Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Emily Barker

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Emily Barker

    Aberdeen Weekly Journal
    October 1, 1889
    **************
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

  • #2
    Even though this article Howard posted states the height of the Pinchin victim at 5’8 or 9”, Dr Hibbert had her around 5’3” or 4”.

    On August 10th, 1889 Jack Saul was interviewed by Inspector Abberline regarding names of people involved in the Cleveland Street scandal. Other than the names of many very important men involved, Saul gave the name of the secretary for Charles Hammond responsible for recording the names of the visitors in a book. She was a prostitute by the name of Emily Barker. Her name is referred to twice in Sauls statement. Once as Barker and later as Parker. Saul stated she had a row with Hammond and had left the house and was living off Neale Street in Seven Dials. Now the location of Emily was known. Nothing more is heard of this seemingly important witness. (Thanks to The Sins of Jack Saul by Glenn Chandler for Sauls statement)

    A month later the Pinchin torso was discovered. By this time, most of the witnesses that would cough up the names of these important people involved in the scandal had absconded or zipped their lips. Was Emily silenced to keep the names and faces she had seen on a daily basis at Cleveland Street hidden forever? Most of the names eventually surfaced but it seems higher powers were trying to hush the situation as fast as they could. Maybe Emily knew more names that shouldn’t be uttered to the public. Tossng her under an arch in Whitechapel and making it appear to be a ripper crime would solve that big problem.

    A couple months later, Lord Somerset is tipped off of his imminent arrest and leaves the country for good. The whole thing seems to go away around this time. No more Ripper. No more torsos.

    Comment


    • #3
      Thanks a lot JD for this interesting idea !!!
      To Join JTR Forums :
      Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

      Comment


      • #4
        Very interesting thought, Jerry. It always surprised me that, except for Elizabeth Jackson, nobody seemed to miss or be able to identify the torso victims.

        The article says the victim was large and like an "abnormally developed female." Since the Cleveland Street scandal had to do with homosexuality, it could make sense that a masculine woman might fit in.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
          Very interesting thought, Jerry. It always surprised me that, except for Elizabeth Jackson, nobody seemed to miss or be able to identify the torso victims.

          The article says the victim was large and like an "abnormally developed female." Since the Cleveland Street scandal had to do with homosexuality, it could make sense that a masculine woman might fit in.
          Thanks Anna,

          Charles Hammond’s wife was a prostitute herself. The Cleveland Street address was used for both men and women. The Hammonds had lived as a couple in a house at 14 Church Street prior to the CLeveland Steet house. The landlady of that house was a well known brothel keeper with an even more well known past. Her name was Harriet Wright. It was at her residence on Great Coram Street that Harriet Buswell was murdered. After the Buswell murder, Harriet Wright moved in with her mother at the Church Street address. It was there that George Manduit was found dead. He fit the description of the murderer of Harriet Buswell.

          Comment


          • #6
            While this is from a Mexican paper, perhaps she really was Emily Barker?

            El Tiempo (Mexico)
            30 October 1889
            Translation


            Jack the Ripper
            The parents of the young woman most recently murdered in London by Jack the Ripper have come forward to the police stating that the victim was named Emily Barker, from Northampton, and that they have no doubt that it was their daughter.

            They said she was leading an unsettled life and that not long ago she was taken off the street, half naked, by an Anglican priest. She stayed with him a short while and a few days after she left his house the other Whitechapel crime occurred. The mother of the young woman says that, among other details, she recognized the most recent victim as her daughter because she had made the shirt that she was wearing and also by a mark that she had on one finger of the right hand. The Northampton police have collaborated with the London police to further their investigations and capture the mysterious killer.

            On the 6th October, a letter was received at the Press Association, the envelope of which was inscribed in a different hand from the letter which was worded as follows:

            "Dear Editor, I hope to continue my work on Tuesday or Wednesday; say nothing to the police. Jack the Ripper."

            The signature was underlined in a different colour.

            Comment


            • #7
              Thanks Kattrup

              I think Debs has done research into Emily Barker and found she was a runaway, IIRC. I also seem to remember her age being under 20. The Pinchin woman was thought to be between 25 and 40 which is a mark against her being the same person. However, the woman that worked for Charles Hammond was his secretary. Hammond could not write so he had Emily Barker write all of his correspondence in addition to recording the names of the visitors. In his notes in ď A System of Legal MedicineĒ, Dr. Hibbert noted marks on the fingers of the torso may have come from writing.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                Thanks Anna,

                Charles Hammondís wife was a prostitute herself. The Cleveland Street address was used for both men and women. The Hammonds had lived as a couple in a house at 14 Church Street prior to the CLeveland Steet house. The landlady of that house was a well known brothel keeper with an even more well known past. Her name was Harriet Wright. It was at her residence on Great Coram Street that Harriet Buswell was murdered. After the Buswell murder, Harriet Wright moved in with her mother at the Church Street address. It was there that George Manduit was found dead. He fit the description of the murderer of Harriet Buswell.
                That's quite a background of shady characters! They certainly moved up in the ranks of crime when upper classes came to enjoy what was offered at Cleveland Street.
                The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
                  That's quite a background of shady characters! They certainly moved up in the ranks of crime when upper classes came to enjoy what was offered at Cleveland Street.
                  Yes they did. Blackmail and upper class equals security and more money.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
                    Thanks Kattrup

                    I think Debs has done research into Emily Barker and found she was a runaway, IIRC. I also seem to remember her age being under 20. The Pinchin woman was thought to be between 25 and 40 which is a mark against her being the same person. However, the woman that worked for Charles Hammond was his secretary. Hammond could not write so he had Emily Barker write all of his correspondence in addition to recording the names of the visitors. In his notes in ď A System of Legal MedicineĒ, Dr. Hibbert noted marks on the fingers of the torso may have come from writing.
                    Well of course, is there anything Debra hasnít researched?

                    I searched for some posts on Barker, as your theory was new to me, and didnít find much, though. But yes, it does seem that the missing Northampton Emily was too young to be the woman found, and the police did not lend credence to the motherís story of having mended the shirt found.

                    I wonder about the height differences reported, at the inquest 5í 8-9, but Hebert writes 5í 4. Also the articles note the womanís torso was large, whereas Hebbert says a perfectly average 32B.

                    How the differences?

                    Also also, when you write that nothing more was heard of Emily the secretary, does that mean within the narrative you were referring to, or has someone tried to track her in the censuses etc and not found her?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
                      Well of course, is there anything Debra hasnít researched?

                      I searched for some posts on Barker, as your theory was new to me, and didnít find much, though. But yes, it does seem that the missing Northampton Emily was too young to be the woman found, and the police did not lend credence to the motherís story of having mended the shirt found.

                      I wonder about the height differences reported, at the inquest 5í 8-9, but Hebert writes 5í 4. Also the articles note the womanís torso was large, whereas Hebbert says a perfectly average 32B.

                      How the differences?

                      Also also, when you write that nothing more was heard of Emily the secretary, does that mean within the narrative you were referring to, or has someone tried to track her in the censuses etc and not found her?
                      Not much is known of the secretary. The little I know of her is from Glenn Chandlers book. She would undoubtetly be an important witness in the scandal however she doesnt appear to have been asked to testify in any proceeding I have seen. Jack Saul actually went and located her for Abberline in Seven Dials. So her location was known to the police if they wanted her as a witness.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I believe I may have found Emily Parker, the Cleveland Street secretary of Charles Hammond, alive and well in 1891.





                        She would have been a close friend of Jack Saul, who Abberline asked where he could find her. The 2nd to last entry on this same census is our man, Jack Saul, listed as a chemist. Exactly where Glenn Chandler states in his book, The Sins of Jack Saul, he ended up after the trial of Ernest Parke. At the Marlborough Hotel working for Mr. Dalton.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The address at 20 Villiers Street where Emily was working was owned by Carlo Gatti. I was wondering why all the Italian names in the census?? Gatti had a restaurant, billiard room, music hall in the area. He also produced Ice Cream for the Regent Canal Company. They were from an Italian speaking area of Switzerland.

                          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlo_Gatti


                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Just a little note about the height-
                            Dr Percy John Clark, Dr Phillips assistant gave the height of the Pinchin victim, at inquest in September, as 5ft 3in. Dr Hebbert gave the height in his reports as 5ft 3.3in so no discrepancy there.
                            The mention of the torso being 5ft 8 or 9in. seems to come from reporting that Emily Barker's parents had come forward but there was a height discrepancy between her and the torso victim, who was thought to be 5ft 8/9.

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X