Mrs. Fiddymont

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mrs. Fiddymont

Wanting to dig deeper into Mrs. Fiddymont story, my research led me to Christopher Scott's fantastic work, A Cast of Thousands. https://www.casebook.org/ripper_medi...fiddymont.html

Chris doubted that Hannah had been there in London with her husband in 1888, and he was right. I found in Kelly's Directory, Hannah living at 10 Waterpark Terrace Southtown, Norfolk in 1888.

The story of the widow 'Emma A Mounteney' (she actually appears in the 1891 census as Emma A Merenteney) didn't add up. We first find Mr. Fiddymont and Mrs. Merenteney together in the 1891 census, in a tavern at 65 Bushfield Street. This did not make Mrs. Merenteney Mrs. Fiddymont in 1888 at the Prince Albert Tavern. I thought perhaps, Samuel, sometime between 1890 (as he appears on the electoral record living at 21 Bushfield St in 1890) and April 1891 (when the census was taken), found a job at 'The Market House' and left the Prince Albert tavern.

Well, I found in GRO a record of a baby who died in 1887 in Whitechapel when she was only 5 months old; Her name was Rhoda Amelia Fiddymont, and as Chris rightly said, Fiddymont is not a very common surname, at least in London, so I tracked down the little girl and located her on deceasedonline; she was buried at Manor Park Cemetery on March 11, 1887.
    Now we knew that she was the daughter of Samuel, the only thing missing from her is to give her 'a mother'. And I found her maiden name on GRO, Gooch!

So I was finally able to find the famous Mrs Fiddymont (in the 1891 census), 'married', with one child by Samuel, living in West Ham, at 67 Pitchford Street, and pregnant when she had the encounter with the suspect.

Her name was Alice Mary Gooch, born in 1864, between October and December, she was not yet 24 years old.

GOOCH, ALICE MARY (Maiden's mother name DIXON)
    GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 04A Page 4

The first child, with her mother's last name, but named Fiddymont as a middle name; and the second already recognized and surnamed Fiddymont.

GOOCH, FREDERICK FIDDYMONT (not mother's maiden name)
    GRO Reference: 1883 J Quarter in WANDSWORTH Volume 01D Page 696

FIDDYMONT, WILLIAM ALBERT (mother's maiden name GOOCH)
    GRO Reference: 1889 M Quarter in WHITECHAPEL Volume 01C Page 297

Unfortunately I do not have a good command of English, hope it is understandable; please don't hesitate to ask if something is not clear.

Regards
    Attached Files

That makes three of us!
    Sue Parry wrote an article on this for the Whitechapel Society magazine.
    https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/ripp...-97-april-2021

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
      That makes three of us!
      Sue Parry wrote an article on this for the Whitechapel Society magazine.
      https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/ripp...-97-april-2021

​​​​​​Was it already discovered? haha, what a shame! and to think that I nearly lost my mind trying to put the puzzle together. Debra, do you know how I could read the article? any link or pic of the pages? I would like to see if there is any more information apart from what I found that could be useful to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

​​​​​​Was it already discovered? haha, what a shame! and to think that I nearly lost my mind trying to put the puzzle together. Debra, do you know how I could read the article? any link or pic of the pages? I would like to see if there is any more information apart from what I found that could be useful to me.
        Howard uploaded links to several issues of the Whitechapel Society journal, including the one where this article appeared:
        https://www.jtrforums.com/filedata/fetch?id=589306

I think there is some additional material in your post, though, including the burial entry of Rhoda mentioning the Prince Albert. (Sue Parry had found Samuel Fiddymont listed there in electoral registers and a directory.)

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Phillips View Post

Howard uploaded links to several issues of the Whitechapel Society journal, including the one where this article appeared:
          https://www.jtrforums.com/filedata/fetch?id=589306

I think there is some additional material in your post, though, including the burial entry of Rhoda mentioning the Prince Albert. (Sue Parry had found Samuel Fiddymont listed there in electoral registers and a directory.)

Thank you very much Chris

I reached the same result through his deceased daughter, at least I have the consolation of having discovered that... unless Debra had already done so haha

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

If it's any consolation, I know how you feel!
            I see Chris has sent you a link to Sue's article now.
            I think quite a lot of the information that appeared in Chris Scott's 'A Cast of Thousands' has been updated research-wise in the 18 years since Chris wrote it.

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

If it's any consolation, I know how you feel!

haha, yes Debra, it helps

Comment

I think Alice didn't die in 1929 like Sue Parry said, but in 1925. I haven't gone any further, as I lose interest a bit when people are buried in common graves. However there we have the West Ham Cemetery burial records of Alice Sandford, buried on January 10, 1925; and that of Joseph Thomas Sandford, buried on January 10, 1929. Watch out for January 10!

There is another Alice buried in the same cemetery 'Alice Maud Mary', which I imagine is the one Sue thought it was. But nothing can be known from West Ham Cemetery records except the date and where they were buried... I never saw a record book sadder and simplest than the one in this cemetery.
                Attached Files

Comment

Here are the Sandfords on the 1921 census. Alice’s middle initial is given as M.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                    Here are the Sandfords on the 1921 census. Alice’s middle initial is given as M.
                    Yes, it's 'M' for Mary:

GOOCH, ALICE MARY (Maiden's mother name DIXON)
                    GRO Reference: 1864 D Quarter in WEST HAM UNION Volume 04A Page 4

Comment

Working...
                    X