Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Adam

Long, long time ago
    I can still remember Howard's captions never made me smile...

Comment

Hi Robert,

Yes, it was the day that the amusement died. Can't remember if I cried, though.

Cheers,
      Adam.

Comment

You have to wonder whether the Ripper bought one of these himself......

New York Herald-Tribune
        February 7, 1889

Comment

This oufit used the same ad ( see below) in 1934.

Cleveland Plain Dealer
          May 10,1933

Comment

Worcester Daily Spy
            June 9,1889

Comment

Hi all,

At the time, not all newspapers were in agreement about using JtR as an advertising gimmick. The first refers to the JtR sugar knife already posted, and the second to a JtR board game.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know anything about the board game?
              Dave
              "From Hull, Hell and Halifax, Good Lord deliver us."

Comment

Dave:

Nice finds..particularly the board game in the PMG.
                I don't know if this means anything, but you'll notice that the majority of ads or sales gimmicks found so far emanated from the US.
                Callousness or perhaps an example of how quickly the trade name became absorbed/accepted into Western society and the advertisers assuming the name would be an inducement to purchase their wares ?

Comment

Hi How,

I think it's the catchy trade name. The newspapers on both sides of the pond were full of the real story, with eye catching straplines, so why not cash in on it? We like reading about horrible events - from a distance - so a JtR heading, even in an advert catches the eye and pulls the reader in.

It would be interesting to see how soon it caught on in Australia, especially as they use Ripper as a superlative anyway!

The board game is interesting, especially the idea of using police and newspapermen. I bet SPE probably has one.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Dave James View Post
                    Hi all,

At the time, not all newspapers were in agreement about using JtR as an advertising gimmick. The first refers to the JtR sugar knife already posted, and the second to a JtR board game.

As a matter of interest, does anyone know anything about the board game?
                    Yes if you are Jack and you get caught you get sent straight to jail.

Christopher T. George, Lyricist & Co-Author, "Jack the Musical"
                    https://www.facebook.com/JackTheMusical/ Hear sample song at https://tinyurl.com/y8h4envx.

Organizer, RipperCon #JacktheRipper-#True Crime Conferences, April 2016 and 2018.
                    Hear RipperCon 2016 & 2018 talks at http://www.casebook.org/podcast/.

Comment

You have to wonder what sort of person could come up with an ad like this....as well as a newspaper that would run the ad...not once, but every other day from September 3rd thru September 17th, 1889.

Frederick (Md.) News
                      Sept. 13, 1889

Jack The Ripper At Work
                      At Point of Rocks on last Saturday evening there was quite an excitement
                      over finding a baby wrapped up in a bag near the Canal with its body ripped.
                      A jury was summoned and after examining the remains the Doctor made a thorough examination
                      and found that there were no poisons in it, but a full Havana cigar, with long filler for 5 cents. Manufactured by Lewis F. Kussmaul.

Comment

1889 seems to be a year in which insensitive advertising was en vogue.

The highlighted segment contained the headline, "Jack The Ripper".

Olean Democrat
                        December 26,1889
                        Jack The Ripper.............

Comment

To avoid highlighting,I've added the trade name to the ad.

Newark ( Ohio) Daily Advocate
                          November 25, 1889

Comment

Hi How,

Just a thought, can you think of any other killer who was used in advertising in this way?
                            Dave

Comment

Dear DJ:

No sir, I cannot. The one which starts off by mentioning the baby and then seguing into a cigar ad is probably the most bizarre of the lot I've seen yet.
                              Its not specifically because of his anonymity, as no other anonymous or media-tagged serial killer has been found to have an ad plugging a product ( Torso Slayer,Texarkana Moonlight Killer,Hillside Strangler,Night Stalker,Boston Strangler,etc....)...as well as known or rather, killers known by their true names.
                              Its one aspect of the overall uniqueness of the Ripper....and one that might be more attributable to the times (LVP) than other areas or aspects in which Jack The Ripper is unique.
                              Good question and thanks for asking, Dave

Comment

For 23 Cents

Not an advertisement, but a mention of a Ripper book for sale in the Fall 1909 Sears & Roebuck Catalog.
                                Major Griffiths is likewise mentioned....

Comment

Working...
                                X