Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Annie Chapman Paris -Soir

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Annie Chapman Paris -Soir

    Illustration accompanying an article on Annie Chapman's murder from Paris-Soir Dec 1934

    annie chapman.JPG

    It is captioned -at her feet two copper rings were laid...or something similar I think, which is taken from the text of the article.

  • #2
    Sacre bleu !
    Great find, Debs !!!!!
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact Howard@jtrforums.com

    Comment


    • #3
      Cheers How.
      I'm trying to make some sense of the accompanying article.
      The first paragraph says something along the lines of the copper rings were found placed carefully at her feet after being ripped from her fingers along with a few other belongings. It then goes on to say this showed an astonishing concern for order in a monster who left his horrible work on show.

      Comment


      • #4
        I love the decidedly 1930s look of Annie's lower half and clothing in that image Debs.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Paul Butler View Post
          I love the decidedly 1930s look of Annie's lower half and clothing in that image Debs.
          Ha, yes. Paul. They weren't going for any historical clothing accuracy award that's for sure!
          I like that they chose not to focus on the gore in the illustration after describing the murder as the work a monster in the text.
          I find the little hole in the stocking quite poignant too.

          Comment


          • #6
            Hi Debs


            You could say that the MJK scene showed a concern for order too.

            Comment


            • #7
              Hi Robert

              In what way?

              Comment


              • #8
                Well, the organs were on the bed, and what was left was placed on the table. Nothing thrown over the murderer's shoulder or chucked across the room, as in the more lurid reports.


                It reminds me of a man taking apart a watch, with the intention of putting it back together again.


                If there was frenzy, it seems to have been during the throat-cutting - after which, he settled down to do some exploring.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, I see what you mean Robert. Everything placed somewhere close as if to be able to locate it again. I had never really thought about her flesh being placed on the table and her organs on the bed, interesting.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                    Cheers How.
                    I'm trying to make some sense of the accompanying article.
                    The first paragraph says something along the lines of the copper rings were found placed carefully at her feet after being ripped from her fingers along with a few other belongings. It then goes on to say this showed an astonishing concern for order in a monster who left his horrible work on show.
                    I noticed the hole in the stocking also. Very touching. I wonder if the drawing could have been done by a fine artist. Maybe someone who became famous later did artwork for the publication in 1888. (Maybe Sickert was moonlighting and drew from memory?)

                    Interestingly the caption under the picture says, "At HIS feet there were two copper rings and some coins." Why HIS and not her?
                    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi Anna


                      If memory serves, the form is determined by the gender of the object rather than the gender of the person. Here the object(s) are plural so it is ses, regardless of gender of object.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Robert Linford View Post
                        Hi Anna


                        If memory serves, the form is determined by the gender of the object rather than the gender of the person. Here the object(s) are plural so it is ses, regardless of gender of object.
                        OK. That makes sense. We might say, "at the feet"?
                        The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          "At the feet had been ploced two rungs of kipper and some ponies."


                          Regards


                          Officer Crabtree

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X