Element 3- Letters To Police & Press

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Element 3- Letters To Police & Press

Does anyone recall an instance prior to the Whitechapel Murders in which a taunting or confessional letter was sent to either the police or press ?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I suggest Element-6 should be that JtR got the first major press coverage of any serial killer. And is it because of this press coverage that we still argue about how many victims were Jack's and if there really was a JtR? Without the press coverage what would we know about JtR? Would he even be a blip in the folklore of Whitechapel?

An Element-7 could be the name Jack the Ripper. Probably a press invention yet prior to JtR can we name one individual with such a powerful nickname? Spring Heel Jack was kind of a phantom. Robin Hood may have been based on several men. I cannot think of a name similar to JtR, prior to JtR, that we can reasonably attribute to one individual. (I almost opened a can of worms with the last statement. Probably 500 years from now JtR will be known as a fictional creature of folklore invented at a time when several murderers were active in the East End of 1888.)
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Was this the first time a human organ was sent through the post by someone claiming it had come from a murder victim?

Have there been any copycat examples since?

Love,

Caz
      X
      I wish I were two puppies then I could play together - Storm Petersen

Comment

Caz:

I'd bet the house that it was the first time a body part was ( even if bogus ) delivered by post.

Anna;

Good one about the name. Thanks !
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Comment

Working...
        X