Torsos burial records

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

Thanks Jose. Perhaps it could be the female newborn found at Edbury Bridge that I mentioned in the same article?

"An inquest was also held at Pimlico concerning the body of a newborn female child found bundled in ragged, filthy clothing and bedding and dumped in an underground station near Edbury Bridge. There was some suspicion that this may have connection with the case under investigation, based on some press reports that the victim found in the Thames had been delivered of a child recently. The cause of death of this child could not be ascertained however."
    Unfortunately we cannot locate the fetuses with precision.

Two cases of newly born female were buried at Brookwood that fit the dates, one on June 18 from St George's, and another, the one mentioned above, buried on July 5, but this one came from Strand and that doesn't fit very well.

"...on the 12th June the remains of a male fetus, of approximately 5 or 6 months gestation, was found floating in the river near Whitehall..."

Although we can be almost certain that he was buried in Brookwood, we have three newly born male unknowns buried there from June 12 to September, two on June 14th and one on June 21st, and the three from St George's, the same place where the Whitehall Torso came from

Comment

Originally posted by Jose Oranto View Post

"...on the 12th June the remains of a male fetus, of approximately 5 or 6 months gestation, was found floating in the river near Whitehall..."

Although we can be almost certain that he was buried in Brookwood, we have three newly born male unknowns buried there from June 12 to September, two on June 14th and one on the 21st, and the three from St George's, the same place where the Whitehall Torso came from
      It also depends on the policy regarding the deaths of unborn children I suppose? A foetus may not have warranted a recognised burial?

Comment

Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post

It also depends on the policy regarding the deaths of unborn children I suppose? A foetus may not have warranted a recognised burial?

It might be, Debra. It is true that I never saw a record in any cemetery that said: "fetus" or "Unborn", but rather "Newly Born" or "SBC" (Still Born Child). This could mean that the "Unborn" did not have to be registered, but I tend to believe that they were registered as 'Newly Born' or 'SBC', since, apparently, everything that is buried in a cemetery is registered... a found skeleton, a bone, a limb... a torso

I remember that in the same grave of John Pizer, in addition to a baby, a 'baby or fetus' was buried and recorded, but of course, it was not 'unknown'​​

Comment

Working...
        X