Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

London Hospital basement - Norder finds?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• London Hospital basement - Norder finds?

I was listening to Rippercast, and someone made an offhand comment about Dan Norder digging through the basement of the London Hospital in search of the Lusk-letter kidney. I've searched through old posts, but can't seem to find any mention of this search. Is there a summary posted anywhere? Anyone know where to find an old thread with details? Mostly, I've just very curious.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Originally posted by Justin Clement View Post
    I was listening to Rippercast, and someone made an offhand comment about Dan Norder digging through the basement of the London Hospital in search of the Lusk-letter kidney. I've searched through old posts, but can't seem to find any mention of this search. Is there a summary posted anywhere? Anyone know where to find an old thread with details? Mostly, I've just very curious.

Never heard that before. If he did he wouldn't have found it.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by Justin Clement View Post

Sure it was the kidney Justin, and not Leonard Archers (Lusks Grandson) 1966 letter?

Monty

Comment

I have read somewhere that the kidney was kept in spirits until the 1950s when it was too degraded to be saved. I have no idea of the source. Maybe the source was not good but I have had this in the back of my mind for a long time though I have never seen it mentioned around here.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Rob Clack View Post
          Never heard that before. If he did he wouldn't have found it.

Rob
          Hi Rob,

Me neither.

As we're mostly aware the kidney was, according to Patricia Cornwell, disposed of during the 1950's.

Had the kidney survived beyond the 1950's I imagine it would have been located, examined, and commented on by Professor Francis Camps in his books and articles.

The older parts of the London Hospital have now been cleared out and await refurbishment. However, if Mr Norder did indeed gain access to the hospital's basement it would be interesting to know if he came across anything of interest.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Apparently Dan Norder said in an old Casebook post that he inquired about the kidney at the London Hospital Archives and was told it was destroyed, possibly in the 1970s. He even posted a photo of himself with the archivist at the time. I'll see if I can locate the thread but it might have been lost in the crash.

Monty

Comment

Originally posted by Monty View Post
              Apparently Dan Norder said in an old Casebook post that he inquired about the kidney at the London Hospital Archives and was told it was destroyed, possibly in the 1970s. He even posted a photo of himself with the archivist at the time. I'll see if I can locate the thread but it might have been lost in the crash.

Monty
              Hi Neil,

Thanks for that info.

My best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                Hi Rob,

Me neither.

As we're mostly aware the kidney was, according to Patricia Cornwell, disposed of during the 1950's. Had the kidney survived beyond the 1950's I imagine it would have been located, examined, and commented on by Professor Francis Camps in his books and articles.

The older parts of the London Hospital have now been cleared out and await refurbishment. However, if Mr Norder did indeed gain access to the hospital's basement it would be interesting to know if he came across anything of interest.

Best wishes,

Sean.
                Hi Sean,

I heard it before Cornwall. Might have been from Don Rumbelow?
                I don't think Dan Norder ever went down to the basement. If I remember correctly he came to the London Hospital Museum with me and a few others in 2007. And the museum had a copy of the From Hell letter on display.

All the best

Rob

Comment

Hi Sean,

I heard it before Cornwall. Might have been from Don Rumbelow?
                  I don't think Dan Norder ever went down to the basement. If I remember correctly he came to the London Hospital Museum with me and a few others in 2007. And the museum had a copy of the From Hell letter on display.

All the best

Rob
                  Hi Rob,

Thanks for that.

I recall visiting the London Hospital Museum some years ago. Their collection was housed in the basement of a church at the rear of the hospital, and also contained Frederick Foster's original plans of Mitre Square. A small but very interesting museum.

Best wishes,

Sean.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Crundall View Post
                    Hi Rob,

Thanks for that.

I recall visiting the London Hospital Museum some years ago. Their collection was housed in a church at the rear of the hospital, and also contained Frederick Foster's original plans of Mitre Square. A small but very interesting museum.

Best wishes,

Sean.
                    Hi Sean,

Wonderful place, I have been there a couple of times.

Regards

Rob

Comment

True story

Admissions tutor at London Hospital: When did you decide that you'd like to pursue a career in medicine?
                      My school-mate: I do voluntary work at my local hospital, and I've actually attended a number of autopsies. I find them fascinating.
                      Admissions tutor: Why do you particularly want to study at the London Hospital?
                      My school-mate: I loved the Elephant Man film, and I'd like to see his skeleton.

Needless to say, my mate did not get offered a place to study medicine at the London Hospital medical school.
                      Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                      (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                        Admissions tutor at London Hospital: When did you decide that you'd like to pursue a career in medicine?
                        My school-mate: I do voluntary work at my local hospital, and I've actually attended a number of autopsies. I find them fascinating.
                        Admissions tutor: Why do you particularly want to study at the London Hospital?
                        My school-mate: I loved the Elephant Man film, and I'd like to see his skeleton.

Needless to say, my mate did not get offered a place to study medicine at the London Hospital medical school.
                        When they phoned him to let him know, was it a Trunk call?

Comment

Didn't he try reciting the 23rd psalm as a last desperate throw of the dice?

Comment

When they phoned him to let him know, was it a Trunk call?
                            It was a trunk call Rob and they offered him peanuts for pay, so he refused.

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                              Didn't he try reciting the 23rd psalm as a last desperate throw of the dice?
                              He was - and is - very religious, so it wouldn't surprise me. Footnote: he eventually attended Cardiff Medical School and is now a successful p├Ždiatrician. Happily, he tends to work at the other end of the spectrum from autopsies.
                              Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                              (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Working...
                              X