1886 - 17/6/1889.

Thomas Murray. Admitted June 8, 1889. Age 30. Single. No occupation, previously: "Bottler". Residence: 11 Burdett St, Devons Rd E. Supposed cause: Sexual and alcoholic excesses. Duration of existing attack: 3 months. Dangerous to others? Yes.

Facts indicating insanity observed by myself: "He is very suspicious and says he hears voices when alone. Says his neighbors call him "Jack the Ripper" and ask is he not dead yet. Says if he were a scholar he would send them writing to where the voices come from asking him to stop (as a matter of fact his neighbors do not annoy him. nor does anyone call him names)"

Other Facts (if any) indicating Insanity communicated to me by others: "His sister Ann Murray states that he is dangerous to live with as he has repeatedly threatened to kill and strike her mother and self. He throws the furniture about, believing that people are calling him names. He rushes into the street occasionally and threatens violence to children passing by, thinking that they have been calling him Jack the Ripper."

Rob H

Comment

Hey Debra,

Do you have any more info on this guy? Like when exactly he was admitted? Or the details from his asylum records?

Rob

PS. Hmm... Ed Wood.... Johnny Depp. The plot thickens.

Comment

Thanks,Rob,
        The one you posted is probably the one I remembered seeing before.

This record is from City of London Orders of removal, Lunatic admissions 1889-1890

There are no detailed patient records in these files, just a summary and the rest deals with settlement and transfer of lunatics to and from certain asylums, costings etc. There are a couple of criminal lunatics included and details about their tranfer from prison to asylums.

Anyway, here's brief details of Edward Woods:

Order for Admission to the City of London Asylum, Stone
        Edward woods aged 49

admitted 24th Sep 1889
        death in asylum 6th October 1889

Has had previous attacks, age at first attack-33
        Was in peckham House Asylum in 1873, Surry Asylum in 1874 and Norwhich Asylum in 1875.

preious occupation-miller
        Supposed cause[of insanity]-want of employment
        epilepsy-no
        suicidal-no
        dangerous to others-no

wife Phoebe Woods-27 Britannia Street Grays Inn Road

other facts-very restless at times, requiring watching to prevent him running wildly about the ward. Calling out incoherently. He disturbs the other patients during the night by his restlessness and noise.
        [as an extra to the above details I posted the image of]

Rest of file covers the circumstances of his death, details about the post mortem , a press report on his death and correspondence from asylum authorities to his wife that were returned unanswered (including a free train ticket sent to her so she could visit the asylum.)

I also came across the details of a patient, also admitted in 89 from the City area who claimed he had been hypnotised by a mesmerist and had seen the bodies of nine people, killed by Jack the Ripper.

Seems that JTR was preying on the minds of a few vulnerable people even in 89.

Comment

Nice work Debs and thanks for the additional info,Rob.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

Fascinating stuff, Debs and Rob.
            I think this also raises the question of how many men have been/were falsely suspected of being the killer simply because somebody with a personal vendetta against them for whatever reason, or simply somebody looking to stir up trouble, decided to publicly call them JTR.

Cheers,
            Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
              Fascinating stuff, Debs and Rob.
              I think this also raises the question of how many men have been/were falsely suspected of being the killer simply because somebody with a personal vendetta against them for whatever reason, or simply somebody looking to stir up trouble, decided to publicly call them JTR.

Cheers,
              Adam.
              Hi Adam, Debs and Rob

Yes I believe this reflects on the whole Jack the Ripper phenomenon. There were the actual murders and the investigation, but there was also the effect that the murders had in society. In terms of men falsely accused, people thinking they had seen Jack the Ripper, and madmen thinking they were Jack the Ripper, as in the cases reported here.

A few days ago, I received a communication from a local history contact in Liverpool about a story about a lady who had claimed to have seen Jack the Ripper while she was a child living in London. He contacted me to see if I could throw any light on the query sent to a local historical society by the lady's grandson who remembered an article having been published in a local newspaper on her story. He was trying to locate a copy.

I wrote back to say that possibly she had seen Deeming or Neill Cream who had both been in England and had been said to have been the Ripper. But thinking about it, there were many sightings of suspicious men in London and elsewhere. For example, maybe she saw a man carrying a black bag and became frightened or suspicious. So her story was by no means unusual or rare.

All the best

Chris
              Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
              https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
              Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

Chris:

Yes, exactly. A young child in 1888 would have learnt to be suspicious of just about everybody, especially if they happened to be carrying a bag or were walking past with blood stains on their clothes.

That's not unique to the JTR case by any means, there's numerous instances throughout history of somebody starting something close to a lynch mob simply by saying "There's the criminal!". Rhynwick Williams had it in the time of the London Monster stabbings in London, just to name one. And of course our very own Jack Pizer in the JTR case.

Cheers,
                Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post
                  Chris:

Yes, exactly. A young child in 1888 would have learnt to be suspicious of just about everybody, especially if they happened to be carrying a bag or were walking past with blood stains on their clothes.

That's not unique to the JTR case by any means, there's numerous instances throughout history of somebody starting something close to a lynch mob simply by saying "There's the criminal!". Rhynwick Williams had it in the time of the London Monster stabbings in London, just to name one. And of course our very own Jack Pizer in the JTR case.

Cheers,
                  Adam.
                  Thanks, Adam.

Chris
                  https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.

Comment

Chris:

Salem witch trials as well, if you want to delve even further into the history books. A group of young girls calling somebody they didn't like a "witch" was enough to have them burnt. Or the heretics....or even in more modern times, calling somebody a Jew in Nazi-occupied Europe, whether they were or not. The list could go on and on! But this is a bit off topic...

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Thanks Adam and Chris,

There definitely wasn't a shortage of men confessing they were JTR, usually whilst under the influence.
                      These others are quite sad cases aren't they? Where others probably planted the idea in the minds of someone vulnerable, through taunting or whatever. Or that person just becoming obsessed enough with the killings (fed by the newspapers etc.) to just think that people suspected him of being the murderer.

Comment

AW:

FYI, they didn't burn suspected witches back in Salem. They hung them. I'm an old guy. I was there. It were awful.

Debs:

The murder skein kicked up a ton of dust over the next decade or so, didn't it ? Quite a few men who threatened their wives/ladyfriends with "doing them in like Jack The Ripper" as well as these men whose already shaky mental frames of mind were unhinged.
                        I also look for these cases while trawling the papers.
                        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                          Thanks Adam and Chris,

There definitely wasn't a shortage of men confessing they were JTR, usually whilst under the influence.
                          These others are quite sad cases aren't they? Where others probably planted the idea in the minds of someone vulnerable, through taunting or whatever. Or that person just becoming obsessed enough with the killings (fed by the newspapers etc.) to just think that people suspected him of being the murderer.
                          Hi Debs and Howard

I would think that it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the chalk inscriptions at William Bury's house in Dundee accusing him of being Jack the Ripper might have been enough to turn his mind and lead him to killing his wife in a Ripper-like manner.

According to the Dundee Courier of Tuesday, 12 February 1889,

"The back premises are led to by a dirty stair, at the foot of which on an old door is the following written in chalk – 'Jack the Ripper is at the back of this door.' At the back of this door, and just at the turn of the stair, there is the inscription – 'Jack the Ripper is in this seller [sic]."

Chris

Comment

Good point,C.G.
                            We encounter men like the one Debs found and Rob mentioned "thinking" they were being followed by the Ripper or were the Ripper and put in an asylum....men who threatened women with violence, a la Ripper.....and then critters like Bury, who as you say CG, might have been inspired by the events in London.
                            I would give Nina's right arm to be able to see those coroner's reports of contemporary murders committed ( usually on the Continent ) in which comparisons to Whitechapel murders were made...to see if there was, as claimed in the press, similarity to the WM in regard to mutilation.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How:

Really? Wow, my bad. I have been caught falling into the trap of believing what I see on TV....

(As a point of interest, I watched a docco once about a witch trial which happened in England as late as 1944 (!)....fascinating, if not ludicrous stuff.)

Debs:

Well it certainly gave the unknown, "little" man the chance to big note himself and have his 15 minutes of fame, even if it meant getting lynched or locked up in the process.....

Cheers,
                              Adam.

Comment

Working...
                              X