No announcement yet.

Jack As Advertising Gimmick

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another gimmick, this time from Britain...

Atchison Daily Champion
    Tuesday, January 29, 1889

Comment

Down on 8th Street,Philadelphia... Christmas 1888...

The North American
      Philadelphia
      Tuesday, December 25, 1888

Comment

Protect Your Furs...

One third of the way into the 20th Century, the name of the Ripper was being used as it was contemporaneously.

Cleveland Plain Dealer
        June 1st, 1934

Comment

I wonder if they sold astracan trimmed coats.
          Best Wishes,
          Cris Malone

Comment

Using Jack as an advertising gimmick isn't always in bad taste. I'm sure many people who went to the Museum in Docklands exhibition will agree with me that they very much used the Ripper link as a hook to draw in the punters to an exhibition on the Victorian East End, which wouldn't have been very well attended had they not.

Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Jon:

Thanks for pitching in.
              What do you make of the manner in which American firms used the name to sell their goods ?

Comment

Bad taste, but probably can be equated to an early form of slapping the name of the latest popular kids movie on all kind of tat and then flogging it.
                Jon

"It is far more comfortable to point a finger and declare someone a devil, than to call upon your imagination to try to understand their world."

http://www.jlrees.co.uk

Comment

Jon:

I've tried ( no success yet) to find out whether there was any sort of backlash expressed in the "letters to the editor" section of the newspapers..because if there ever was a time for it, it was then.

In these cases...the ones featuring the tailors...they're all some distance away from the East Coast of the US, which had a different regional outlook and way of life than the Western States at that time. I sincerely doubt that ads of that sort would have appeared on the East.

Comment

Here's an East Coast reference....38 years or so,however, after the crimes.

Springfield ( Mass) Republican
                    July 21,1926

Comment

Wisconsin State Journal
                      April 23,1941

Comment

Winnipeg Free Press
                        April 18,1953

Comment

How, we should have taken a leaf from the Americans' book, and stuck a sign up in London reading : "London - Ripper capital of the world."

Comment

Bob:

No question.

However, this one for the Chevy...its a steal, Bob...lemme tell ya... 4 speed on the column... barely been driven except by Grandpa McLaughlin on Sundays to Prairie Church 3 miles each way....clean,dependable, no leaks, new brakes, passed 1951 inspection, tires in good shape, new pitman arm, shocks and struts brand new, gets 12 miles to the gallon,....tell you what...take it out for a ride...and then lets negotiate financing.

Comment

How, no point me doing that, because the levee is dry, and besides, if I take it out, this may be the day that I die.

Comment

Robert: Plus, a purchase like that would leave you with no money for your whiskey and rye.

Cheers,
                                Adam.

Comment

Working...
                                X