Element 17- Name Recognition Of The Victims

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Element 17- Name Recognition Of The Victims

Even though the Yorkshire Ripper investigation mentioned the names of the victims with great regularity, I think many people in Britain ( for certain outside the U.K.) would be hard pressed to name more than three of those poor women. Those crimes were solved less than 4 decades ago.

Likewise the Bundy murders....or Ridgeway murders. The former perpetuated against non-prostitutes, the latter all prostitutes.

A great many civilians ( non-Ripperologists) , due to suspect-oriented documentaries...generalized documentaries....and the diligence of researchers on The Forums and other places.....have a greater awareness of the Whitechapel victims and their lives than in any other serial murder case.

This in a sense runs contrary to the ultra-feminist view that the victims aren't receiving as much attention as the Ripper or the cops involved in the case.

My opinion:
    While just about everyone seriously involved in our field came to it because of the frisson it evokes...the love of a mystery......the Victorian glamor of fog and gaslight.....the urge to solve the murders...or a matter of rolling up the sleeves and fleshing out the case by augmenting the current data because one loves doing things like that....few came due to the victims.

Curiously, I did. I saw the Kelly photo and that was it. Ironically, I've avoided reading all the descriptions of the wounds for 15 years because it bothers me.

In any event, I think we do more towards celebrating what little there was to celebrate about the victims than just about anyone.

Thoughts ?
    Objections ?
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

The JtR cases are more or less limited to the C-5, all having common, easy to pronounce English names. Imagine if Liz was still surnamed Gustavsdottir or however that was spelled! Beyond that we can remember Emma Smith, Martha Tabram, Alice MacKenzie and Frances Coles.

Bundy and others killed more victims and the press coverage was handled differently. (I could probably pick out most of Bundy's victims from a list of names but I am very uncomfortable about those cases and don't think about it much. If I didn't have those personal feelings I might be able to name a number of them since Bundy operated right here in the northwest.)

A problem with modern day prostitute victims is, if they disappear it may be assumed they have gone somewhere else. If remains are found belatedly then the story is stretched out from the mystery of disappearance to the horror of discovery and part of the impact is diluted. Jack's victims were found right away, displayed on the streets and day to day they had fairly reliable habits.

Most of us can probably name most or all of the Manson Family's victims because press coverage focused on them, largely due to the movie star angle. Most of us know the Black Dahlia was named Elizabeth Short.

However it is true that JtR's victims were the first to be widely recognised by name as individuals with stories. Perhaps, that they were prostitutes, was a positive for them to be recognised as real women with real stories. In those days it would have been obscene for an upper class "lady" to have her name in the paper for other than her marriage day and her death notice! The same would have been somewhat true for a respectable working class woman, I think.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Anna:

Let me put it this way as I should have on the thread starter.....they're the most well known murder victims who were prostitutes , in history.

Short is well known...its a one-off murder as far as we know.
      Manson's victims are well known. Take the celebrity status away and they're as little known as BTK's. None, of course, were prostitutes....which, in my haste, I neglected to say.

Thanks for pitching in !
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
        Anna:

Let me put it this way as I should have on the thread starter.....they're the most well known murder victims who were prostitutes , in history.

Short is well known...its a one-off murder as far as we know.
        Manson's victims are well known. Take the celebrity status away and they're as little known as BTK's. None, of course, were prostitutes....which, in my haste, I neglected to say.

Thanks for pitching in !
        Oh...OK. Sorry.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Anna:

Don't be sorry....it was my fault for being less than specific....
          To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
          X