'Yungstreet Andersen' / Frank Andersen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Howard Brown View Post
    As good a place as any to put this photo.

Castle Garden circa 1892

That’s a great shot. It would certainly be post closure in 1890.

Talk about deserted. Whether he was lying or mistaken, this is what it would have looked like if George Damon went there to look for immigrant workers.

Comment

As RJ recently pointed out, there was an Exchange Bureau after all working out of Castle Gardens even after it was closed to incoming immigrants. The German and Irish Societies managed to procure and maintain a spot in Castle Gardens for a Labor Bureau by July 1890 until they were granted their promised spot at the Barge Office late in 1891.

https://www.jtrforums.com/forum/the-...ievable-or-not

Others though thought there was nothing going on there. The NY Parks president and commissioner thought Castle Garden should be sold to the parks department because the buildings were "unused". I'm not sure that Damon would have kept up with the news or been interested in negotiating with these benevolent Societies. They would have traded names and it would have been recorded. Damon mentions none of that but that might also be why I personally believe he altered the date of hire, so no one would find what was there or, more like it, find what was not there.

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/106072264/
      https://www.newspapers.com/clip/106072411/

Comment

The same article that mentions “Yungstreet” also says that suspect Rossimel was going to be sent to the Tombs to be put before Mary Miniter to see if he could be IDed as Kniclo. He only knew some of the girls and was there when one of them drowned.

www.jtrforums.com/filedata/fetch?id=590183

Yungstreet was simply examined by Byrnes and then released with a fine for intoxication. This was a man who fit the description and said he was there at the East River Hotel the night of the murder.

Were the police “line-ups” at the Tombs publicized before or early on the 26th, and did that make Y Anderson confess to being there?

Comment

Yungstreet was simply examined by Byrnes and then released with a fine for intoxication. This was a man who fit the description and said he was there at the East River Hotel the night of the murder.

The police would have taken Russmissell, Anderson, and anyone else they felt matched Miniter's description before Miniter for her to either acknowledge or reject them as being the man she had seen with Brown on the 23rd. They both were rejected.
          To Join JTR Forums :
          Contact [email protected]

Comment

Do you have any info saying Miniter left the Tombs to do this.

The stories were carried by the NY World on Monday April 27th. They are mentioned one after the other in the same article.

...A reporter for THE WORLD, who went aboard the Colorado last night, found Rossmissell in a very uneasy frame of mind. He said that it had occurred to him that he answered the description of the murderer, and added that on the night of the murder he was aboard the ship. He is under police surveillance and is to be brought face to face with Mary Miniter today.
            The number of persons who visited the Morgue yesterday and asked permission to look at the body of old "Shakespeare" was very large. The attendant, Mr. Finnegan, denied permission to many, some of whom were from the Fourth Ward. During the afternoon a man who said he was John F. Flower, of No. 849 East One Hundred and Sixty-first street, came in and said he had employed old "Shakespeare" as a servant two years ago. She told him then that she had married Charles Brown, captain of a ship, but that he had died. He had not seen her for nearly two years.

ANDERSEN'S STRAIGHT STORY.

Among the prisoners taken to the Seventh Precinct Police Station yesterday afternoon was a man about thirty years old, who had been arrested on a charge of being drunk and disorderly on the street.
            When arraigned at the bar his appearance, features, height, age and dress so closely resembled the description of the East River Hotel murderer that the officer on duty began to question him.
            He replied to the questions promptly, and although under the influence of liquor quickly appreciated the fact that he was suspected of being the murderer of the old woman. "I am not in any way connected with that crime," he said, "but I did spend a night at the hotel where the murder was committed - the same night the woman was killed." I went there with a female companion, hired a room and we slept there. I left the next morning, and knew nothing of the crime until I saw it in the papers." The man gave the name of Yungstreet Andersen, thirty years old, a Swede, and said he was a seafaring man with no home in this city.
            He was sent to Police Headquarters and after being examined by Inspector Byrnes, was returned to the station-house, where he was released yesterday, after being fined for intoxication.

Comment

Working...
            X