First Ripper Thread Trial - Walking the streets of 1888 Whitechapel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Ripper Thread Trial - Walking the streets of 1888 Whitechapel

Greetings! One of the most difficult aspects of Ripperology, for me, is comprehending and visualizing the twisted streets, alleys, and tunnels of 1888 Whitechapel. I'm also an avid video gamer, (albeit, an old one), and so I wanted to share two games where one can indeed walk the streets of 19th century Whitechapel and explore safely. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate has the entire map of London, WC included, and a Jack the Ripper DLC which allows you to experience the "autumn of terror". The Sherlock Holmes game ,"The Devil's Daughter" and "vs Jack the Ripper" also offer quite good visuals for those, like me, who need a bit more than the photographs and drawings that are available.

Anyone else have media that allows one to walk the streets of Whitechapel?

Welcome Ginger.....

This link takes you to a run-through of a game entitled, Jack The Ripper, 1901...set in New York, however.

I own a copy and it isn't too bad.

Jack The Ripper (2004) PC - Gameplay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN9ertUPwvY

They're probably inexpensive by now as the game is 17 years old.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Thanks, Howard! I will check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by Ginger Wages View Post
        Greetings! One of the most difficult aspects of Ripperology, for me, is comprehending and visualizing the twisted streets, alleys, and tunnels of 1888 Whitechapel. I'm also an avid video gamer, (albeit, an old one), and so I wanted to share two games where one can indeed walk the streets of 19th century Whitechapel and explore safely. Assassin's Creed: Syndicate has the entire map of London, WC included, and a Jack the Ripper DLC which allows you to experience the "autumn of terror". The Sherlock Holmes game ,"The Devil's Daughter" and "vs Jack the Ripper" also offer quite good visuals for those, like me, who need a bit more than the photographs and drawings that are available.

Anyone else have media that allows one to walk the streets of Whitechapel?
        Hi Ginger.

I did actually spend time watching walkthrough's of the gamepay for that game whilst part of my research. I felt the details were pretty incredible. Those more familiar with the maps of that time might find it interesting. I have posted a video below. I would Ignore the storyline and focus on the scenery. Unless you enjoy time-travelling assassin stories.

Also, Ginger you might want to check out the work of RichardH, who has done some extensive and highly accurate 3D modelling of the crime scenes. https://jtr3d.com

Comment

Could it be any more inaccurate?

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
            Could it be any more inaccurate?
            Well, the story obviously is. But you don't think any of the mapping is realistic to the time?

This might be a better example:

Comment

Actually, that’s quite good.

Comment

This one is over an hour long...

Comment

Working...
                X