X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if?

Hi,

For my first post I would like to ask the following:

What would have happened if The killer hadn’t been interrupted while mutilating
    Ms. Stride, and it was a piece of her clothing left by that anti-Jewish crap on Gaulston Street?

Larry

Hi Larry.

That's a good question. I always wondered if his actions were all originally planned for the first murder, or if he went to his next plan right after the first one was interrupted.

If the Ripper wasn't interrupted and wrote the graffito and/or left Stride's clothing next to the graffito, then I believe there would have been less speculation on a Masonic signature in the murders.

There'd be no apron, as I don't believe Stride was wearing one, and no Mitre Square (yet). Presumably, there would still have been intestines thrown over the shoulder and perhaps some inverted Vs on the face. But the presumption of an irrational act without a signature or calling card would have more easily taken hold.

Wh
    at would have happened if The killer hadn’t been interrupted while mutilating
    Ms. Stride, and it was a piece of her clothing left by that anti-Jewish crap on Gaulston Street?
    Something else that’s lost in all the GSG debates is that we’re not talking about your average Graffito. We’re talking about anti-Semitic Graffito. It wasn’t all over the place.

So we have an initial murder next to The Jewish Working Men’s Club and we have the clothing of the second victim on the other side of Whitechapel under some anti-Semitic Graffito. A hole in one from Berner St to Goulston is more believable to me. So I think the GSG was planned for Stride. It doesn’t fit so well for Eddowes.

Comment

"What would have happened"?

Chances are, the so-called Goulston street Graffiti would have been written somewhere else, assuming as some do that he wrote that on his way home.
      He wouldn't have passed Goulston street from Berner street, but for me, the graffiti wasn't written by the killer so it would still have been there, just no-one would have heard of it.

Did you ever wonder what happened to Chapman's scarf?
      Before the murder she was wearing one, after the murder - gone!, along with her uterus.
      That scarf might have been found on some street and not turned in.
      Regards, Jon S.
      "
      The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
      " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
      Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

Comment

The thing with studying any of these murders is that in the end, you have to take some leaps. There is simply not enough good quality data from the time we can rely on.

Some people will say that the apron by the graffiti is purely circumstantial. Some will say Stride was not a victim of JtR because she was not mutilated. Her body was found in the most exposed location of all the C5, and the manner in which her throat was slit is consistent with all other victims. So, I disagree with the above.

I cannot see how such graffiti can be so inflammatory, perhaps you could explain to me the exact nature of the message? The same message that was printed in the papers the following days? A handful of people passing Goulston Street is not the same as the whole of London, and indeed the whole country, seeing the same message. No riots took place.

JtR never left clues before this one, so why now? To draw attention to the rather small written message in chalk is why. It may be cryptic, but perhaps he was concerned the Jews would get the credit for Stride. His last murder was credited to Leather Apron after all. I could see his concern.

Thanks to Sir Charles Warren we will never truly know the exact wording, how it lined up or even the handwriting style. There are at least three different versions of the phrasing taken from different sources. The City of London Police took a different transcription for example.

Comment

For my first post I would like to ask the following:

What would have happened if The killer hadn’t been interrupted while mutilating

Larry
          Welcome, Larry.

Judging by more recent 'double eventers', such as Ted Bundy, Leigh Thornhill and Mark Dixie, I'd say we would never have heard of Eddowes, because the killer would have got it out of his system with Stride, and gone home with a trophy or two to relive the experience later in private.

I doubt he'd have written a message on a wall, or dropped anything taken from Stride beneath it, if things had gone entirely his way and he'd fulfilled the prediction sent to Central News and yet to be published [assuming it was his own prediction].

The message only had to associate Jews with blame, and it would have served a dual purpose: putting the focus back on the Jews in the wake of Leather Apron, and having a dig at them for putting up obstacles to his success that night in Berner Street, making it necessary for a second woman to die.

I suspect Stride might have been found with an ear missing, had they been in a deserted location with no time pressures.

Love,

Caz
          X
          I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Thanks, everybody, for your responses
            Larry

Comment

Working...
            X