George Damon, in a Minuteman Ancestry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• George Damon, in a Minuteman Ancestry

I looked into Damon's background on Ancestry Family Trees and found out he was the great grandson of a Minuteman - Ebenezer Damon (1737-1812)

P.S. Just found this out - Might be related to Matt Damon through g. grandfather Ebenezer Damon.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surn...ics/damon/473/

I'll pass this along to Nina, Mark...thanks !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

Comment

Mark:

Nina has investigated the Damon family ( for some time ) and asked me to pass it on that if Matt Damon were related it wouldn't have been a direct relation although the surname is obviously the same.

Good effort, nevertheless.
      To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

Speaking of Damon, here's a PDF entitled, Big Noise In Cranford.
        Attached Files
        To Join JTR Forums :

Comment

This below was the original post about Matt Damon's revolutionary war ancestor. The first reply was about George Damon's great grandfather. I think Matt was one of those Family Roots shows that are now on Youtube. There were probably more than a few Damons in the war.

https://www.genealogy.com/forum/surn...ics/damon/447/

Comment

...if Matt Damon were related it wouldn't have been a direct relation although the surname is obviously the same.

I looked at male line too which you would be looking at as you follow the name. (I started genealogy by following an in-law's male line 400 years back to the Mayflower just to see if it was true. It was.) I didn't see any shared ancestor right away.

But I happened to notice that Ebenezer's mother's side had Damon's too on Wikitree.

https://www.wikitree.com/genealogy/D...amily-Tree-742

So I went out on a limb on that branch and I believe I have this guy as a shared ancestor between Matt Damon and George Damon:

Henry Damon
            Birth about 1562
            Kent, England

Death 22 Aug. 1637
            Kent, England

Link to Matt Damon's Geneanet Tree leading back to Henry Damon.

Comment

P.S. Actually Wikitree doesn't go back as far as Geneanet but it looks like the male line of Ebenezer Damon would have the same shared ancestor from the 16th Century if correct. I missed it the first time.

Comment

My new view of George Damon is that he was probably feigning fear of Frank etc. I can definitely see Damon going down to the bar at the East River Hotel.

I have personal experience of the fearlessness or recklessness of Loyalists who moved north. I can only imagine a revolutionary.

So he was feigning fear if it was fear for himself. He might have been in fear for his family though. That was his best excuse.

Comment

Working...
                X