• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ***Georgina Green : Whitechapel Stabbing Victim May 1888***

Lloyd's Weekly Newspaper
    May 6, 1888
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

Having never heard of this case....I looked into the Old Bailey records and didn't find any reference to this young woman.
    I have a suspicion that when the papers mentioned "early yesterday morning" and that other reports ( so far...as thats what I'm looking for now) have yet to surface...that she may have been a prostitute.

Is this incident something others know about ?
    To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

I just went into a British newspaper source and nothing relative to her materialized using her name.

When I use one source to read the Lloyd's Weekly of May 6,1888....the 12th page appears...which is the last page of that particular issue.

When I use another source from Britain which has the same paper of the same date, the 12th page doesn't appear.

I tried numerous ways to locate anything else on this incident. I came up with nothing.

If anyone has a census listing, that might help...or if you've heard of this story, let us know.

Thanks.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This Lloyd's story did not appear in the British newspaper archives we have at our disposal when using a wide variety of search terms...for a very good reason.

This edition of Lloyd's apparently does not appear in British archive newspapers.

It does in one of our sources because that source contains the early Sunday edition.

This experience might be of value to those who trawl....and it had been a damned headache until we noticed a difference in the colophon of each edition.
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Howie,

"George Green Georgina abt 1858 St Pancras, Middlesex, England Head Spitalfields, London"

under the heading - Flower and Dean Street, Males born betwwen 1850 and 1870 in Chris Scott's post 35 of Casebook thread on 1881 census. (click here for that) I assume that means she is the wife of George Green of that street.

Roy

Comment

Roy:

Thanks for that....I checked to see if there was a story about this Georgina Green over there and saw what you just kindly provided.
            The reason that I didn't mention it was that there is a 4 year difference ( She would have been born in 1861/2 if the newspaper article is correct) in the woman's age.
            Still no follow up to be found.

Good of you again, old man !
            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Bump Up
              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

How, that date of birth, 1858 is for George Green. General Labourer at 29 Flower & Dean (lodging house). So he was 23 at 1881.

The census shows his wife Georgina

Name: Georgina Green
                Birth Year: 1855
                Birthplace: Walworth, Surrey, England
                Relationship to Head of Household: Wife
                Profession / Occupation: Charwoman
                Address: 29 Flower & Dean St. (Lodging House)
                Census Place: Spitalfields, London, Middlesex, England

Household Gender Age George Green M 23
                __________________Georgina Green F 26

Her age in news article is different by 7 years. interesting find, Howie. Alarming really.

Roy

Comment

My man Roy...thanks very much for this....and yes, it's alarming that no one has ever mentioned...maybe never even seen...this incident before in print.
                  Again......this seems to be a direct result of British editions of the May 6th early Sunday issue of Lloyd's being unavailable in newspaper archives.

I couldn't find those two together in the 1891 census.
                  To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Nice find, How! I've never seen this before, or seen it mentioned.
                    The edition of Lloyd's on newspaperarchive.com is turning up a few things not found on the BL library site's editions.

Comment

Thanks Debs....and you are as right as rain, because the NA.com is exactly where I located this story. I thought I mentioned that earlier,but I see that I neglected to. Sorry about that !
                      I wish you were here last night to watch as we were pulling our hair out trying to find it in the British Library....until Nina noticed the colophon which mentioned which edition that copy appeared in.
                      Its inspiring since if there may be other articles which enhance our knowledge.
                      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Deb,all...

This is what one finds when they attempt to locate anything on Georgina Green in NewspaperArchive...using her name thusly
                        "Georgina Green"

There were no results found for "georgina green" AND between 1887 and 1889

One other puzzling situation is that when you try and locate articles using the term "Whitechapel" within the years 1887-1889...I couldn't find the article.
                        It was only when I used the single year "1888" that the following appeared.
                        Maybe its just me, Debs...

To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Originally posted by How Brown View Post
                          Deb,all...

This is what one finds when they attempt to locate anything on Georgina Green in NewspaperArchive...using her name thusly
                          "Georgina Green"

There were no results found for "georgina green" AND between 1887 and 1889

One other puzzling situation is that when you try and locate articles using the term "Whitechapel" within the years 1887-1889...I couldn't find the article.
                          It was only when I used the single year "1888" that the following appeared.
                          Maybe its just me, Debs...

This is one of the reasons I have found that particular newspaper archive so frustrating, How. It happens to me all the time.
                          That and the length of time it takes to download articles (do you also have this problem?)
                          Most things I have found on there have been by sheer accident or using really obscure search terms.

Comment

This is one of the reasons I have found that particular newspaper archive so frustrating, How. It happens to me all the time.
                            That and the length of time it takes to download articles (do you also have this problem?)
                            Most things I have found on there have been by sheer accident or using really obscure search terms.

Debs...Newspaper Archive will "time out" on me more than anything. I don't download articles,so thats not a problem.
                            Sometimes, I am able to put an article on this site within a minute after seeing it on NA or the British Library...Photobucketing it...and slapping it up on a thread. Sometimes, it takes a lot longer.
                            You'll notice the way they spelled "Georgina" in that Lloyd's article. It would be extremely difficult finding that story by using the correct spelling...which is always a problem.
                            To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

It is hoped that somehow....it will probably have to be accomplished by someone in Britain....that we eventually learn the particulars of this incident....sort of like how Mike Covell found out the crucial information regarding the protocol of the Currie Ward in the London Hospital as it applied to a certain chap from Hull in 1888.

Was Georgina Green attacked while possibly soliciting ?

Is it not tantalizing to think that this might have been an early case ( such as those cases of Wilson,Millwood,etc ) of a pre-Autumn Of Terror Whitechapel Murderer at work ?
                              To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Working...
                              X