Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerry Dunlop
    replied
    Call me crazy, but, here is a very possible route this man took to work at the Police Building in 1888. If I'm not mistaken the construction went on until the opening of the building in 1890? This route puts him across the Albert Bridge, next to Battersea Park, past the Shelly Estate, past Chappel and Company where the arm was found and possibly crossing paths with Elizabeth Jackson until he arrived in the vaults of Scotland Yard where a week before the discovery of the torso there, he had been actively working in the vault as a carpenter. The Whitehall victim's arm was found in a timber wharf which was along this route.

One last thing. Stewart Evans and Keith Skinner found a letter dated October 6,1888 addressed to Sir Charles Warren at Scotland Yard signed "The Whore Killer". Here is a link to that letter.

https://books.google.com/books?id=Rc...letter&f=false

In the letter he says he intends to kill at Clapham Junction Commons. That location was right near this man's house and the letter was received 4 days after the discovery of the Whitehall torso.

Leave a comment:

• Jerry Dunlop
    started a topic Frederick Wildbore- Whitehall Torso Witness

Frederick Wildbore- Whitehall Torso Witness

Inspired, again, by discussions of the torso killer I decided today to make a project out of finding more information on a witness in the Whitehall case that has always intrigued me. Frederick Wildbore.

This elusive man has evaded me in the past and rightfully so. I was always looking for him under the name of Wildborn/Wildborne and his name was actually in several press clippings as it should be, Wildbore. After coming to several dead ends I finally found this guy. And the reason he eluded me, other than mis-spelling his name, was the press getting the street name wrong. They wrote it down as it sounded to them, which is par for the course.

Recent discussion about the Whitehall case have really made a firmer impression in my mind that whoever deposited the torso in the vault was someone very familiar with surroundings and had access to entry into the worksite. I won't include it here, but the testimony of Frederick Wildbore is available in the inquest reports for the Whitehall Mystery. He was a carpenter by trade and I have a hunch he may be related to a Frederick Augustus Wildbore (gas fitter/builder), living in Lambeth, that was a contractor and may have been sub-contracting work in the new police building. That's for another day, though.

There are two entries in the 1861 Census and I'm a little confused if they are our man or not? I will not include them here just yet. If they are him, it looks like he was living with his family and then another family in that year as a 6 year old.

1871 Census

Name-Frederic John Wildbore
    Event Type-Census
    Event Date-1871
    Event Place-Keyham, Leicestershire, England
    Enumeration District-7
    Gender-Male
    Age-16
    Marital Status-Single
    Occupation-Carpenter
    Relationship to Head of Household-Nephew
    Birth Year (Estimated)-1855
    Birthplace-Peterborough, Northamptonshire

1890 Electoral Register

Now look at that address. The press reports noted the address as 17, Mansell Road, Clapham Junction. Maysoule would probably sound a lot like Mansell and of course instead of 17 it was actually 117 and it was located right at Clapham Junction.

1891 Census

Name-Fred J Wilebore
    Event Type-Census
    Event Date-1891
    County-London
    Parish-Battersea
    Ecclesiastical Parish-ST JOHN
    Registration District-Wandsworth
    Residence Note-Maysoule Road
    Gender-Male
    Age-35
    Marital Status-Married
    Occupation-Carpenter
    Relationship to Head of Household-Head
    Birth Year (Estimated)-1856
    Birthplace-Lincolnshire, England

1911 Census

Name-Frederick John Wildbore
    Event Type-Census
    Event Date-1911
    Event Place-Battersea, Battersea S W, London, England
    County-London
    Parish-Battersea
    Sub-District-South West Battersea
    Registration District-Wandsworth
    Gender-Male
    Age-56
    Marital Status (Original)-MARRIED
    Occupation-HOUSE CARPENTER TO RES OF
    Birthplace-Kesteven Stamford, Lincolnshire

He is listed with a different birthplace in several records, but they seem to all be near Peterborough, so I'm pretty sure it's the same man. The occupation stays consistent as well.

Death (not a 100% on this one, yet)

Name-Frederick J Wildbore
    Event Type-Death
    Registration Quarter-Apr-May-Jun
    Registration Year-1934
    Registration District-Chelsea
    County-London
    Event Place-Chelsea, London, England
    Age (available after 1866)-79

Here is a map of where he lived marked at the bottom left.

Working...
X