Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Element 9- Multiple Mutilators, Same City

Jerry Dunlop thought of this one.

I can't, off the top of my head, recall two mutilators working in the same general vicinity of each other in a city before the WM. I'm pretty sure, and Jerry can correct me...that he is referencing, for the sake of a name, The Thames Torso Killer. Jerry will have to post which torsos he is referring to....

Can you think of two at the same time prior to the WM ?

Certainly this can be done now...with Joel Rifkin and Robert Shulman....the latter hailed from the same town as a certain Moderator named Bob Anderson and was only three years older.....Rifkin operated out of New York City , as did Shulman, their 'careers' overlapping...

Joel David Rifkin is an American serial killer. In 1994, he was sentenced to 203 years in prison for the murders of nine women between 1989 and 1993. He is believed to have killed up to 17 victims between 1989 and 1993 in New York City and in Long Island, New York.

Robert Shulman (March 28, 1954 – April 13, 2006) was an American serial killer. Shulman, a postal worker from Hicksville, New York on Long Island, was convicted of murdering five prostitutes between 1991 and 1996, the year when he was arrested.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

I suppose that evisceration and dismemberment could loosely be placed in the category of mutilation, if we define "mutilation" as damage inflicted on an unlawfully killed person's body with a sharp instrument. If so, then stabs (with swords or knives), cut throats, even gunshot or arrow wounds would also count. In which case, it shouldn't be difficult to find numerous instances of multiple mutilators at large in the same city throughout history.
    Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
    (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      [B]...that he is referencing, for the sake of a name, The Thames Torso Killer. Jerry will have to post which torsos he is referring to....
      1887-1889, Howard.

Gareth,

Some thought the two murder series may be connected to one man. Others thought they were two separate series. That linked them almost together in a sense and I haven't been able to find anything of the sort in pre-ripper days.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Dunlop View Post
        Some thought the two murder series may be connected to one man.
        Quite so, Jerry, and others thought that the non-canonical (and one canonical ) throat-cutting victims might have been due to the same hand as "Jack the Eviscerator", as opposed to "George, Dick and Harry the [unconnected] Throat-Cutters" (various non-canonical victims), "Jim the Stabber" (Tabram) and "Tom the Arm-and-Leg Sawyer" (Torso Man/Men).
        I haven't been able to find anything of the sort in pre-ripper days.
        That might be due to the fact that the sensationalist, popular press was born almost at the same time as the JTR series itself. Indeed, so fresh was the tabloid phenomenon that, even within the actual Whitechapel Murder series (from 1887 onwards), we have a comparative paucity of reportage until the murder of Annie Chapman.

Who knows what went on, unreported, in the decades and centuries before then?
        Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
        (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
          Who knows what went on, unreported, in the decades and centuries before then?
          Can't argue with that.

Comment

Working...
          X