Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AP Wolf
    replied
    That's right, Natalie, I remember that now.
    If only more people had written letters...

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by A.P. Wolf View Post
    Is this the only example of a close relative of one of the victims writing to the press to correct false impressions, or are there others out there?

'
    LETTER FROM THE HUSBAND.
    TO THE EDITOR OF "LLOYD'S NEWSPAPER." - DEAR SIR, - I hope you will correct an error in your Sunday Edition in reference to the Whitechapel murder. It is stated that I did not know my own son. That is not so. He left home of his own accord two years and a half ago, and I have always been on speaking terms with him. Only two or three months ago I saw him, and last week received two letters from him, asking me if I knew of any work for him. I did not leave my wife during her confinement and go away with a nurse girl. The deceased woman deserted me four or five times, if not six. The last time she left me without any home, and five children, the youngest one year and four months'. I kept myself with the children where I was living for two and a half years before I took on with anybody, and not till after it was proved at Lambeth police-court that she had misconducted herself. - Yours respectfully, W. NICHOLLS. '
    Hi AP,
    There is a poignant letter to a vicar which was I believe printed in either the local newspaper in Chelsea or one of the Nationals that came from Annie Chapman"s brother.He told of her immense struggle with drink and how it destroyed her and her family.He spoke of her very warmly and affectionately though.I think he ran or helped run a Temperence Society after her death.He too tried to correct the impresssion in the letter that Annie had always been a down and out.He spoke about her being a decent woman and coming from decent folk.
    Best
    Natalie

Leave a comment:

• AP Wolf
    started a topic Dead Letters

Dead Letters

Is this the only example of a close relative of one of the victims writing to the press to correct false impressions, or are there others out there?

'
    LETTER FROM THE HUSBAND.
    TO THE EDITOR OF "LLOYD'S NEWSPAPER." - DEAR SIR, - I hope you will correct an error in your Sunday Edition in reference to the Whitechapel murder. It is stated that I did not know my own son. That is not so. He left home of his own accord two years and a half ago, and I have always been on speaking terms with him. Only two or three months ago I saw him, and last week received two letters from him, asking me if I knew of any work for him. I did not leave my wife during her confinement and go away with a nurse girl. The deceased woman deserted me four or five times, if not six. The last time she left me without any home, and five children, the youngest one year and four months'. I kept myself with the children where I was living for two and a half years before I took on with anybody, and not till after it was proved at Lambeth police-court that she had misconducted herself. - Yours respectfully, W. NICHOLLS. '
Working...
X