Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thomas Conway Prison record

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Thomas Conway Prison record

    Hi all

    I came across a record of Thomas Conway being sent to prison for 2 months in 1903.
    The name, age, occupation and place of birth all fit although the Sheffield City link needs some verification.
    Attached Files
    If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

  • #2
    Very nice, Tracy.....thanks a lot for posting it !
    To Join JTR Forums :
    Contact [email protected]

    Comment


    • #3
      No worries How
      If you're going to be two-faced at least make one of them pretty.

      Comment


      • #4
        Hi Tracy,

        Thanks for posting.

        I imagine that wilful damage equates to the modern equivalent of criminal damage. In Conway's case I imagine this conviction relates to his drunken shenanigans.

        My best wishes,

        Sean.

        Comment


        • #5
          thanks

          Hello Tracy. Thanks for posting this.

          Young Thomas is perhaps my chief research interest at the moment.

          Well done!

          Cheers.
          LC

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks Tracy!,

            From the Thomas Conway Wiki.

            Upon his discharge, he was described as aged 24, 5ft 5ins tall with a fresh complexion, grey eyes and light brown hair. His trade was given as labourer and he intended to live in Beverley, Yorkshire.

            If I am reading your transcript correctly, this guy you found was 5'1 3/4" with Brn. hair or eyes? Shrunk a little from age perhaps. Laborer fits with the military discharge above too, although I think he is sometimes listed as hawker as well. Sheffield City is in Yorkshire, is it not?

            I do know that wherever he went his sons seemed to follow. In 1901 he is still listed at Parker Street, St George Hanover Square, living with Thomas Jr. Thomas Sr. is listed as a "Hawker of Cutlery". Maybe he was selling Sheffield knives?

            Comment


            • #7
              Sheff Daily Tel 16th April 1903
              Attached Files

              Comment


              • #8
                The Sheffield Independent of 9th January, 1903 described the window-smashing Conway as a 'stranger to Sheffield'.

                Comment


                • #9
                  In 1901 there was a 65-year-old stone waller (mason) named Thomas Conway living at a Mrs Bennet's Lodging House in West Bar Green, Sheffield. His place of birth was given as Canada and there are at least a couple of 'Mayos' in Canada.

                  Subsequently (1906), there was a stone mason named TC of the same age in Southwark Workhouse with family in Brooklyn.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                    In 1901 there was a 65-year-old stone waller (mason) named Thomas Conway living at a Mrs Bennet's Lodging House in West Bar Green, Sheffield. His place of birth was given as Canada and there are at least a couple of 'Mayos' in Canada.

                    Subsequently (1906), there was a stone mason named TC of the same age in Southwark Workhouse with family in Brooklyn.
                    Gary, is that the one who also had a son named Thomas who was living with an uncle in Brooklyn and a married daughter named Emily Phipps?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Debra Arif View Post
                      Gary, is that the one who also had a son named Thomas who was living with an uncle in Brooklyn and a married daughter named Emily Phipps?
                      Yes, that's the one. Uncle Martin ran the hotel (lodging house?) in Brooklyn and there was a son also called Martin. I wondered whether he might have been the same man as the one in Sheffield in 1901 because of the coincidence of the name, age, occupation and North American connection.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Gary Barnett View Post
                        Yes, that's the one. Uncle Martin ran the hotel (lodging house?) in Brooklyn and there was a son also called Martin. I wondered whether he might have been the same man as the one in Sheffield in 1901 because of the coincidence of the name, age, occupation and North American connection.
                        And there was a second daughter, Mary Connell, of 'Chiswick Cumberland'.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X