Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Annie having a reaction to her meds ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Was Annie having a reaction to her meds ?

Strangulation isn't the only cause of a swollen tongue.
    Could she have simply had an allergic reaction to the meds she was taking ?
    Donovan and Evans both claimed she was a little worse for drink , yet Phillips was adamant she hadn't drunk any alcohol .
    What if her speech was a little slurred due to a swollen tongue , throwing Donovan and Evans a little ?
    You can lead a horse to water....

Somewhere, a doctor opined that Annie had an inflammation or congestion of the brain and that she probably only had a few days to live. If I remember correctly, she had had seizures at times...????? Heaven only knows what kind of "medicine" she had which could have been anything from sugar pills to strychnine or mercury.

If she had an inflammation of the brain, her speech could have been affected. Both sides of the brain have to work together to produce coherent speech. (I have had so many severe migraines that I have holes in the middle of my brain and my ability to speak clearly comes and goes.)

Annie could also have fallen while walking around in the dark or she could have been roughed up by a street gang. There are lots of reasons her tongue could have been swollen.

But then, how much credence do we put on Cadosh hearing, "No, no, no," from the other side of the fence?
    The wickedness of the world is the dream of the plague.~~Voynich Manuscript

Comment

Originally posted by Anna Morris View Post
      Somewhere, a doctor opined that Annie had an inflammation or congestion of the brain and that she probably only had a few days to live. If I remember correctly, she had had seizures at times...????? Heaven only knows what kind of "medicine" she had which could have been anything from sugar pills to strychnine or mercury.

If she had an inflammation of the brain, her speech could have been affected. Both sides of the brain have to work together to produce coherent speech. (I have had so many severe migraines that I have holes in the middle of my brain and my ability to speak clearly comes and goes.)

Annie could also have fallen while walking around in the dark or she could have been roughed up by a street gang. There are lots of reasons her tongue could have been swollen.

But then, how much credence do we put on Cadosh hearing, "No, no, no," from the other side of the fence?
      Hi Anna
      Very little as he couldn't tell us whether it was a male or female voice or from which side it came .
      If it was anything to do with Chapman then Cadosch heard no other words spoken in the time he went back out until he heard something touch the fence .
      I can't imagine a scenario where Annie and a killer would be standing in the yard for 5 minutes , not talking , hearing Cadosch trump up and down the yard and then strike .
      Doesn't seem realistic
      You can lead a horse to water....

Comment

Originally posted by Packers Stem View Post
        Hi Anna
        Very little as he couldn't tell us whether it was a male or female voice or from which side it came .
        If it was anything to do with Chapman then Cadosch heard no other words spoken in the time he went back out until he heard something touch the fence .
        I can't imagine a scenario where Annie and a killer would be standing in the yard for 5 minutes , not talking , hearing Cadosch trump up and down the yard and then strike .
        Doesn't seem realistic
        I think it takes several minutes to manually strangle someone to death. Maybe the killer just kept squeezing while Cadosh was across the fence. Although there were blood splashes against the fence so I figured her heart was still beating when her throat was cut.

Comment

Hi all,

Do we know what medication Annie was supposedly taking at the time? As Anna said, you'd imagine that whatever it was would've been not particularly helpful - probably prescribed by a quack if anything.

But yes, as Anna also said, Annie was apparently close to death regardless, so it is possible that the swollen tongue could've been a side effect from some condition she was already suffering badly from.

Cheers,
          Adam.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Went View Post

Do we know what medication Annie was supposedly taking at the time? As Anna said, you'd imagine that whatever it was would've been not particularly helpful - probably prescribed by a quack if anything.
            Not too many quacks at St Bart's. According to Timothy Donovan, lodging-house deputy:

"After the deceased left on Monday last he found two large bottles in the room, one containing medicine, and labelled as follows: 'St. Bartholomew's Hospital. Take two tablespoonfuls three times a day.' The other bottle contained a milky lotion, and was labelled 'St. Bartholomew's Hospital. The lotion. Poison.' This confirmed her statement that she had been taking medical treatment."

- Daily News, 10th Sept 1888
            Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
            (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Milky lotion labelled poison? Mercury? The bottle by spoonfuls? An opiate? Didn't she go to the infirmary because she was battered by another woman over a sliver of soap?

The torn envelope contained a pill or two? Heaven knows what those might have been.

I think the crux of the question is it was said Annie had a congestion of the brain or inflammation of the brain or something. Some say this means syphilis.

(Apologies to all, my main books for reference are not available to me at this time.)

Comment

I don't recall that the nature of the medicine, lotion or pills was ever recorded, sadly. As to the inflammation of the membranes of the brain, some have suggested (meningeal) tuberculosis, which causes weakness, general ill-being and seizures - all of which I believe Chapman is reported to having suffered from. Poor thing must have been in a terrible state, whatever the cause.
                Kind regards, Sam Flynn

"Suche Nullen"
                (F. Nietzsche)

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Flynn View Post
                  I don't recall that the nature of the medicine, lotion or pills was ever recorded, sadly. As to the inflammation of the membranes of the brain, some have suggested (meningeal) tuberculosis, which causes weakness, general ill-being and seizures - all of which I believe Chapman is reported to having suffered from. Poor thing must have been in a terrible state, whatever the cause.
                  I thought the pills, dispensed in a little cardboard box which fell apart, thus a couple pills ended up in the torn end of the envelope from the rooming house floor, were the result of a trip to the infirmary/hospital after Eliza ______ battered Annie over the soap.

So what kind of pills? For pain? Quinine? For sleep? Valerian? Bayer had barely invented aspirin by that time, if they had at all.

Quinine reduces fever and stops muscle cramps. It can also have a bad effect if a person has a cardiac condition.

Comment

Hi Sam,

Please forgive my being so dense on the subject. Do we know whether the bottles were specifically made out in Annie's name? If so, wouldn't she have had to pay something for them, even if they came from a hospital? I'm just considering the possibility that the medicine may have belonged to somebody else, or been borrowed by Annie.

Cheers,
                    Adam.

Comment

Working...
                    X