Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cwmavon Davies Collier Fatalities

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Cwmavon Davies Collier Fatalities

    A list created by researcher Jon Horlor on FB Forums.
    Many thanks to Jon for this...

    CWMAVON DAVIES COLLIER FATALITIES

    Mining Fatalities around Cwmavon.

    July 11th 1872. W.Davies Dodds slope. Gas Explosion

    Jan 10th 1873 Jabez Davies Golynos Colliery entangled in Machinery

    August 10th 1875 Charles Davies Forge Pits Blaenavon Fall of a Huge Stone

    August 16th 1878 William Davies Viponds Varteg Accident at the Screens

    April 7th 1879 James Davies Glyn Pits Roof Fall

    Feb 5th 1880 James Davies Viponds Varteg Roof Fall

    May 22nd 1880 George Davies, Garn Pits Roof Fall

    September 30th 1881 John Davies, Dodds slope, Fall of Large stone.

    March 20th 1882 William Davies, British Top Pit Run over by a coal tram.

    August 2nd 1882 Thomas John Davies Glyn Pits, Fall of a large lump of coal.

    March 21st 1883 Morgan Davies Abersychan Top Pit Fall of a stone

    Between 1870 and 1879 there were 73 mining deaths reported in coalmines local to Cwmavon. 55 were killed by a fall of stones.

    In total I have found 30 Davies fatalities.
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

  • #2
    That is extremely helpful! There were not a lot of Davies in the major pit disasters. I have tried to look at lesser disasters and accidents in search of the right Davies.
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

    Comment


    • #3
      20th February 1883 at New Van Consols and Glyn Mines a workman John Davies was killed by an explosion, when he returned too soon to a room he had prepared with gunpowder.

      It wasn't a coal mine, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure he'd be described as a collier, but wouldn't that kind of job description be fairly fluid, i.e. MJK might have said he was a collier because he was one when they married, but two -three years later when he died he could be working another type of mine.

      Chronologically he would fit, at least - MJK came to London ca. 1884 after 8-9 months in Cardiff after her husband's death. And he was killed by explosion, a lot of the other mining Davieses were killed by falling rocks.


      I should add that the Consols and Glyn mines were not near Cwmavon, but I figured this thread would do fine anyway
      Last edited by Kattrup; April 22, 2021, 05:50 AM. Reason: edited for geographical clarity

      Comment


      • #4
        Great find, Kattrup! I have looked for anything that might resemble a mine explosion that I could link with a Davies. I really believe, if there is any truth to MJK's story, that the details must be small and local. One problem with her story is the two main groups of people who knew her, the Ratcliff Highway denizens and Barnett and the Millers Court residents, got two versions of her life.

        Tidbits to go on are that Mary claimed to be Irish but her speech showed her to be Welsh or to have spent time in Wales. Though Mary had apparently been a prostitute, she had a long term living arrangement with Barnett and it appears he was her only long term, intimate cohabitation in London. My point is, we have indications that Mary sought a more settled life at times and to me, that indicates she may have been more truthful in relating her background than if she had had a series of paramours.
        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Kattrup View Post
          20th February 1883 at New Van Consols and Glyn Mines a workman John Davies was killed by an explosion, when he returned too soon to a room he had prepared with gunpowder.

          It wasn't a coal mine, as far as I can tell, so I'm not sure he'd be described as a collier, but wouldn't that kind of job description be fairly fluid, i.e. MJK might have said he was a collier because he was one when they married, but two -three years later when he died he could be working another type of mine.

          Chronologically he would fit, at least - MJK came to London ca. 1884 after 8-9 months in Cardiff after her husband's death. And he was killed by explosion, a lot of the other mining Davieses were killed by falling rocks.


          I should add that the Consols and Glyn mines were not near Cwmavon, but I figured this thread would do fine anyway
          I apologise, but I've revisited this guy and it turns out he didn't die. His right thigh and skull was fractured, and he was unable to work for 20 weeks. But he didn't die. So he's off the list.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Kattrup View Post

            I apologise, but I've revisited this guy and it turns out he didn't die. His right thigh and skull was fractured, and he was unable to work for 20 weeks. But he didn't die. So he's off the list.
            I wouldn’t remove him altogether, Kattrup. If a woman left her husband after he’d been injured in a mining accident, she might well spin the story to include his death to avoid revealing that she’d abandoned him.

            I’ve often wondered why she would have reverted to her maiden name if she was the widow of a man who had been tragically killed.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
              I’ve often wondered why she would have reverted to her maiden name if she was the widow of a man who had been tragically killed.
              Yes, that's always been odd

              Comment


              • #8
                "I’ve often wondered why she would have reverted to her maiden name if she was the widow of a man who had been tragically killed."

                Yes, it's a question that has been raised before. Unfortunately, it is also the kind of circumstance that an imposter might overlook.
                Given the attention Mary Kelly has received over the years it is still amazing that nothing she told us has been verified. It's become increasingly likely to me that Mary Jane Kelly was not her real name.
                If so, the problem then becomes, what parts of her story are invented and what parts belong to the victim herself - whoever she was. In this case perhaps it was the victim who had been married to a miner called Davies, it being her own personal experience.
                She may not have thought it through, that adopting the name of someone else would then raise the obvious question posed above.

                These women didn't always use their own names, but they told us that in press interviews at the time.
                Regards, Jon S.
                "
                The theory that the murderer is a lunatic is dispelled by the opinion given to the police by an expert in the treatment of lunacy patients......."If he's insane
                " observed the medical authority, "he's a good deal sharper than those who are not".
                Reynolds Newspaper, 4 Nov. 1888.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Gary Barnett
                  I’ve often wondered why she would have reverted to her maiden name if she was the widow of a man who had been tragically killed.
                  I wondered the same thing about Mary Jane Wilson, although her husband was not killed in a tragic accident. Why would she have reverted to her maiden name if she was MJK? Now we know her husband had abandoned her by 1884. The question however still remains for any Mrs. Davies and colliery accident theory.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    William Davies died in the Risca explosion of 1880. He was married.

                    Willim-Davies-Death.jpg

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by J.W. Sage View Post
                      William Davies died in the Risca explosion of 1880. He was married.

                      Willim-Davies-Death.jpg
                      I received the death certificate for William Davies and names "Zipporah Davies" as his widow. He is officially ruled out.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X