No announcement yet.

October 1889 Assault On Duncan Street

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now tossing 10 policemen off you in the middle of court? That's a real badass.

Last ditch desparation, Tom...IMHO
    Final blows against the Bossman before the slammer.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
      Now tossing 10 policemen off you in the middle of court? That's a real badass.

Last ditch desparation, Tom...IMHO
      Final blows against the Bossman before the slammer.
      No question about that, Howard. I just meant the strength it took to do that is pretty bad. I've never been able to throw more than 2 or 3 cops off me at a time.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Good one Tom !
        To Join JTR Forums :
        Contact [email protected]

Comment

Hi Jon

Yes I believe his mood changed at that point and I would ally it with rage

His excuse for stabbing her was either that she was extortionat (!) or that she tried to bilk him

He had treated her for a while but refused to go to a lodging house with her

I think that is probably connected to his having been robbed/stripped in the past, almost certainly in "brothels" and I'm sure he suspected that the hooligans were connected with Alice Graham

It's similar to when Sadler accused Coles of not helping him etc

Howard has posted many examples of sailors in partcular being blatantly robbed and/or attacked in such a manner

If you consider that he has just had a fight with hooligans and that a policeman, apparently quite roughly, took the woman away, at least to the other side of Commercial Rd, then when she returned to him, and he was alone with her, then in his mind perhaps the policeman could almost provide an alibi later

Nobody knew he was with her at that moment, and he attacked her with other policemen close by, close enough to hear her screams

Whatever was going through his mind he apparently threw her down in a court and stabbed her you know what

He demonstrates a method of getting the woman on her back silently, at least for the first few vital seconds

Her reaction time seemed quite slow to me as she thought she was being raped so she might have held on to her cachous for example

Comment

I've seen a couple newspaper reports where an abused woman testifying against her BF at the Malborough Courts was attacked by him with a knife while in court. Apparently not an uncommon practice in Victorian times.

Originally posted by Tom_Wescott View Post
            I've never been able to throw more than 2 or 3 cops off me at a time.
            The most I've thrown off is 3 freestyle snowboarders. Those are small (5.8´´at most) but pretty agile. :-p

(Before that there was some wrestling on the floor where we forced a guy to sniff someone else's socks. I think that might beat Grainger in perversity and savagery.)
            Best regards,
            Maria

Comment

Hi Jon,

The Ripper's MO was to say "Here, hold these for a sec..." and fill his victim's hands with cachous and grapes. Once distracted and with full hands, he would attack. Unfortunately, in Stride's case, he was interrupted and had to abandon his sweets. This is all fact, by the way, and not supposition. I have an unsourced newspaper report from Burt Bacharach, head of the vigilance committee.

Yours truly,

Tom Wescott

Comment

Working...
              X